Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Sunday hunting bill sb 464 >

Sunday hunting bill sb 464

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sunday hunting bill sb 464

Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said NEW61375.....Excellent post......
Old 02-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brewman555
So what your saying is the farmers that don't want people hunting on their land on Sunday can tell all the rest of us hunters that own land that we can't hunt on Sundays........no it's not unfair ....it's an infringement of my property rights...what gives you or anyone else the right to tell me what I can or can't do with my property on
Sundays....??????.......Sunday Hunting will come in the very near future and dog hunting will slowly fade away......

Stop that BS attitude with me and property infringement rights... Now on your own land go build a house or a deck and see what you get for not contacting your city govenrment. It's your land go tell them to piss off Mr. Attitude!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hokieman
Stop that BS attitude with me and property infringement rights... Now on your own land go build a house or a deck and see what you get for not contacting your city govenrment. It's your land go tell them to piss off Mr. Attitude!!!
Above is some typical VAHDA logic. See the problem is it makes no sense. As a landowner you CAN build a deck, house, addition, etc. Yes you will have to jump through the hoops of obtainging a building permit, inspections, all of the things that basically ensure the city is gonna get money from you somehow. But in the end you could still build on your land.

Now to compare that to Sunday hunting really doesn't make sense but I'll tell you why I wish it did because using that example you would suggest that as a landowner if I contacted the state, city, vdgif, whomever and obtained/paid for a permit I could then hunt on my land on Sunday. Sign me up I'll pay $18 dollars a season for my Sunday Landowner License.

Last edited by NEW61375; 02-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NEW61375
Above is some typical VAHDA logic. See the problem is it makes no sense, even at first glance. As a landowner you CAN build a deck, house, addition, etc. Yes you will have to jump through the hoops of obtainging a building permit, inspections, all of the things that basically ensure the city is gonna get money from you somehow. But in the end you could still build on your land.

Now to compare that to Sunday hunting really doesn't make sense but I'll tell you why I wish it did because using that example you would suggest that as a landowner if I contacted the state, city, vdgif, whomever and obtained/paid for a permit I could then hunt on my land on Sunday. Sign me up I'll pay $18 dollars a season for my Sunday Landowner License.
The way I see it... If you lock your gate, You can do whatever you want whenever, thats what landowners do anyway for years now, were you been?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I see it... If you lock your gate, You can do whatever you want whenever, thats what landowners do anyway for years now, were you been?
Problem is I can lock my gate and put up NO TRESPASSING signs but I can't stop people from coming on my land and looking for their dogs.......kinda of an infringement of my property rights.....and no you CANT DO WHATEVER YOU WANT just because you own the land......if you could I'd be HUNTING ON SUNDAYS ......
Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Spike

NEW61375 you have some great things to say. Way to go.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I see it the VAHDA needs some better spokesmen.

I've been on hound sites lately trying to gain some insight as to why so many hound hunters are opposed to Sunday Hunting. I've attempted to have reasonable dialogue and have asked many questions in regards to their opposition. I'd like to say I made some headway but ultimately I was left with more questions than answers. No legal arguments were made, no data or information showing the potential for an adverse impact on hound hunting was provided, no explanation as to the opposition against private landowners being able to hunt their own land, absolutely nothing.

I assure you that Hokieman can provide no such information either. The VAHDA is the blind leading the blind and what's worse is they are headed towards a cliff of their own making. The hound site I referred to earlier goes as far as to delete SH threads where their arguments are dismantled and their hypocrisy is put on display, no matter how civil they remain. Why? They don't want their own members to read it and start thinking for themselves.

The 3 largest groups opposed to Sunday Hunting in 2010-11 were the HSUS,the VAHDA, and the Farm Bureau. Be careful who you lay with as the HSUS isn't the best company for a hunting organization to be keeping.

Sunday hunting in VA has the support of the NRA, Ducks Unlimited, Bass Pro, and many other strong lobbyists for outdoorsman. We had an overwhelming change in momentum this year with 11-4 vote in the Senate sub-committee followed by 29-11 vote in the Senate to make it to the house. Delegate Lee Ware is VA Sunday Hunting public enemy number 1 (imo) as he headed the sub-committee that killed it with the 4-3 vote and wrote several editorials in local papers in opposition. Yet in the same year he and many others voted in support of allowing bear chasing to begin earlier than 30 minutes before sunrise (changed to 4:00 a.m.) during the bear chase season. That in itself is no big deal except for the fact that bear chase seasons and many other chase seasons are already legal on Sundays. Chasing is defined as hunting by the VDGIF and requires a hunting license.

