HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Hunters Against .... Hunting? Petersens Article (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/367714-hunters-against-hunting-petersens-article.html)

Iraqandback03 07-18-2012 06:00 PM

Hunters Against .... Hunting? Petersens Article

http://www.petersenshunting.com/2012...bate-rages-on/

brewman555 07-19-2012 08:05 AM

Iraqnadback03...from your name I take it that you were in the service .....
Thank You for your service to our country....and thanks for posting the article ....most of us hunters here in VA know all about the VHDA....I like many others on this board signed petitions and called our representatives and also wrote letters....and I'm sure we will all be doing it again this year and until we get Sunday Hunting here in VA....It will happen..
....SOON......Thanks Again.....Mike

c-rad 07-22-2012 04:02 AM

I agree with you all that there should be hunting on Sunday in any state. My concern is that people are going to hunt on my private land on Sunday which I don't want. I really don't care who hunts on my property and the two farms that border me don't either. I talked to both owners when they proposed this in PA and neither of them wanted it to pass. I honestly think a lot of private land will become no hunting that was previously allowed because they will still hunt land that has no sunday hunting posted and piss off the land owners.

VAhuntr 07-22-2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by c-rad (Post 3953570)
I agree with you all that there should be hunting on Sunday in any state. My concern is that people are going to hunt on my private land on Sunday which I don't want. I really don't care who hunts on my property and the two farms that border me don't either. I talked to both owners when they proposed this in PA and neither of them wanted it to pass. I honestly think a lot of private land will become no hunting that was previously allowed because they will still hunt land that has no sunday hunting posted and piss off the land owners.

If I hunt on your property, then I must abide by your rules. Simple as that! If you only want me hunting on even numbered days before noon, then I have a choice to abide by your rules or not hunt your property.

Iraqandback03 07-23-2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by c-rad (Post 3953570)
My concern is that people are going to hunt on my private land on Sunday which I don't want. I honestly think a lot of private land will become no hunting that was previously allowed because they will still hunt land that has no sunday hunting posted and piss off the land owners.

I don't understand how permission to hunt in PA works, but here in Virginia you have to have permission and carry it in writing to hunt on private land that is not yours.

I think there is a difference in the laws between states. In Virginia all land owners determine who is allowed to hunt and what the rules are, bow only, no 4 wheelers, shotgun only, Saturdays only, no friends, clear everytime with a phone call, etc.

We already have land owners deciding what, when, how hunting on their property and I know there will be property owners who say no hunting on Sunday on my property. That is the beauty of freedom and liberty, it comes with choices.

A lot of private property owners use hunters to maintain a trusted and responsible presence on their property so that tresspassing and abuse doesn't occur. I know the first phone call I make when I see fishy business on land I lease is to the property owner asking what he wants me to do about it. Some of the owners live in other states and are relying on me to be their boots on the ground, eyes and ears.

c-rad 07-23-2012 10:02 AM

Permission to hunt is a little different when you grew up in a small community. Most of the farms I hunt been family owned and I grew up with their kids. Everybody knows everybody so 99% of the time there is no problems. Closest thing to paying to hunt is buying the landowner a beer when you run into him at the local bar. Only time I ever seen anyone kicked off the land was because they shot to close to a house or drive through a field and that is the 1% of the time there is trouble.

VAhuntr 07-23-2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Iraqandback03 (Post 3953925)
I don't understand how permission to hunt in PA works, but here in Virginia you have to have permission and carry it in writing to hunt on private land that is not yours.

I think there is a difference in the laws between states. In Virginia all land owners determine who is allowed to hunt and what the rules are, bow only, no 4 wheelers, shotgun only, Saturdays only, no friends, clear everytime with a phone call, etc.

We already have land owners deciding what, when, how hunting on their property and I know there will be property owners who say no hunting on Sunday on my property. That is the beauty of freedom and liberty, it comes with choices.

A lot of private property owners use hunters to maintain a trusted and responsible presence on their property so that tresspassing and abuse doesn't occur. I know the first phone call I make when I see fishy business on land I lease is to the property owner asking what he wants me to do about it. Some of the owners live in other states and are relying on me to be their boots on the ground, eyes and ears.

Not that it means anything to the particular thread, but in VA you only have to carry written permission if the land is posted. If not posted, oral permission will work.

shooter50 07-25-2012 03:43 AM

I live and hunt in VA and I personally am glad there is no hunting on Sunday. I take 3-5 deer a season depending on the size. I get my meat deer early and late and horn hunt the rut (of course this is easier said than done some seasons). The deer get chased from the beginning of October thru the first of January. 6 days a week. I think that is enough. There are some areas of the state where the deer population is really good so I wouldn't care if they allowed Sunday hunting. But here in Augusta county the deer numbers just aren't good enough for it. But I do see both sides of the fence. It should be any Va hunters choice to hunt Sunday or not. And what about the man who works Monday thru Friday and then only has 1 day a week to hunt! Been there and done that. Like I said I see it both ways I just prefer no hunting on Sundays. Also with that being said I work a 12 hr rotating shift so I get 12 days off of legal hunting a month along with my vacation I take during November each year. So I do feel for people with other schedules no allowing them this much time in the mountains. Virginia makes you buy an extra tag for just about anything anymore maybe make the hunters purchase another license to hunt Sundays???

VAhuntr 07-25-2012 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by shooter50 (Post 3954471)
I live and hunt in VA and I personally am glad there is no hunting on Sunday. I take 3-5 deer a season depending on the size. I get my meat deer early and late and horn hunt the rut (of course this is easier said than done some seasons). The deer get chased from the beginning of October thru the first of January. 6 days a week. I think that is enough. There are some areas of the state where the deer population is really good so I wouldn't care if they allowed Sunday hunting. But here in Augusta county the deer numbers just aren't good enough for it. But I do see both sides of the fence. It should be any Va hunters choice to hunt Sunday or not. And what about the man who works Monday thru Friday and then only has 1 day a week to hunt! Been there and done that. Like I said I see it both ways I just prefer no hunting on Sundays. Also with that being said I work a 12 hr rotating shift so I get 12 days off of legal hunting a month along with my vacation I take during November each year. So I do feel for people with other schedules no allowing them this much time in the mountains. Virginia makes you buy an extra tag for just about anything anymore maybe make the hunters purchase another license to hunt Sundays???

Just curious, do you believe deer actually rest on Sunday? Why can we fish on Sunday but not deer hunt? Why can people who hunt on licensed shooting preserves hunt on Sunday's in VA?

I'm asking these as serious questions.....questions I don't have the answer for. I will say the majority of people I have met that are against hunting on Sunday are the ones who have plenty of time to hunt during the week. Almost like they don't want another day of "competition" out there.

26drawny 07-25-2012 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by VAhuntr (Post 3954476)
I will say the majority of people I have met that are against hunting on Sunday are the ones who have plenty of time to hunt during the week. Almost like they don't want another day of "competition" out there.

In my opion I agree. I only get two days a week off most of the time and my days off rotate. ie:this week is tuesday and weds. next week is monday tuesday... so if I only have a sunday off than I am hunting on a sunday... I wont break rules but I would go to state land.