Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 11-27-2018, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by David2018
So I scouted again yesterday to get more familiar with my stand area. Found good trails in and out of a couple cypress domes but no rubs. Those domes are so thick I don't know how you would ever get in there and setup a stand much less make a shot. Guy at the gate said that's where they live due to so much pressure. Oh well. I do have an issue to deal with... parked the truck and headed in down one of the plowed trails that goes about 50 yards before it turns to the right. There is a trail that goes into and through the pines if you go straight, which is where I go to reach a more open area for walking. Apparantly someone put a stand up about thirty yards into the pines trail looking out at the plowed trail; stand is facing the road. So my question is this... if I get there first, do I make my walk and pass their stand (about twenty yards away)? Doesn't seem cool. If I am there after they setup for the AM I definitely shouldn't go in. That's gonna result in moving my entry and adding about 3/4 mile to my walk in. Hopefully it is an archery stand and gone next week when gun quota 1 begins.

Count at 471 gate as of 11/21: 8 deer (3 bucks, an 8, 6, spike) and 2 hogs.

Good luck to you archers for the last hunt this Turkey Weekend!
I've run into that before. It's a dick move on the person that stuck the stand there. And yes I have walked right past them, but for the most part if I know its there unless I'm pulling on of my mulit-mile hikes in I just vacate the area generally a hunter like that has screwed up the area anyways and there is another 50k acres to stomp around in. You might mention it to an FWC officer in passing. I don't believe you can setup to shoot down a marked road and that includes 2 tracks, but I'm not certain of that.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Spike

Thanks. Are u hunting during the first 9 days of GG? I got the 12/1 - 12/4 draw. Just checked weather again for tomorrow and can't justify the 90 mile drive with a good chance of getting rained on. Thinking of waiting till Sunday. My luck, there won't be a drop of rain up there tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. Are u hunting during the first 9 days of GG? I got the 12/1 - 12/4 draw. Just checked weather again for tomorrow and can't justify the 90 mile drive with a good chance of getting rained on. Thinking of waiting till Sunday. My luck, there won't be a drop of rain up there tomorrow.
Yeah I'm gonna make a few appearances during the 12/5 to 12/9 quota. BTW you are one hard core hunter to drive 90 miles to hunt GS. I've hunted it because it's a 10 minute drive from my house. And a day in the swamp is better then a day at work!!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:36 PM
Spike

Default holy way too many hunters batman

Made my way out today and holy crap, was there a get 1 quota get 6 more event today, I don't think I ever seen that many hunters there before. I drove around the entire property at one point and every 1/4 mile or less was another truck, along the river and it was much more then that. a couple guys thought hey this road is packed so I will park right behind you and go into the same woods and walk down the same trails, if you read this all your trail markers have been cut down Jackass. any who I don't imagine that many quotas were given out, I wonder how many actually have quotas. insane. not good for the land not good for hunting in every way. they should do a quota check. it was ridicules.

Last edited by truthinthematt; 12-01-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by truthinthematt
Made my way out today and holy crap, was there a get 1 quota get 6 more event today, I don't think I ever seen that many hunters there before. I drove around the entire property at one point and every 1/4 mile or less was another truck, along the river and it was much more then that. a couple guys thought hey this road is packed so I will park right behind you and go into the same woods and walk down the same trails, if you read this all your trail markers have been cut down Jackass. any who I don't imagine that many quotas were given out, I wonder how many actually have quotas. insane. not good for the land not good for hunting in every way. they should do a quota check. it was ridicules.
There are 750 quotas given out for each hunt. Go monday and it won't look so bad, but yeah opening weekend is a jungle of orange.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:29 AM
Spike

Thumbs down

Holy cow. I haven't made it out there yet. Looking at Monday or Tuesday, maybe both. Hope things calm down some.
BTW - are you saying the guys at the gate do NOT check your license and quota permit? If that's the case, that is crazy. Seems like that would pretty much be their only job to make sure everyone is legal and safe.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Spike

Holy cow. I haven't made it out there yet. Looking at Monday or Tuesday, maybe both. Hope things calm down some.
BTW - are you saying the guys at the gate do NOT check your license and quota permit? If that's the case, that is crazy. Seems like that would pretty much be their only job to make sure everyone is legal and safe.
your quota and license is only checked if you check anything you shot.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

your quota and license is only checked if you check anything you shot.
Yep. But that being said it is the only WMA I have ever been stopped in and randomly checked by FWC for license and quota.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default Slow start!

Been checking this page out for a while. You guys are great. So i sat from dark to dark yesterday and today. Seen the same doe and yearling both sits. I would like to think that when they start chasin they will come thru. Both days i had to have heard 10 shots minimum in the morning. Yet no deer and only 2 hogs, both taken today. Out of 471that's is. Any rockridge numbers?
Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone got today's kill Board Numbers? I'll be out there Wednesday and Thurs so I'll try to make it to each station to update those numbers then. I'm curious if anyone has brought anything in over the first quota days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.