So what that says to me as a landowner is this. I can't legally hunt my land on Sunday but someone else can run their dogs through it in effect hunting raccoon, fox, deer, bobcat, bear, etc. and if need be they can go onto my property to retrieve said hounds. In Del. Wares' mind that is fair and keeping the laws that way is for the "common good" as he has said many times.

So taking my rights to my private property away and giving them to someone else is ok as long as it's for the "common good".

"History calls those men the greatest who have ennobled themselves by working for the common good.." Karl Marx

"The theory of the Communists may be summed up in the single sentence: Abolition of private property."

Karl Marx-The Communist Manifesto

I only put the above quotes in to highlight just how flawed that "common good" logic can be. I don't believe Ware to be some horrible person but as an elected official Ware is supposed to have an objective view on these bills yet at every corner he approves Sunday seasons for his constituents and blocks Sunday Hunting for the rest of us. Landowner rights on private property should not be infringed to appease his VAHDA and Farm Bureau supporters.

VA hunters, call your legislators, e-mail them, get your family to, get your neighbors to and continue to do so all year and especially when it comes vote time again. Join the VA Sunday hunting groups and make some noise.

Last edited by NEW61375; 02-23-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

From an e-mail:

Sunday Hunting Volunteer Opportunities

All,

As we prepare for the next steps in the Sunday hunting fight - you will hear more on that in the coming days - we continue our outreach efforts around the Commonwealth to find and engage supporters.

To that end, we will have a presence at upcoming sports and gun shows around Virginia. We are in need of volunteers to help sign up supporters.

There are three events this weekend:

The Western Virginia Sport Show in Fishersville
The Southeastern Gun and Knife Show in Richmond
The Showmasters Gun Show in Harrisonburg

If you are available to volunteer at one of these events to sign up supporters, please email or call Andrew Vehorn at [email protected] or 804-771-5307.

Thanks for all of your efforts that have gotten us this far.

Sincerely,

Your Virginia Sunday Hunting Team
www.virginiasundayhunting.org
Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Spike

The 3 largest groups opposed to Sunday Hunting in 2010-11 were the HSUS,the VAHDA, and the Farm Bureau. Be careful who you lay with as the HSUS isn't the best company for a hunting organization to be keeping.

I saw this in your post and did not know if you knew about how bad the VAHDA bashes and hates the HSUS. They just got done fighting a bill that the HSUS was pushing for to outlaw fox pens in VA.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VTHUNTER79

I saw this in your post and did not know if you knew about how bad the VAHDA bashes and hates the HSUS. They just got done fighting a bill that the HSUS was pushing for to outlaw fox pens in VA.
I am aware of that and the VAHDA has fought for many other hound related topics. In all honesty were it not for their stance on Sunday Hunting I would have no problem supporting them. The bill your talking about got tabled to a study group so that isn't the last we'll hear of it, just the last we'll hear of it this year.

Last year when Sunday Hunting got shut down in the Senate committee two of the most vocal organizations were the HSUS and VAHDA, this year the VAHDA was hands down the most vocal group against Sunday Hunting. They were willing to be on the same side as the HSUS on SH a year prior(a group all hunters usually oppose) because they speculate it will benefits hound hunters in the future to prevent SH from getting passed. Yes they have the interest of VA hound hunters first and foremost, just not all VA hunters.

I guess the difference between myself and probably the average VAHDA member is that when I called and e-mailed in support of the VA SH bill I also called and e-mailed my opposition to SB202 and HB695, the fox pen bills. Why? Well it's certainly not because I support the decisions of the VAHDA, it's simply because I support VA hunters.

I am opposed to attacks or infringement on any and all of our hunting. So as much as I might disagree with the leadership of the VAHDA on Sunday Hunting, as a hunter and outdoorsman in VA I don't want the HSUS trying to shut down fox penning, field trials, dog hunting, etc. So I have to swallow my frustration with the VAHDA and fight against the fox penning bills just as hard as I will fight in support of Sunday Hunting. Because putting aside petty differences and selfish wants and supporting hunting in VA is in all of our best interest in the long run.

And that's the difference in a nutshell, when it comes to Sunday Hunting the VAHDA puts itself before VA hunters as a whole. That causes in-fighting and division between generally like minded individuals. What's the old saying? "Divide and conquer"....it's a shame we are dividing ourselves.

Last edited by NEW61375; 02-21-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.