Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 11-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

This weekend should be decent for huntin, with cooler temps and winds much less than they have been, deer oughta move better
Old 11-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Spike

Hey everyone. This is my first post on here. Born and raised in Pasco. 36 now and I've hunted off and on since I was a kid and I still haven't been able to shoot a hog or deer. I used to hunt around lower suwannee a lot and finally got the chance to hunt GS last year.
On mornings I hunt I shower with the Dead Down Wind setup. Use the dirt deodorant and cover scent. I'm usually in a tree an hour before sunup until half hour after sunset (minus about 2 hours for lunch). It's been frustrating to say the least.
Last year I hunted off Tanic and Powder a good bit and then towards the river some. I hunted in the cypress /bay hammocks, on the edges and "What I understand to be) funnels. I wear the walmart special rubber boots that come up to about my knee so I try to avoid water deeper than that. I wish I had more time to scout but GS is a 2 hour round trip drive for me. I still put in quite a bit of miles walking but it seems like every time I saw signs there was already a stand there. Every time I go and try to push further I just keep wondering how far is "too far"? I don't want to be 2 miles in the deep stuff when I shoot something and then not be able to haul it out. I feel like I have to be doing something wrong but I have no idea what.
I saw one deer in GS. I was in my stand and someone walking down the trail spooked him. I still haven't seen a GS hog. I heard a sounder on the last day of general gun last year but when I went back for small game there was no sign of them.
I hunter Lower Suwannee last weekend with a friend and he shot his first hog out of my stand site. I sat there 4 times last year and didn't see one. I didn't see much sign when I scouted it but I did see a deer in a spot just down the trail so I decided to hunt it. Turned out to be a poor choice.
I got lucky and drew first day for GS east and west this year. I've never had the chance to hunt west so I'm nervous and hopeful.

I know it's not easy or everyone would be doing it. I just feel like I'm putting in the work but whatever I am doing just isn't good enough. If anyone feels like taking pity on me I would be more than happy to soak up any advice you can throw my way. I can reciprocate with fishing tips if that helps? lol
Thanks, Happy hunting.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by saltydog7seas
Hey everyone. This is my first post on here. Born and raised in Pasco. 36 now and I've hunted off and on since I was a kid and I still haven't been able to shoot a hog or deer. I used to hunt around lower suwannee a lot and finally got the chance to hunt GS last year.
On mornings I hunt I shower with the Dead Down Wind setup. Use the dirt deodorant and cover scent. I'm usually in a tree an hour before sunup until half hour after sunset (minus about 2 hours for lunch). It's been frustrating to say the least.
Last year I hunted off Tanic and Powder a good bit and then towards the river some. I hunted in the cypress /bay hammocks, on the edges and "What I understand to be) funnels. I wear the walmart special rubber boots that come up to about my knee so I try to avoid water deeper than that. I wish I had more time to scout but GS is a 2 hour round trip drive for me. I still put in quite a bit of miles walking but it seems like every time I saw signs there was already a stand there. Every time I go and try to push further I just keep wondering how far is "too far"? I don't want to be 2 miles in the deep stuff when I shoot something and then not be able to haul it out. I feel like I have to be doing something wrong but I have no idea what.
I saw one deer in GS. I was in my stand and someone walking down the trail spooked him. I still haven't seen a GS hog. I heard a sounder on the last day of general gun last year but when I went back for small game there was no sign of them.
I hunter Lower Suwannee last weekend with a friend and he shot his first hog out of my stand site. I sat there 4 times last year and didn't see one. I didn't see much sign when I scouted it but I did see a deer in a spot just down the trail so I decided to hunt it. Turned out to be a poor choice.
I got lucky and drew first day for GS east and west this year. I've never had the chance to hunt west so I'm nervous and hopeful.

I know it's not easy or everyone would be doing it. I just feel like I'm putting in the work but whatever I am doing just isn't good enough. If anyone feels like taking pity on me I would be more than happy to soak up any advice you can throw my way. I can reciprocate with fishing tips if that helps? lol
Thanks, Happy hunting.
Welcome, GS East gets a lot of pressure, therefore a lot of scoutin around is needed in order to have an opportunity at a buck in there. GS West is a good area, low pressure, but is hunted year after year by most of the same people who put up crazy money to hunt in there. Odds of shootin a buck are decent, but if you want to find the bigger bucks in that place gotta put in a lotta scout time n leg work and hope the buck your after is still hangin round durin your 4 day hunt.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Spike

That seems to be one of the frustrations that I keep running into. Seems like every time I find something someone beats me to it before I can get back.
I keep hearing about these high ground areas in the middle of the heads that are like an oasis. Can I get to some of those without having to wade in hip deep water?
Old 11-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by I AM THE WOODS
This weekend should be decent for huntin, with cooler temps and winds much less than they have been, deer oughta move better
Joey with the full moon this weekend, do you ever notice a difference in deer movement during full moons
Old 11-12-2016, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
Joey with the full moon this weekend, do you ever notice a difference in deer movement during full moons
Sometimes I think it all depends on where my stand location is in relation to feedin/beddin areas durin full moon times, went out there this mornin, seen 6 does, no shot opp on any of em, either to far or to thick, 5 of em i seen before 9 this mornin, and one at 530pm
Old 11-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Sometimes I think it all depends on where my stand location is in relation to feedin/beddin areas durin full moon times, went out there this mornin, seen 6 does, no shot opp on any of em, either to far or to thick, 5 of em i seen before 9 this mornin, and one at 530pm
Yea i think a bigger variable than the moon phase is the temperature
Old 11-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
Yea i think a bigger variable than the moon phase is the temperature
Yea cooler temps seem to get em movin better
Old 11-13-2016, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Me n dad rode Croom today to check out harvest numbers, not bad 73 bucks taken between ml and first nine gen. Gun. Biggest was a 166 lb. 10 pt., im gonna hit it up next weekend n see what i can get goin
Old 11-13-2016, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Me n dad rode Croom today to check out harvest numbers, not bad 73 bucks taken between ml and first nine gen. Gun. Biggest was a 166 lb. 10 pt., im gonna hit it up next weekend n see what i can get goin
Good luck man. Ill be in there tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.