HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Sunday Hunting Web Site...... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/357204-sunday-hunting-web-site.html)

brewman555 01-15-2012 04:24 AM

Sunday Hunting Web Site......

The Richmond Times Dispatch has a story about Sunday Hunting in the paper today ( 1-15-12) on the back page of the sports section....in it is another web site for Sunday Hunting.......

www.virginiasundayhunting.org

The organization is Virginia Sunday Hunting Coalition.... It has another petition to sign ...... I filled one out and sent it.....hope you guys do the same......Thanks Mike.....

VAhuntr 01-15-2012 05:25 AM

Just sent the letter to my representatives! I also went to the Richmond Times Dispatch and read the article. It was a fairly encouraging article. Thanks for the link.

DROX 01-15-2012 10:53 AM

BrewMan555,
Thank you very much for providing this convenient method of contacting a portion of the Virginia Delegation; you are "da man!"

brewman555 01-15-2012 12:51 PM

Your Welcome VAhuntr....DROX....I figure the easier it is to get to a web site the more people will go there......

vahunter23322 01-15-2012 05:50 PM

Just joined, just submitted

vapahunter 01-17-2012 07:49 AM

Done that also. Anything to get this done this year. Already the anti Sunday hunting groups are flooding the Richmond Times Dispatch with letters on why it shouldn't be approved. People need to go there and show them the errors of their ways on this issue. It really torques them off when you question their reasoning and so called facts. Really does upset them to no end and their true nature then comes out.

Topgun 3006 01-17-2012 10:04 AM

Just write and tell them that if you can't hunt on Sunday that they will also have to give up shopping at Walmart, LOL!!! That's about the mentality people have on this subject!

vapahunter 01-17-2012 11:10 AM

Just heard these bills will be in the Senate Agriculture Committee Thursday. This is the committee that usually tables these kinds of bills effectively killing them without a vote. Please let the people on the committee know what you want. Do not let HSUS, PETA and VaHDA and the VDHA win on this again.

Krypt Keeper 01-17-2012 11:47 AM

I looked it up on the website and surprised there was no comments posted.

Normally every tree hugging liberal has to put their 2 cents in on how hunting is wrong and cruel.

I am all for it.

Average Joe 01-17-2012 03:55 PM

thanks for the link. I submitted and added that I am in favor of HB-989 and SB-151. I hunt mostly public and department owned lands and would only be in favor of a total repeal on the ban of Sunday hunting. Not just for private land hunting.

brewman555 01-18-2012 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 3902180)
thanks for the link. I submitted and added that I am in favor of HB-989 and SB-151. I hunt mostly public and department owned lands and would only be in favor of a total repeal on the ban of Sunday hunting. Not just for private land hunting.

Average Joe.....that's sounds kinda selfish don't you think....???...if I can't hunt on Sunday then I'm not for it ...... Even if we get Sunday hunting on private land only it's a start....and a good one...and within a year or two I'd bet you'll see Sunday Hunting will be allowed everywhere for everyone.....we as hunters have got to stop thinking Me....Me ....Me..... and think what's best for all of hunting.......

Average Joe 01-19-2012 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by brewman555 (Post 3902303)
Average Joe.....that's sounds kinda selfish don't you think....???...if I can't hunt on Sunday then I'm not for it ...... Even if we get Sunday hunting on private land only it's a start....and a good one...and within a year or two I'd bet you'll see Sunday Hunting will be allowed everywhere for everyone.....we as hunters have got to stop thinking Me....Me ....Me..... and think what's best for all of hunting.......

Don't really know why you think voting for everyone to be able to hunt on Sunday's is selfish? I'm almost 50 years old and bowhunting is a very important part of my life. I don't quite get why you think someone who only hunts public property should be happy sitting and waiting for the chance to come around so I can hunt with the big boys that get to hunt private lands? If you ask me I'm not the only one who's being narrow minded? Are you a public or private land hunter? BTW, yes it is selfish of me and I'm ok with that! I guess if hunting only on Sundays for private land hunters gets passed and there's a fee increase next year because of the additional hunting days then I should just suck it up and smile on that one too?

