Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by saltydog7seas
Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is. I uploaded them to photobucket and copied the image link. I need to figure it out, I'm pretty proud of that deer.
And very well shud be! I cant wait to see him! Congrats man
Old 01-31-2017, 01:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
Hang in there bud ull get ya one! Howd u do in croom?
Thanks man, I'm going to keep at it, plan to do plenty of scouting before next season. I saw a lot of deer at Croom, just no legal shooters. Only got in on the last few weeks of gun though. I'll be scouting there too, and going to try to hunt archery next year also.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Spike

Hey guys. Just joined the Huntingnet site and thought this might be a good thread to look into. I don't do much on the computer but am trying to make a better effort. I'm looking to do some hog hunting in the central Fl. area at the end of Feb. 2017. We come down to the sunny south every winter for a week or 2 and because of an understandiung wife I usually get to hunt a few days. I've hunted hogs in Green Swamp, Croom and Hilochee. Usually hunting only when small game season is open which means no centerfire rifle; hunted with a pistol and a slug gun. Have killed a few small (100#) hogs but am still looking for something with tusks. Thinking I should try to get on some private property (not typical for me, I'm a DIY public land hunter). If anyone is interested in working with me I'd appreciate it. I own a campground in central PA and am adjacent to 200,000 acres of huntable State Forest land. Would love to work out some type of hunting or fishing swap deal. Thanks for reading, replying and providing any useful advice.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Central PA Sportsman
Hey guys. Just joined the Huntingnet site and thought this might be a good thread to look into. I don't do much on the computer but am trying to make a better effort. I'm looking to do some hog hunting in the central Fl. area at the end of Feb. 2017. We come down to the sunny south every winter for a week or 2 and because of an understandiung wife I usually get to hunt a few days. I've hunted hogs in Green Swamp, Croom and Hilochee. Usually hunting only when small game season is open which means no centerfire rifle; hunted with a pistol and a slug gun. Have killed a few small (100#) hogs but am still looking for something with tusks. Thinking I should try to get on some private property (not typical for me, I'm a DIY public land hunter). If anyone is interested in working with me I'd appreciate it. I own a campground in central PA and am adjacent to 200,000 acres of huntable State Forest land. Would love to work out some type of hunting or fishing swap deal. Thanks for reading, replying and providing any useful advice.
Best bet in this area is public land, people are purty greedy with private access around here...Pry the best small game season for bigger size hogs is in Green Swamp West WMA near dade city, they have 2 hunts last weekend of Feb. And first weekend of march they are fri.-sun. Hunt days, but its first come first serve, I beleive 60 permits, so gotta be there early to wait in line(pry 4 or 430 am) at the latest to be sure to get a hog permit
Old 02-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice, as it looks now I may only be able to hunt mid week and I believe I might end up in the Croom WMA small gaming for a hog, got one there a couple years ago. If you can think of anything else please forward info I'd love to hear. Also, again I just want to through it out there I'd be willing to swap opportunities, hogs for hunting (WT, Bear, Turkey) or fishing we have a great all season location here in central PA
Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Spike

Hey guys. New here as well, I found this thread searching for hog hunting green swamp. Figured I'd register and post a few questions. I've never hunted Florida before, I usually hunt out of state with my grandfather, but this year I've got an itching to get out and do a little more hunting than usual. I missed all the seasons really but thought I'd go out for small game in green swamp this weekend, and maybe green swamp west next weekend and beginning of march. Got my license and management area permit already.

1) I called the FWC with some questions and they said the 471 check station doesn't open until 530. Is there really that many folks out there early in the morning that you have to arrive an hour early and wait in line to get a hog permit, even during small game season?

2) I'll probably call and check on this, but shotgun is legal to take in this area as well? I don't own a shotgun right now so I was going to do some still hunting with my bow. Probably no chance in hell, but at least I'm getting out there and learning some things.

3) Is it generally pretty busy out there for small game season? I was kinda expecting it to be quiet, but sounds like I need to be all oranged up and getting out there early.

I read an article about them trapping up a bunch of hogs back in 07'. Are they still running that program? How has the hog population been since? Seems like it's tough hunting out there.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Spike

Also curious, what the rules are on road access. I'll ask the guy at the check station I guess, but how do I know where I can drive and where I can park. Honestly it looks like the WMA is totally criss-crossed with roads, and there's not a lot of woods that are over a mile or two from a road.

Edit: The brochure says named roads only, I think I got a handle on that, and that definitely changes the equation a little bit. I like that because I like to walk, and less roads means more opportunity for me, but I am sure GS is still crowded anyway. Any tips for getting away from the popular spots would be great.

Is Logging Rd a named road or is that just a "logging road". Maybe someone could look at the map I'm building and see if I have all the major roads on there. This is how I learn about an area online before I get out there for the first time. https://caltopo.com/m/849C (I know my outline for the WMA is not right, it's just an approximation, I am not going to be flirting with any land boundaries.)

Is there any way to connect up to the eastern set of roads from the 471 check station entrance?

Last edited by mvmnts; 02-16-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Spike

Default new to wma

looking for just a little what to do... for for ever i hunted on a lease, well they decided to go pretty nazi with the property and raise my the dues to 2500 for 2 dear and no more turkey so i gave them the CA wave good bye. Now im going to try my luck with hunting wma, ive hiked gs since i was a kid just never hunted it, so i thought i would take my boy hunting on the 5th which the last day of small game, mostly to scout for spring turkey. any who to get a daily tag do i just go to the 471 check in station and get one, is there anything i need to do or know, any other info or advice??? thanks... hope to see you all in the woods.

~Matt
Old 03-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Flaboy 18, Your mailbox is full.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RPD63
Flaboy 18, Your mailbox is full.
Copy deleted Sum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.