Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
URGENT Senate Sunday Hunting Hearing This Thursday! >

URGENT Senate Sunday Hunting Hearing This Thursday!

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

URGENT Senate Sunday Hunting Hearing This Thursday!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Spike

Default URGENT Senate Sunday Hunting Hearing This Thursday!

Thank you for your support to legalize Sunday hunting in Virginia. Your efforts to date have had a tremendously positive impact on our efforts. We are closer to repealing the ban than we have ever been before, but we still need your help to get across the finish line. If you have not yet done so, please get your friends and family to email their legislators by visiting www.virginiasundayhunting.org .

The Sunday hunting bills are scheduled to be heard THIS THURSDAY – January 19th at 2:00 PM in the Senate Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources Committee. Please make every effort to attend and show your support for repealing the ban. This will be the first vote on the Sunday hunting legislation, and we need a strong showing of support.

If you cannot attend, please call your legislators in advance and let them know you support legalizing Sunday Hunting in Virginia – you can find their contact information here: http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform

There is limited seating – please make every attempt to arrive by 12:00 PM. You will be able to watch the General Assembly in session and there is a cafeteria on the 6th floor for lunch. Should you have any questions about the hearing, or contacting your legislator, please call or email me at 804-771-5307 or [email protected].

WHAT: Virginia Sunday Hunting Bills to be heard in Senate Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources Committee. There are currently four Sunday hunting bills introduced in the Senate.

SB 151 – Senator Phil Puckett
SB 173 – Senator Chap Petersen
SB 464 – Senator Ralph Northam
SB 512 – Senator Frank Wagner

WHEN: Thursday January 19, 2:00 PM – but plan on arriving by NOON to ensure you have a seat

WHERE: SENATE ROOM A – General Assembly Building (Corner of 9th and Broad Street Richmond, VA)

DIRECTIONS:
The General Assembly Building (GAB) is on the corner of 9th and Broad Street in downtown Richmond.
Directions from the North
• Take I-95 South
• Take 3rd Street exit and cross Broad Street
• Turn left onto Franklin Street and follow until it dead-ends
• Turn left onto 9th Street
Directions from the South
• Take I-95 North
• Take I-195, Downtown Expressway
• Take Canal Street/9th Street exit
• Turn right onto 9th Street
Directions from the East
• Take I-64 West
• Take 5th Street exit and cross Broad Street
• Turn left onto Franklin Street and follow until it dead-ends
Directions from the West
• Take I-64 East
• Take I-195, Downtown Expressway, through toll booth
• Take 7th/9th Street exit and go straight

Senate Room A is on the first floor of the General Assembly Building. When you enter through security, go left. Senate Room A will be in front of you on the side of the building facing Broad Street. We will have people with stickers to greet you.

PARKING: There are four free general public spaces (1 hour) on the north side of Bank Street, between 9th and 10th Streets. A limited number of metered public parking spaces (2 hours) are located on the west side of 10th Street, between Main and Bank Streets, on Bank Street, between Governor and 14th Streets, on the south side of Main Street, between 9th and 12th Streets and on 12th Street between Main and Bank Streets and on Franklin Street. Pay parking lots and decks are nearby on 8th and Grace Street and 7th and Marshall Streets. Downloadable maps of nearby parking lots and decks are available, as well as rates for these areas.

Thank you again for all of your work, I look forward to seeing you on Thursday.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

tmwtrfwler......Thanks for all your doing to get Sunday Hunting bills passed.....I'm gonna call and write my rep today......Thanks Again.......Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by brewman555
tmwtrfwler......Thanks for all your doing to get Sunday Hunting bills passed.....I'm gonna call and write my rep today......Thanks Again.......Mike
no problem. let's just get butts in the seats to show support!

If any of these guys represent you please call today to support the effort:

Hanger 804-698-7524
Watkins 804 698-7510
Puckett 804 698-7538
Ruff 804 698-7515
Blevins 804 698-754
Obenshain 804 698_7526
McEachin 804 698-7509
Peterson 804 698-7534
Northam 804 698-7506
Stuart 804 698-7528
Marsden 804 698-7537
Stanley 804 698-7520
Black 804 698-7513
J.C.Miller 804 698-7501
Ebbin 804 698-7530

We've got great momentum like never before and logic seems like it may be working. Let's keep our fingers crossed and continue to press the politicians.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

The biggest problem may be the republican chairman Hanger. He is anti Sunday hunting for religious reasons. time to explain to him that it is unconstitutional to base his decisions or actions on those reasons. If he is representing you then he really needs to hear from the people he represents.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Bill for the removal of tha Ban on Sunday Hunting in Va passed the committee 11-4. This is where it historically is killed. At least 3 more votes to get this ban removed. Please keep up the great fight and by the middle of April it should be gone. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like the bill that passed the committee vote was the one for hunting on private land only. Can anyone confirm this? Great start but the fight is not yet over!

Last edited by VAhuntr; 01-20-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats GREAT NEWS guys.... Hope were all hunting on Sunday next year.....
Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is AWESOME news!!! Woo-hoo!!!

But we must remember that even though it was 11-4 and passed the Senate, it's not a done deal.

HSUS is screaming mad.
VaHDA (aka - the deer doggers) are freaking out and trying to "rally the troops".
Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Spike

[QUOTE=ButchA;3903035]This is AWESOME news!!! Woo-hoo!!!

But we must remember that even though it was 11-4 and passed the Senate, it's not a done deal.

HSUS is screaming mad.
"]VaHDA (aka - the deer doggers) are freaking out and trying to "rally the troops".[/[/COLOR]QUOTE]

One of their big arguments is that the landowners will not allow hunting on their properties if this passes which we know is an idle threat. Fact is many of these lands are on long term multi year leases and if the landowner attempts to prevent them from hunting they would be subject to a lawsuit. Additionally, it is hypocritical that this organization would use the argument that the landowner would invoke his property rights as an argument for obstructing anothers property rights.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Another wrinkle to the bill that was passed. Our anti hunting friends and VaHDA put a last minute rider in to prevent hunting deer with dogs on Sunday. This is a ploy to seperate those who are for it yet hunt with dogs. They are also saying they have something on the back burner to last minute change it to bow hunters only. Do not give up the fight. Contact VaHDA at their website and let them know that what they are doing goes hand in hand with all the rest of the anti hunting groups in the state. Do not let them win and continue to fight for removal of the ban and allowing all to hunt on Sunday. Even with this rider on it means a win for the cause and NO LOSE OF ANY CURRENT HUNTING IN VIRGINIA.

I say let them keep their rider but do not let them kill the bill. Do not let them make it bow hunters only as it discrimminates against all other hunters. Get the total ban removed and fight individual restrictions later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.