VAhuntr 01-19-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 3902865)
Don't really know why you think voting for everyone to be able to hunt on Sunday's is selfish? I'm almost 50 years old and bowhunting is a very important part of my life. I don't quite get why you think someone who only hunts public property should be happy sitting and waiting for the chance to come around so I can hunt with the big boys that get to hunt private lands? If you ask me I'm not the only one who's being narrow minded? Are you a public or private land hunter? BTW, yes it is selfish of me and I'm ok with that! I guess if hunting only on Sundays for private land hunters gets passed and there's a fee increase next year because of the additional hunting days then I should just suck it up and smile on that one too?

So it is either all or nothing for you? Why do you think there will be a fee increase? I do agree with you......everyone should be able to hunt on Sunday regardless of whether they hunt public or private property.

brewman555 01-20-2012 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 3902865)

AJ... I didn't say that voting for everyone to hunt on Sunday was selfish.....but just because you don't have private land to hunt and you feel like it's everybody or nobody that is selfish....and yes I hunt on public land.....and I to love to bow hunt and have been bow hunting for over 40 years....and if Sunday hunting started on private land only I could live with that because within a year or two I know it would be allowed on public land too....explain to me why there would be a fee increase just because your allowed to hunt on Sunday.....

Average Joe 01-20-2012 02:18 PM

Brewman555, I think there will be a fee increase because the fact that hunters are now allowed to hunt more days. I would be surprised if this was not the case.
I thought I was being unselfish by simply casting my name on the petition. I for the most part stay away from politics because I don't want it to negatively influence my favorite pastime (bowhunting), but I felt There were allot trying to do something to get Sunday hunting passed that I wanted to at least be a part of the petition. I honestly do not feel it's fair to exclude any hunters from being allowed to hunt on Sunday, so that's how I voted, but I guess I've done an injustice to the private land owners who hunt and I'm just thinking for myself? I guess I should have went with my gut and just stayed out of it? Ron

brewman555 01-21-2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 3903217)
Brewman555, I think there will be a fee increase because the fact that hunters are now allowed to hunt more days. I would be surprised if this was not the case.
I thought I was being unselfish by simply casting my name on the petition. I for the most part stay away from politics because I don't want it to negatively influence my favorite pastime (bowhunting), but I felt There were allot trying to do something to get Sunday hunting passed that I wanted to at least be a part of the petition. I honestly do not feel it's fair to exclude any hunters from being allowed to hunt on Sunday, so that's how I voted, but I guess I've done an injustice to the private land owners who hunt and I'm just thinking for myself? I guess I should have went with my gut and just stayed out of it? Ron

Average Joe ..... I really don't think there would be an increase in license fees because I think with Sunday hunting you would have more hunters hunting and that would bring an increase in revenue to the VDGIF.. .....and I agree with you hunting on Sunday should be for everyone not just those with private land...but if we can only get Sunday hunting on private land and only with bows....it would be a start.....and like I said before....within a year or two there will be Sunday hunting all season long......

Average Joe 01-21-2012 04:33 PM

I'm hearing there's a bill proposal out that will make the big game license go away. In its place will be separate licenses for each species. How much you want to bet there will be an increase in revenue there? I'm sure I will be included in the increase if and when that bill gets passed. I know all this is just negativity, but trust me, it will fuel my up coming archery season!

VAhuntr 01-21-2012 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 3903577)
I'm hearing there's a bill proposal out that will make the big game license go away. In its place will be separate licenses for each species. How much you want to bet there will be an increase in revenue there? I'm sure I will be included in the increase if and when that bill gets passed.

I have not seen anything like that this year. There was a proposal last year to remove bear from the big game license. The VDGIF did not approve it.

Average Joe 01-22-2012 03:15 AM

This: http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2012/hb338/ This link was posted by a member on Bowsite's Virginia forum (Bandicooter).

VAhuntr 01-22-2012 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 3903692)
This: http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2012/hb338/ This link was posted by a member on Bowsite's Virginia forum (Bandicooter).

Thanks for the link. I had not seen this proposal. If you read VA code 29.1-305, the board already has the authority to separate the bear tag from the big game license. They studied adding a separate bear tag last year but did not. HB338 would give the Board the authority to separate deer and turkey as well. If you read VA Code 29.1-102 it explains who comprises the Board of Game & Inland Fisheries and what their role is.

