HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Greenswamp wma hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/369549-greenswamp-wma-hunters.html)

I AM THE WOODS 08-22-2013 06:43 PM

Seein as the season is gettin closer im startin to prep my gear...wanna start hittin the range soon, problem is im havin a hard time findin 170 grain 30-30 corelokt rounds...any body seein these anywhere? I have looked all over n cant find any no where...i have a hard time switchin from these because they get the job done in thick or open terrain...if all else fails guess i will be forced to switch to another make of round...

I AM THE WOODS 08-25-2013 02:00 PM

Went scoutin n checkin my game cam today n GSW. Besides actually killin bucks today was by far the best day I have ever had in the woods. I seen 2 different bachelor groups of bucks the first I seen had 3 bucks, a four point, one I couldn't tell, and a nice wide 8. I reset my cam in this area in hopes of getting a closer look at em. I left that area and walked about another 2 miles, stopped to drink some water n heard a bleat, looked up n seen 2 deer at about 100yds. got my binocs on em n seen it was 2 does. I caught some movement off to the right em put the binocs up n seen a spike n purty wide 6 point, I kept scanning n caught a glimpse of 3 more deer at first couldn't tell what they was n then I seen BIG racks!! the first was a real nice wide 8 point, then the next a big wide n tall tined 10 point, n the last the tallest racked buck I have ever seen a super tall 8 point, had to be a foot and a half above the head, no doubt these 3 bucks would make the registry and these 3 big boys were big bodied 150 lbs. +...so needless to say....I found a new camera sight and gotta good dose of buck fever!

Woodsman88 08-25-2013 05:22 PM

I gave never hunted GSW except for small game but it sounds like I might have to take a bike ride through there or do some hiking and get some pictures of these bucks. Since its not hunting season would I have to treat it as if it were to see deer in there? In other words do I gotta go in the deep thick stuff if I wanna snap some pics of them?

I AM THE WOODS 08-26-2013 03:43 AM

I have seen a couple purty good bucks in there crossin or close to the roads before...but yesterday the groups i seen were both purty far out from main roads...i walked nearly 18 miles yesterday...heck up until yesterday i hadnt been even seein many deer tracks...seems they were up n movin better than they have been...as far as seein em ya still wanna be quiet as possible n just try findin areas with buck tracks which has been tough because all the rain where i seen em at i would say it was medium thick stuff not too bad...i would say it would be easier to find em come early nov into dec when they start showin sign though...ya do any good durin the small game in there? I have found a few areas that are loaded with hogs that i will be hittin up small game in there this upcomin year.

Woodsman88 08-26-2013 07:51 AM

Saw about 8 hogs and killed one. They are in there but some of the better spots are loaded with people too.

I AM THE WOODS 08-26-2013 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Woodsman88 (Post 4075535)
Saw about 8 hogs and killed one. They are in there but some of the better spots are loaded with people too.

Nice...we walked up onna big ol boar in there last year...hit him with buckshot n he booked on us...I have been scoutin all spots far off the main roads n trails because i know a lot of the guys that go in there deer huntin aint gonna be goin thru crazy thick stuff to hunt...n doin this i have come across over 60 hogs (most of which have been far out) scoutin 3 different areas in 4 half day trips out there...when i hunt i hunt away from other people go thick n get away from the pressure..n this upcomin year they changed the rules for the small game " no one may use dogs to hunt hogs" will make it better for us still hunters

Woodsman88 08-28-2013 06:58 PM

That's nice! There were just as many dog hunters there as still hunters last year which scattered the hogs.

I AM THE WOODS 08-29-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Woodsman88 (Post 4076354)
That's nice! There were just as many dog hunters there as still hunters last year which scattered the hogs.

Yeah it was always like that...because in the rule book it said there couldn't be no dogs over a shoulder height of 15 in., were supposed to be bird dogs, but lotta people brought the beagles out, didn't say ya couldn't hunt hogs with em n because of that they couldn't regulate it. but now its says in bold letters no huntin hogs with dogs!...so since they aint gonna be runnin the dogs this upcomin year I will pry do a little more treestand huntin for hogs. Im gonna head back out to GSW at some point this weekend to move my cam to the spot I seen them big bucks n try to get some pics of em. I only got 5 pics the first week I let it sit out there, 3 doe pics, a fawn, n a buck crossin thru the back stretch of the camera range so cant see its rack clear can just see it has a purty tall rack, Im wonderin if maybe the motion sensor lens fogged up cause all that rain we had, because I woulda thought where I put it I would of got a lot more than 5 pics. When I moved it this past week I also switched the pic setting to 3 shot burst, hopefully I will get more clearer pics. Still tryin to work out the kinks n see what works best. all in all Im purty impressed with the overall clarity of the pics.

Woodsman88 08-29-2013 07:13 PM

I'm not sure what cam you are using but I have moultries and my favorite is the M-100. It takes pics that look like they were takin with a quality digital camera. It is pricey but you can usually get a great deal on them from Amazon.

I AM THE WOODS 08-30-2013 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Woodsman88 (Post 4076592)
I'm not sure what cam you are using but I have moultries and my favorite is the M-100. It takes pics that look like they were takin with a quality digital camera. It is pricey but you can usually get a great deal on them from Amazon.

I have the Moultrie d55 IR Pro. Pic quality is purty good...just aint sure about the sensitivity of the motion sensor seein as it only took 5 pics...I am pry gonna look into gettin another one...i will look into that m 100...thanks