Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 02-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
Yea I think that's what happened to the big 8 I had on cam. I think he had ventured a ways to where my cams were because I hadn't seen him since December. Do you usually hunt way back when your finding deer like that one? I haven't got any pics of deer in that class and I ran cams for 2 months or more.
To be honest most of the big bucks I have killed n had on cam ain't been all that far out there...just a matter of findin those little "sweet spots"...I had a few real good ones on cam
Old 02-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by I AM THE WOODS
To be honest most of the big bucks I have killed n had on cam ain't been all that far out there...just a matter of findin those little "sweet spots"...I had a few real good ones on cam
Kinda what I figured. Next year I will have a bike and be able to scout some more spots that I wasn't able to scout this year. Wish I could hunt that place like regular green swamp.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Spike

Kinda what I figured. Next year I will have a bike and be able to scout some more spots that I wasn't able to scout this year. Wish I could hunt that place like regular green swamp.
I wish I could hunt it like the east side too. I'm sure everyone else feels the same, but then it turns into how gs is now. If a majority of the deer look like the ones I saw during hog season in there and the way you guys are describing it, it must be a dream to hunt during the rut. It seems like it's very well managed.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

It is managed well. I overheard one of the wardens talking about the deer counts they do which I knew about but I didn't know they did what he called forest density tests. They basically do tests and take ranges of how far they can see in the woods throughout different spots. I guess helps them figure out when to thin and burn some areas to make them better. I doubt they do that on the east side because that's some thick jungle in most places.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Yea it's a good area...although the number of mature bucks harvested has declined quite a bit over the past 10 years...guys are goin in there droppin 2 yr old 7s n 8s nowadays, I been told by several guys that have hunted it for years that it used to be mostly all mature big racked bucks hArvested, now it seems on an average year pry only about a third of em taken are mature bucks...to be honest I think in about 5 years with these antler regs ya will see good mature deer taken outta GS that would compare to bucks in GSW on a purty regular basis...this past season shows the amount of good deer in GS harvest# was almost the same as last year without the regs...
Old 02-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by I AM THE WOODS
Yea it's a good area...although the number of mature bucks harvested has declined quite a bit over the past 10 years...guys are goin in there droppin 2 yr old 7s n 8s nowadays, I been told by several guys that have hunted it for years that it used to be mostly all mature big racked bucks hArvested, now it seems on an average year pry only about a third of em taken are mature bucks...to be honest I think in about 5 years with these antler regs ya will see good mature deer taken outta GS that would compare to bucks in GSW on a purty regular basis...this past season shows the amount of good deer in GS harvest# was almost the same as last year without the regs...
I think if they really want to start harvesting more mature bucks in somewhere like green GS they need to do several things. First is to make it more accessible to hunters as far as being able to hunt more of the area. Another thing is to relieve some of the pressure that's put on the place even if they have to restrict the numbers of people hunting it. I don't necessarily think GSW has more deer I just think your odds are better because the constant pressure isn't there. I think they also need to be more mindful of a better doe harvest. Most of the deer taken out of GS that were mature deer were still only averaging about 135#. A mature deer in that place a few years ago would weigh 150# with some even higher. I think they need to ditch the hog dog season in there because it only adds to the pressure. I also considered trying to start a sign up to send to FWC for people interested in a late muzzleloader or bow season in there that would be after gen gun is over. It would be another opportunity to hunt the rut and allow people the chance at a mature buck.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I think if they really want to start harvesting more mature bucks in somewhere like green GS they need to do several things. First is to make it more accessible to hunters as far as being able to hunt more of the area. Another thing is to relieve some of the pressure that's put on the place even if they have to restrict the numbers of people hunting it. I don't necessarily think GSW has more deer I just think your odds are better because the constant pressure isn't there. I think they also need to be more mindful of a better doe harvest. Most of the deer taken out of GS that were mature deer were still only averaging about 135#. A mature deer in that place a few years ago would weigh 150# with some even higher. I think they need to ditch the hog dog season in there because it only adds to the pressure. I also considered trying to start a sign up to send to FWC for people interested in a late muzzleloader or bow season in there that would be after gen gun is over. It would be another opportunity to hunt the rut and allow people the chance at a mature buck.
Yup you are correct on all those points, I do believe the antler regs are a "first step" of several to take our hunting opportunities to the next level, I think the doe permits will make a comeback here within the next few years...would only make sense to get the buck population beefed up to get a better buck to doe ratio, then start to thin out a little of the doe herd...This in itself will better the hunting because more bucks less does means more competition amongst bucks for does which makes bucks move more and be more responsive to deer calls...I'm curious to see how it will all play out here in the next few years
Old 03-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Anybody been to the swamp for small game? I will pry get back out there for turkey...
Old 03-05-2016, 04:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I was meaning too...Got a mountain bike..got me side tracked as well as a few other things..Actually I got the bike to scout in the summer time...Cost me 15 dollars at an adult mobile home park..It's a Giant bike..AWESOME condition.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Spike

I made it out there once. Mostly scouting for turkey. A buddy of mine i went with passed on a large boar hog, and we managed to find a couple of good spots loaded with turkeys. I hope they will be there after opener.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.