Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Quantico 2012 Deer Season IMPORTANT MUST READ >

Quantico 2012 Deer Season IMPORTANT MUST READ

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Quantico 2012 Deer Season IMPORTANT MUST READ

Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Quantico 2012 Deer Season IMPORTANT MUST READ

I ran into a gentlemen that has hunted Quantico 35 years and he breifly told me that quantico no time frame but is seriously considering closing the base to civilians due to threats and homeland security and the fact that FBI Academy is located on base. I sure hope this is not true as Quantico is the only place I have to hunt and my family has been hunting there for over 40 years but I guess we should just be thankful that we got a chance to hunt there but it still would suck.

He went on to say that the base would probably not close this year to hunting but is seriously considering 2013 and future years to only be open to active military hunters only.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Spike

Wow, I truly hope that this is untrue. I am grateful and really enjoy the big woods hunting that Quantico allows.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Military Bases

I do not want to take any hunting opportunities away from anyone, but I do truly believe that hunting and fishing priveleges on a military base should be limited to active duty or retired military.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Spike

So should military be allowed to hunt public land? Does civilian tax money go toward bases? Oceana had the USDA come in and slaughter the deer and bury them on sight...
Old 04-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alex G.
I do not want to take any hunting opportunities away from anyone, but I do truly believe that hunting and fishing priveleges on a military base should be limited to active duty or retired military.
Actually with Quantico's system this is really not an issue. Active military and retired military have priority over civilians when reserving an area to hunt. Civilians are not taking any opportunity away from any active or retired military member.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default opinion

Originally Posted by Camo Mike
So should military be allowed to hunt public land? Does civilian tax money go toward bases? Oceana had the USDA come in and slaughter the deer and bury them on sight...
Its just simply my opinion Mike and its strictly up to the base CO who he or she allows on base to partake in these activities. And yes, Active Duty and retired members should also be allowed on public land. I agree that civilian taxes go towards bases, but then why arent civilian's allowed commissary or px/exchange priveledges? Same arguement, just different issues wouldnt you say? Oceana's USDA/VDGIF employee kills over 200 deer a year HIMSELF... and they still have a large deer population. Controlling and erradicating are 2 different items.

People that volunteer to serve and retire honorably should expect certain "priveledges". Hunting/fishing onbase without civilian interaction should be one of them. But that is just my opinion. Does the tax paying citizen deploy overseas away from their family for 6 -12 months at a time? There is many more acres of public land to hunt than military land.

And your correct eyedr. Quantico DOES do it right.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

ALL HUNTING STOPPED AT FT LEE in Va. A new DOD policy concerning possible unexploded ordnance on the base has caused all hunting to be on this base. While these policy be enacted on ALL military bases and if so what then?

I agree with Alex G. that all military bases are set up for a purpose and should be controlled by the Commanding Officer of the base as he follows the guidelines set out by his superiors. Military function and mission should always come first.

For the person who asked if military personnel should be allowed to hunt on public lands I wish to remind him that these people are also members of the public. They buy their hunting gear the same place you do, pay taxes just like you do, send their kids to school just like you do so yes they are members of the group you call "the public". Why would you want to insinuate otherwise.

Now do you put your life on the line protecting the freedoms of this country? Have you signed a contract to give up years of your life and your family's lives to protect the country and its constitution from all enemies both foreign and domestic? Have you committed your self to go into a war zone at a moments notice with no time to prepare your family for the possibility you may not return? Have you agreed to let your employer send you anywhere he wants at anytime, make you live in the mud and cold and blood of others with maybe no hot meals or showers for days on end? If you agreed to this and many other things then you also can have access to military base hunting privileges if and when you have time.

By the way I am retired member of that same group known as the ones who paid the bill for your freedom to ask the question you did.

Last edited by vapahunter; 04-13-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default perfect

well said vapahunter...
Old 07-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of you guys come across as extremely selfish and self-absorbed. Many Americans sacrifice day in and day out in other things other than being a military professional and make positive contributions to society. For some of you to think that 50,000 acres of wildlife should be off-limits to anyone besides military personnel is again, just plain selfish.

And vapahunter, most of the hardcore military guys that I've know throughout my life fully support citizens hunting and fishing on military bases and also don't need to make comments like this...."By the way I am retired member of that same group known as the ones who paid the bill for your freedom to ask the question you did."
Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Alex G.;3928273]

People that volunteer to serve and retire honorably should expect certain "priveledges". Hunting/fishing onbase without civilian interaction should be one of them.

Why...???.....I hunt at a base and the military are friendly and helpful.......they don't dislike the fact that civilians share the woods with them.....they don't see us as a threat to their hunting opportunities or "privileges"......all the guys i'v talked to about hunting or just said hello to " interacted " very well with me.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.