HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   moving back to east coast, but where should i move to? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/359235-moving-back-east-coast-but-where-should-i-move.html)

cntryislandboy 02-26-2012 09:14 AM

moving back to east coast, but where should i move to?

my family and i are trying to figure out where we might like to move to. i'm from gatlinburg tn, and my wife from myrtle beach sc. the tops choices consist of nc, sc, and va. we still have family in myrtle beach, and atlanta.

we are looking for an area that has good hunting/fishing and outdoor activities, near the coast would be a plus, or even with an hour of the coast would be good. we would like to stay within 6 hours of myrtle beach. but if we find a place that fits the bill perfectly, then we can look past that.

job wise anything near an airport, or ups/fedex facility, close to an air foce base would be nice.

so if you have any ideas of what a good place might be your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you

vapahunter 02-26-2012 09:42 AM

Someplace with Sunday hunting which rules out VA.

cntryislandboy 02-26-2012 09:58 AM

thanks for the heads up didn't know that, can you still fish in va on sunday?

saltflyz 02-26-2012 04:05 PM

you just described Richmond, VA. hr from coast, hour from mountains, good place to raise a family. 5.5 hrs from myrtle. Good hunting and fishing. Don't worry about sunday hunting...some form of it will pass in next year or two and you can fish 24/7. Nice bounty of game and fish pretty much year round.

vapahunter 02-26-2012 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by cntryislandboy (Post 3915608)
thanks for the heads up didn't know that, can you still fish in va on sunday?

Yes you can.

nineoaks2004 02-26-2012 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by cntryislandboy (Post 3915598)
my family and i are trying to figure out where we might like to move to. i'm from gatlinburg tn, and my wife from myrtle beach sc. the tops choices consist of nc, sc, and va. we still have family in myrtle beach, and atlanta.

we are looking for an area that has good hunting/fishing and outdoor activities, near the coast would be a plus, or even with an hour of the coast would be good. we would like to stay within 6 hours of myrtle beach. but if we find a place that fits the bill perfectly, then we can look past that.

job wise anything near an airport, or ups/fedex facility, close to an air foce base would be nice.

so if you have any ideas of what a good place might be your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Check out Panama City Fl. on the coast, good area, close to Elgin AFB, New airport, I think all you are looking for....

cntryislandboy 02-27-2012 07:10 AM

thanks for the info guys

richmond was one of the places we are looking at, just not sure about the no hunting on sunday thing, granite in all likelyhood it's going to be aug 2014 when we move back, unless i go into in the air national guard before then, but i doubt it. so with that in mind things might change

just trying to find some land in the next year or so

Stonewall308 02-27-2012 12:16 PM

Three counties in the middle of SC have the earliest opening day in the country for whitetail - August 15. I know one of them is Richland county, which includes Columbia, SC. They also have an awesome lake. Plus it is warm enough to enjoy the outdoors for almost the entire year. My friends that still live there are always going camping or boating as late as November.

cntryislandboy 02-28-2012 10:05 AM

after some looking, the wife and i both like Boone NC, anyone know anything about this area? i know it further from the coast, but my wifes mom lives in myrtle beach so we can just go to the beach when we visit

Stonewall308 03-02-2012 09:55 AM

I went to Boone for a concert once. Didn't get to see much of the place.

Check out Lake Jocasse sometime if you have a small to medium size boat. It is about 4 hours away from Boone, but it is well worth it, and my favorite place in the world to camp.