Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Sunday hunting bill sb 464 >

Sunday hunting bill sb 464

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sunday hunting bill sb 464

Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Cultral difference between the west and east of blueridge. western counties have alot more national forrest to hunt and it wouldn't conflict with anything but the eastern part of the state, the land is owned by companies and farmers who doesn't want sunday hunting, so the deer hound clubs they lease too have to follow their order or look for another lease inwhich to hunt. I know it seems unfair but ruarl nothern va hunters who don't have land is looking for land to hunt and doesn't fill compasionate towards landowners concerns not to hunt on sundays. now with that said my personal belief is no to sunday hunting but that is my opinon only. happy hunting...
Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VTHUNTER79
Hokieman you can think what you want to about my post but the fact is I was the one that was involved in the conversation with a Member of the VHDA and that is what 2 different members told me. I know there are other reasons but that is one that they listed. Yes I did just join the board a few days ago but what does that matter. I had some info that I wanted to share about the sunday hunting bill. If you don't like what I have to say then don't read it.

Give me your name and I'll make sure your name is deleted from our members list...
Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hokieman
Cultral difference between the west and east of blueridge. western counties have alot more national forrest to hunt and it wouldn't conflict with anything but the eastern part of the state, the land is owned by companies and farmers who doesn't want sunday hunting, so the deer hound clubs they lease too have to follow their order or look for another lease inwhich to hunt. I know it seems unfair but ruarl nothern va hunters who don't have land is looking for land to hunt and doesn't fill compasionate towards landowners concerns not to hunt on sundays. now with that said my personal belief is no to sunday hunting but that is my opinon only. happy hunting...
So what your saying is the farmers that don't want people hunting on their land on Sunday can tell all the rest of us hunters that own land that we can't hunt on Sundays........no it's not unfair ....it's an infringement of my property rights...what gives you or anyone else the right to tell me what I can or can't do with my property on
Sundays....??????.......Sunday Hunting will come in the very near future and dog hunting will slowly fade away......
Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a farmer doesn't want someone hunting his property on Sunday then he does not have to do so. Most of the farmers I know are also hunters and want the option to hunt on Sunday.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
If a farmer doesn't want someone hunting his property on Sunday then he does not have to do so. Most of the farmers I know are also hunters and want the option to hunt on Sunday.
VAhuntr.....That makes way to much sense.....you know it's all about "Cultural Differences"......
Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brewman555
VAhuntr.....That makes way to much sense.....you know it's all about "Cultural Differences"......
I think it will be interesting in the coming year to see what happens. Another thing to watch. There is a bill that passed the House called HB 896. It would allow Virginia ABC stores in rural areas, to be open on Sunday....such as they are in Northern VA, Richmond, and Hampton Roads. Now, I'm not against drinking and feel the state should not be involved in liquor sales to begin with, but it would be interesting to see how some of the House Delegates voted on this issue. You know, some of the ones who claim that they don't agree with Sunday hunting because it is a "day of rest"?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

VAhunter,
I would like to personally thank you and others like you for the time and effort you put forward in getting the message out on this issue. I, too, really thought that this time would be the time that the old blue law went to blue law heaven!

The silver lining that I did find this time around was that there was much more discussion amongst us, the hunters, as to the real cause of this limitation to our state "rights." For too many years and around too many hunting camps the word has usually been that them "dern liberals and bunny huggers are goofing it up for all of us, let them go back to their commune." Now, I do understand that there are several left wing groups that would rather hunting come to a complete end, but now we also know who else is involved in this wacky restriction.

I can already see it now : The dog hunters/church folks do not want Sunday hunting, the bike riders/nature hikers don't want Saturday hunting....... Before you know it we will run out of days of the week and hunting will be gone forever! Now this may appear a bit dramatic, however, if all of us hunting group, splinters do not present a unified front Sunday may not be the only day we will not be able to hunt.

Once again thank you for helping to educate all of us and keeping us politically involved!

dan
Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DROX
VAhunter,
I would like to personally thank you and others like you for the time and effort you put forward in getting the message out on this issue. I, too, really thought that this time would be the time that the old blue law went to blue law heaven!

The silver lining that I did find this time around was that there was much more discussion amongst us, the hunters, as to the real cause of this limitation to our state "rights." For too many years and around too many hunting camps the word has usually been that them "dern liberals and bunny huggers are goofing it up for all of us, let them go back to their commune." Now, I do understand that there are several left wing groups that would rather hunting come to a complete end, but now we also know who else is involved in this wacky restriction.

