Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 01-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Spike

Its sad to see such a small amount of game coming out of that area. If only the fwc managed the land....
Old 01-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Spike

I believe that the reason that we see very little is more to do with the amount of pressure and the fact that it is so thick. If you spend some time and walk around you will see that there is a lot of game sign. In fact, there is more game sign than in places that I see a lot more game. I think many of us have a misconception of when the rut is. Hunting peak rut is very difficult. This is when the deer are breeding and they generally hold up in the thick stuff. We want to hunt the pre rut. This is when the deer are chasing, fighting, and seeking. I shot a buck on December 1st that was in rut. The majority of the deer go into pre rut in January. Hunting peek rut will do nothing to improve the hunting.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

some of what ya say is true but in the swamp a lot of the deer go thru several rut phases...so yea they will breed but then after a few days they are lookin for other does to again so they begin seekin n chasin again...and the big mature bucks will be travelin most durin peak rut times because they do alot of breedin so bein Feb. is peak rut time this is when the does in estrus are at a high point more reason for the big boys to move around more...i seen a buck in the swamp runnin a doe in march durin turkey season and i have heard other people say they have seen bucks runn does in april even in there...
Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Spike

I am the Woods, I share a very similar story with you. A couple years back in Georgia, I was hunting on Fort Benning when I shot an 8 point buck. I spent more than two hours looking for a blood trail, nothing. It haunted me for days. Three days later, I took my son out and we spotted a nice shooter from a distance. I took the shot and he dropped not even 20 yards. When I walked up on, we noticed it had been shot right behind the right shoulder. The odd thing was the bullet didn't penetrate the cavity. It traveled through the skin and under the shoulder without piercing any meet. This was the buck I shot at several days before, no doubt about it. This should not have happened as I was shooting a 30-06. I guess, some things just can't be explained. I will forever more do my best to hope for better shot placements. Good luck guys.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

well i was able to drop another hog today...bout 50 lbs....good smokin size...
Old 01-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

also guys...Check station guy informed me seems they have an online survey in place to try to move up the season dates in Green Swamp...web address is http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GSHunter Fill it out n share with fellow Green Swamp Hunters...This would make the general gun season from early dec. to early feb....to better align with the main rut
Old 01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Spike

Congrats on the hog and thanks for the link! late season hunting would be great
Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lvflkid
Congrats on the hog and thanks for the link! late season hunting would be great
thanks n yea no prob...gettin them dates moved up would help out everybody
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Well today I decided to try and hunt and hopefully stay dry. Before 715 I was soaked to the bone so I decided its time to go home and rest before work be says this wasn't fun being wet. So I'm in my truck and driving to the check station when I round a corner and see something. I grabbed my binocs and looked at it and it was a buck! It was standing broadside looking right at me. I eased out of my truck and racked a shell in my gun and propped up to take a shot. That's when it went bad. As I look through the scope it's nothing but fog, water drops, and blur. I found what looked like the buck in my crosshairs and took a chance. I found no blood and no deer but I can't be too mad because that was pure luck.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
Well today I decided to try and hunt and hopefully stay dry. Before 715 I was soaked to the bone so I decided its time to go home and rest before work be says this wasn't fun being wet. So I'm in my truck and driving to the check station when I round a corner and see something. I grabbed my binocs and looked at it and it was a buck! It was standing broadside looking right at me. I eased out of my truck and racked a shell in my gun and propped up to take a shot. That's when it went bad. As I look through the scope it's nothing but fog, water drops, and blur. I found what looked like the buck in my crosshairs and took a chance. I found no blood and no deer but I can't be too mad because that was pure luck.
WTF. You shot without identifying your target or what may be beyond? News flash, binocs are for game viewing, not rifle scopes attached to loaded weapons. That's totally irresponsible, reckless and potentially, very dangerous. Perhaps you should take a refresher course in safe hunting protocols. Another reason to stay out of that hell-hole called the Green Swamp. Good grief!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.