Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 11-29-2015, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
Well had a great day at croom but no buck. I ended up seeing 15 deer, 2 in the morning and 13 in the evening. The most at one time was 5 but none of them had any head gear. Did find some good scrapes that will be my starting point for next year.
Nice...I seen 11 out there yesterday...one spike rest does...
Old 11-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Spike

I've never made it out to crooms to do any hunting. I've only fished and camped out there. What's the area like out there?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Boosted
I've never made it out to crooms to do any hunting. I've only fished and camped out there. What's the area like out there?
It's a nice area to hunt, mostly open piney woods with maples n oak hammocks, deer population is purty high although doe to buck ratio is said to be like 15 to 1, The area isn't what it was 10-15 years ago, nowadays bucks for the most part are 2.5 years old or less, with that said they do get a few good ones every year outta there. I do believe with these new antler regs in place in a few years Croom will be as good as it once was.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:20 AM
Spike

Guys, I have a few quick questions. Does the wildlife management area open up on Friday, December 4 for scouting? If so what time?

My next question, I plan on putting a ladder Treestand out there. What have you found to be the best ways to secure the stand to the tree to deter and prevent theft? I have seen people chain the top portion of the Treestand to the tree and this seems like a good way to do it, but I'm looking for any other suggestions you have found to be successful. Thanks and have a great week.

Last edited by sometimesbro; 12-01-2015 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sometimesbro
Guys, I have a few quick questions. Does the wildlife management area open up on Friday, December 4 for scouting? If so what time?

My next question, I plan on putting a ladder Treestand out there. What have you found to be the best ways to secure the stand to the tree to deter and prevent theft? I have seen people chain the top portion of the Treestand to the tree and this seems like a good way to do it, but I'm looking for any other suggestions you have found to be successful. Thanks and have a great week.
Gate will be open after 8:00am on Friday.

also I've seen a wide array of different stand securing. I've seen people just lock the stand at the top. I've seen hang on stands left on the tree and they've just removed the strap on ladder sections on the way down. Probably the best one I've seen was a coated cable lock that was about 30 feet long (seriously) weaved thru the ladder section down and back up then around the tree on top and bottom with a big padlock on it. However out there you can't ever really trust that anything will prevent theft only slow it down. I personally just use a climber. Just my .02 cents though.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Boosted
Gate will be open after 8:00am on Friday.

also I've seen a wide array of different stand securing. I've seen people just lock the stand at the top. I've seen hang on stands left on the tree and they've just removed the strap on ladder sections on the way down. Probably the best one I've seen was a coated cable lock that was about 30 feet long (seriously) weaved thru the ladder section down and back up then around the tree on top and bottom with a big padlock on it. However out there you can't ever really trust that anything will prevent theft only slow it down. I personally just use a climber. Just my .02 cents though.
Thanks for the response.
As for the tree stand issue, I agree that the only sure way to prevent theft is to leave nothing in the woods. I was hoping that I would set a ladder stand up, then after I get out of work around 4pm throughout the season I could quickly ease out there with nothing but a pack and gun for the last hour or so before sunset. I'll take your advice and make it difficult to steal and inconvenient as possible.
I'm heading out this friday after work to retrieve a couple cameras that have been soaking for about a week on a promising area, then will be out for the Saturday quota opener.
Good hunting!
Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

I use a python lock on mine I put up this year. If they bring bolt cutters then it doesn't matter what you have they will get it. But if they can bring in the tools to cut it off and then walk the 30 minutes out with an 80lb ladder stand.... Well then I guess they earned it lol
Old 12-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Spike

Hopefully you'll have something promising on your cams. I'm going to try and set a couple that I've got out there Friday afternoon so I can see what's going on in my spot.

Woodsman has a point too. If they want it bad enough they will take it. I wish there were more trustworthy people around but sadly it just isn't the world we live in apparently. I have a double stand I've been thinking of putting up but just get nervous about leaving my stuff on public land. Hell this will be the first year I'm going to stick some cams up. had to run a group of kids from Lake Gibson High off from around my truck last season. No clue what they were up to but they looked a little shocked when I popped out the woods and asked if I could help them.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely check out the Python. I'll be out there checking my cams immediately after work, around 4pm. After a week of them sitting out there, there better be something to see or I was gravely mistaken about the spot being promising! I'll post what I have.
A bunch of high schoolers snooping around a lone truck is trouble for sure!
Old 12-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sometimesbro
Thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely check out the Python. I'll be out there checking my cams immediately after work, around 4pm. After a week of them sitting out there, there better be something to see or I was gravely mistaken about the spot being promising! I'll post what I have.
A bunch of high schoolers snooping around a lone truck is trouble for sure!
Yeah really. When I was leaving a couple weeks ago was talking to the gatekeeper and we sat there and watched a group of about 10 unload out of a pickup grab a bow and tree stand and haul it off into the woods. Only thing wrong was that they were ohhhhh id say about 75 yards from the gate and check stand on the campsite side. People like that who don't pay attention to whats going on worry me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.