Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 01-08-2018, 04:53 PM
Spike

Don't worry about which entrance. It doesn't matter. Deer are moving now. Find somewhere you like and no one else is. Sit as long as you can. You won't get a lot of action but you will see something if you're patient.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Spike

Default they are moving now

last month was a stinker, saw 1 buck on the river side and that was it, last two weekends shot 3. seems like January has been a good month for most. one of my spots is only a couple hundred yards off a road, seen deer every time i sat at that stand. for you new guys to green swamp i don't think anyone will give up their spots but ill tell you this you will do just fine if you can find a good pine patch surrounded by some cypress swamps. area with large palms are good to, i was walking a trail yesterday that was made of large palms and cypress , a monster doe was running towards me, it was finally came to a stop about 20 feet from me then just stood there for a good 30 seconds ... o boy had that been bow season. gist of the story is the deer are moving keep at it and look for those signs. fresh trails, fresh tracks, scraps and the best one of all, deer!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default the thing about green swamp is...

Originally Posted by Jay_Hunter
Hi everyone, new to the forum here. This thread has a wealth of knowledge and I've enjoyed reading all the posts. I have never hunted GS but plan on making a trip there this weekend. Do you guys recommend the Rock Ridge entrance or the 471 entrance? I've hunted turkey down in the Everglades but I have never been to GS. Any other tips you think would be beneficial are appreciated. Thanks
as the title says, the thing about green swamp in my opinion is it takes a little time to learn, you can do what many do and just head over to the river but you will find that it gets quite crowded on that side of the swamp, Personally i always hunt 471 but I'm sure rock ridge isn't all that different, what many will tell you is scout, scout, scout, sit sit sit. there is lots and lots of deer, but they are swamp rats, its rare you will catch them in an open field.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by truthinthematt
last month was a stinker, saw 1 buck on the river side and that was it, last two weekends shot 3. seems like January has been a good month for most. one of my spots is only a couple hundred yards off a road, seen deer every time i sat at that stand. for you new guys to green swamp i don't think anyone will give up their spots but ill tell you this you will do just fine if you can find a good pine patch surrounded by some cypress swamps. area with large palms are good to, i was walking a trail yesterday that was made of large palms and cypress , a monster doe was running towards me, it was finally came to a stop about 20 feet from me then just stood there for a good 30 seconds ... o boy had that been bow season. gist of the story is the deer are moving keep at it and look for those signs. fresh trails, fresh tracks, scraps and the best one of all, deer!
U killed 3 bucks in gs in 2 weeks, congrats on that! Any size to em
Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
U killed 3 bucks in gs in 2 weeks, congrats on that! Any size to em
I 7pt 132, 1 6pt 121 and a 4pt 113, the two smaller ones came out of the same spot , it’s a pretty good honey hole, I see deer every time I hunt it, the bigger one came out of a pretty deep spot in the swamp, I was on foot when I shot him.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I 7pt 132, 1 6pt 121 and a 4pt 113, the two smaller ones came out of the same spot , it’s a pretty good honey hole, I see deer every time I hunt it, the bigger one came out of a pretty deep spot in the swamp, I was on foot when I shot him.
Damn dude thats great!!! Heck of a honey hole u got there! Whats the kill report lookin like there
Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Spike

Default I guess I’ve been lucky thus far

I’ve guess I’ve been pretty lucky thus far , I started coming to gs last small game season , since then I have probably 100 miles of scouting miles and it paid off with 3 deer, I’m guessing I will be able to add a couple more next season with archery, I’ve even found a pretty good spot that should get me a turkey in March but with all that said I have yet to see a single Hog, obviously they are there, with all the rooting but crap if I know where they are bedding. Any tips , I would like one over the next 2 weekends.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

I’ve guess I’ve been pretty lucky thus far , I started coming to gs last small game season , since then I have probably 100 miles of scouting miles and it paid off with 3 deer, I’m guessing I will be able to add a couple more next season with archery, I’ve even found a pretty good spot that should get me a turkey in March but with all that said I have yet to see a single Hog, obviously they are there, with all the rooting but crap if I know where they are bedding. Any tips , I would like one over the next 2 weekends.
I really don't target hogs, id trade 100 hogs over a nice buck. Id say find the water and ull find the hogs
Old 01-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
Damn dude thats great!!! Heck of a honey hole u got there! Whats the kill report lookin like there
at 471 when i left on saturday bucks was at 35 i think the largest was an 8 or 9 pt at 145 pounds.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

at 471 when i left on saturday bucks was at 35 i think the largest was an 8 or 9 pt at 145 pounds.
Not too bad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.