Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 01-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Spike

That's what I was hoping to hear. I kind of suspected snakes would be denning in this cooler weather. That's cool that you saw those hogs. I didn't see one hog in 3 lakes while on the road. You really have to do your homework out there and get far, far off the roads.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Spike

Default GS Snakes

GS is a decent WMA to take kids out, especially this time of the year when hunters have thinned out - with lots of orange on. While I would agree that the cooler weather keeps the snake sightings down but if you are getting in close to bayheads you still need to keep an eye out for moccasins and if striking out across palmetto flats watch for rattlers. I have spent over 100 days out here and have come up on a fair number (10) of good sized moccasins, a few pygmy rattlers, but no rattlers. But, about 4 seasons ago came up on a HUGE rattler off South Grade in Richloam. I would always have my guard up in the woods especially with kids if I am walking in very far! Although I like to put in some miles when out alone, when I have any of my kids with me I stay within a reasonable distance from the truck in case of emergencies.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to keep him only in areas where it's not too thick to see what's right in front of you. Like yourself, I can end up walking several miles before noticing. Are any of these snakes aggressive?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Spike

moccasins can be but most of the time they will go the other way
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 AM
Spike

Had a great day, no snakes. Lots of shooting out there with only 5 bucks and 5 pigs taken... at least the ones that were checked in. The more we walked, the harder it was to want to come out. My son thought it was the coolest thing waling through the water to hunt pigs. We go close a couple times. Sit and wait next time will pay off next time.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Finally had some success yesterday. 3 of us covered the trails in an area we have bucks on camera. This is what we came up with...

Old 01-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

goodlookin spike there...i been out there...was able to catch a glimpse of a true green swamp monster but didnt get a shot opp as he came crashin thru thick brush chasin a doe got to see him for a split second he was way outside the ears with tall tines looked to be an 8 or 10 point hopefully get to see him again n geta shot him...other than that not seein much besides a few does...
Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Spike

Congrats. Some may not appreciate the harvest of a spike. But, for those who have hunted the north and have tried hunting here one season can certainly appreciate a legal shooter. You don't always get to be selective down here. Great job!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Spike

Congrats on the spike. What time did you shoot him? Was he chasing?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

I wasn't the lucky one. The guy I was hunting with killed him about 200 yards from my stand. The little guy was not rutting. He was killed about 9:45.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.