I can already see it now : The dog hunters/church folks do not want Sunday hunting, the bike riders/nature hikers don't want Saturday hunting....... Before you know it we will run out of days of the week and hunting will be gone forever! Now this may appear a bit dramatic, however, if all of us hunting group, splinters do not present a unified front Sunday may not be the only day we will not be able to hunt.

Once again thank you for helping to educate all of us and keeping us politically involved!

dan

Thanks, but I really don't feel as if I do enough to warrant a special thanks. There are others who do much more than I do. ButchA and brewman555(off the top of my head) have done quite a bit of lobbying themselves. I'm glad you can see there has been progress on this issue, as it is easy to just say the heck with it and forget about it. I truly believe Virginia hunters are closer to being able to hunt on Sundays than we have ever been.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Spike

Just remember that you can un-elect these politicians when the time comes...
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is this the best you have? Even if Sunday hunting were made legal it would still be up to the landowner to participate. Companies and farmers who lease land could easily make rules prohibiting Sunday hunting on their properties. Meaning they would have a choice. Which is exactly what they and other landowners should have.

The fact of the matter was this bill had overwhelming support in the senate as evidenced by the 29-11 vote but was killed by a house sub-committee by a vote of 4-3. Interestingly enough the 4 delegates voting nay seemed to listen more to special interest groups like the VAHDA and the Farm Bureau. Wanna know why that's interesting? Because these same guys voted to extend Bear chase seasons this very year which by the way is legal on Sunday.

As a matter of fact there are several chase seasons open to hound hunters on Sunday already. In essence the strongest opposition to Sunday hunting in VA is the VAHDA which is made up of hound hunters who are the ONLY hunters who can legally hunt on Sunday already. Not only can they hunt/chase on Sunday they can do it on my property and can come onto my property to retrieve their hounds. Sounds fair right, taking my property rights away and giving them to someone else who has no claim to the land. See welfare.

The main charge was lead by Delegate Lee Ware and I encourage anyone in VA to contact his office and Edmunds, Fariss, and Wrights office as well(the other nay voters). 44 states allow Sunday hunting and 39 have no restrictions. It is estimated that Sunday hunting would create close to 3000 jobs and put nearly 300 million dollars into VA economy not to mention provide another avenue to help control the VA deer herd. Lets not forget about all the parents out there who work so much they can hardly get out to hunt or take their kids hunting for that matter. Think that extra day would help them and get more youngsters involved? How about our active duty service men and women? VA has a giant active duty population many of whom already have very limited time to enjoy hunting season or introduce their young ones to hunting due to deployments and work. Think they would like an extra day?

The arguments about days of rest, and non-hunter safety can be so easily picked apart and dismissed it's barely worth mentioning but I will be happy to do so if anyone would like to discuss those topics.

The VAHDA uses scare tactics that the sky is falling for dog hunting if Sunday hunting is passed. Then they fail to provide any evidence of a relation between the two. It is a fact that hound hunting in VA is and has been under attack for years now and we don't even have Sunday hunting. The VAHDA is only causing a divide between hound hunters and their potential allies(the rest of us) and don't be fooled they are the ones who's preferred method will need the most support in the future. Ever wonder when the first laws were put into place in regards to restricting hound hunting? How about 1876...yeah you read that right. Here's a good article Hokieman, enlighten yourself because they will be coming after dog hunting regardless of Sunday hunting:

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/2010/09/22/deermanagement_naw_debate_1009/

Another surprising bit of info to me was one of the delegates that voted against it was Matt Fariss and when I went to his home page to learn more about him under the tab titled "Issues" he had this as his stance on Property Rights:

"Property Rights-
A crucial element of right to the pursuit of happiness so eloquently espoused by Thomas Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence, is the right to property. Matt understands this fact and there will be no more ardent defender of property rights in the House of Delegates. He understands the challenges and frustrations that come when government attempts to regulate how property owners utilize their property, and he will work to remove power from regulating bureaucracies and return it back to the people and their elected representatives. Matt will fight against legislation that restricts the rights of property owners."

Yeah I laughed too. Thanks Matt for ardently defending my rights as a landowner. Remember all we needed was 1 vote.

The hound hunters got to keep Sunday hunting/chasing all to themselves again this year largely due to the VAHDA propaganda and having a couple of delegates in line. I encourage any VA hunters out there to e-mail these legislators throughout the next year and ask them to stand behind their stated principles instead of appeasing special interest groups such as the VAHDA. Also join http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/vasundayhunting4all/ on FB and see the website:

http://www.virginiasundayhunting.org/

It's just a matter of time VA.

http://www.seriousbirdhunting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Sunday_hunting_restrictions_map_NRA.jpg

Also I apologize if these links are already up here, I havent been on in a while.

Last edited by NEW61375; 02-21-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.