Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Does anybody know when the bucks in the green swamp area stop growing racks n start losin velvet?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Spike

Hey, im going to scout green swamp for the first time this friday. Gonna be looking for signs of hog and deer. I got quota permits for there this year and im looking for some advise of a good location to start. I have no problem going through heavy brush
Old 09-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I doubt if you will get any advice,,,the Green Swamp is very hard to hunt...you'll have to put your time in like the rest of us..

Some advice though...
A. If possible, hunt the week days...weekends are packed
B, you will need to invest in a Therma Cell ...mosquitoes can be wicked
C, watch your s step...moccassins every where and the omly poisoness snake in the USA that does not retreat,
D, lock up your climber
E.buy quality rubber boots..i have La Crosse..lasted 8 years.
F, carry a compass...easy to get lost
G. The deer are in the big bay heads..that is no secret...but they are most likely flooded.
H Thete are always more deer killed on the 471 entrance than the Rock Ridge entrance..

That's it from me...if you were helped any..give the praise to God
C7
Old 09-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Spike

Thank you, I appreciate the pointers pn the 471 and bay heads. I invested in a therma cell when I started hunting the swamps in Croom and Chassahowitzka. Last season I got a pair of muck boots; been good to me.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gret12345
Hey, im going to scout green swamp for the first time this friday. Gonna be looking for signs of hog and deer. I got quota permits for there this year and im looking for some advise of a good location to start. I have no problem going through heavy brush
As Chuck said, In Green Swamp you will have to put your time in and pay your dues. The Green Swamp is probably the hardest WMA in this area to hunt. If you work the numbers from the wma harvest reports you will see you will have to consistently rank in the top one percent of hunters to be successful in the Green Swamp. Heavy huntin pressure and some of the smartest deer most will come across make for very hard huntin.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Spike

They also are number one in the state for taking hog and have a much larger number of whitetails pulled out vs my other local wma's; croom and Chassahowitzka.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I know for a fact Croom has the best hunter days to deer kill ratio of the 3 areas. Croom is usually closer to a 10% success rate. Some years Green Swamp has a hundred plus deer killed but thats usaully with over 20,000 hunter days...I have hunted both these areas religiously for 14 years and have seen some years nearly a hundred bucks taken in Croom the first 9 days. Green Swamp is good area for hogs but the deer huntin is tough. I was practically raised in the Green Swamp and know several guys that have killed deer in other places but not been able to drop one in Green Swamp.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Ya deff agree that Croom has alot more success than Green Swamp, last yr they killed alot of deer out of Croom compared to GS
Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

at Croom..do you need a quota ..or is it like the Green Swamp?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chuck7
at Croom..do you need a quota ..or is it like the Green Swamp?
For the first 9 days ya need a quota...after that there are 2 weeks its open to everybody...good deer huntin there although the doe to buck ratio is said to be 15to1 and coyotes are becomin a problem in there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.