If you go to the following link it tells just a little about what happened. You have to scroll down near the end of the article but it seems dog runners were behind this.

www.roanoke.com/outdoors/wb/285370

Average Joe 01-22-2012 04:53 AM

I'm not up to speed (or want to be) like some here, and was not even aware that there was a group called the Virginia Bear Hunting Alliance? I'm not surprised that they would be in favor of a separate license to improve the quality of the bear population. I guess it's a little like Bowhunters wanting a separate license to hunt with archery equipment.

VAhuntr 01-22-2012 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 3903714)
I'm not up to speed (or want to be) like some here, and was not even aware that there was a group called the Virginia Bear Hunting Alliance? I'm not surprised that they would be in favor of a separate license to improve the quality of the bear population. I guess it's a little like Bowhunters wanting a separate license to hunt with archery equipment.

I'm not sure why either but here is my guess.....greed! They do not want the average deer hunter killing a bear. My guess is a lot of bear are killed by hunters while deer hunting when a bear happened to come by their stand. Their reasoning is the average hunter who deer hunts, won't spend the extra bucks on a bear tag when they hardly ever see one. By doing this it leaves more bear for them. Just my hypothesis.

Average Joe 01-22-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by VAhuntr (Post 3903748)
I'm not sure why either but here is my guess.....greed! They do not want the average deer hunter killing a bear. My guess is a lot of bear are killed by hunters while deer hunting when a bear happened to come by their stand. Their reasoning is the average hunter who deer hunts, won't spend the extra bucks on a bear tag when they hardly ever see one. By doing this it leaves more bear for them. Just my hypothesis.

I guess that makes sense in their line of thinking, but I hope they realized it's a two way street? Now they will also have to purchase a separate deer tag if they plan to kill deer along with bear.

vahunter23322 01-22-2012 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by VAhuntr (Post 3903700)
Thanks for the link. I had not seen this proposal. If you read VA code 29.1-305, the board already has the authority to separate the bear tag from the big game license. They studied adding a separate bear tag last year but did not. HB338 would give the Board the authority to separate deer and turkey as well. If you read VA Code 29.1-102 it explains who comprises the Board of Game & Inland Fisheries and what their role is.

If you go to the following link it tells just a little about what happened. You have to scroll down near the end of the article but it seems dog runners were behind this.

www.roanoke.com/outdoors/wb/285370

I am quite sure the legislation to have a seperate tag for bear failed last year as it should have. Don't think it has been submitted again.

Originally Posted by VAhuntr (Post 3903748)

You are spot on with your reasoning. The bear guys went on record saying they were tired of deer hunters killing their bears just because the opportunity presented itself.

VAhuntr 01-22-2012 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by vahunter23322 (Post 3903868)
I am quite sure the legislation to have a seperate tag for bear failed last year as it should have. Don't think it has been submitted again.

You are spot on with your reasoning. The bear guys went on record saying they were tired of deer hunters killing their bears just because the opportunity presented itself.

The Board of Game & Inland Fisheries already has the authority to separate the bear tag under VA Code 29.1-305. They(the Board)considered doing it last year but did not do it. The new bill(HB 338) would authorize the Board to separate all the tags on the big game license.

vahunter23322 01-23-2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by VAhuntr (Post 3903953)
The Board of Game & Inland Fisheries already has the authority to separate the bear tag under VA Code 29.1-305. They(the Board)considered doing it last year but did not do it. The new bill(HB 338) would authorize the Board to separate all the tags on the big game license.

Got it.

I also think folks need to be concerned and need to contact the legislators concerning the following. It would allow bear gun hunting using dogs during the entire season including archery season.

HB 311 Hunting bear; Board of Game and Inland Fisheries establishes an open season.

Anne B. Crockett-Stark

Summary as introduced: Open season for hunting bear. Provides that when the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries establishes an open season for the hunting of bear any legal hunting method, including the use of dogs, may be used for the entire season.

VAhuntr 01-24-2012 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by vahunter23322 (Post 3904309)
Got it.

I also think folks need to be concerned and need to contact the legislators concerning the following. It would allow bear gun hunting using dogs during the entire season including archery season.

HB 311 Hunting bear; Board of Game and Inland Fisheries establishes an open season.

Anne B. Crockett-Stark

Summary as introduced: Open season for hunting bear. Provides that when the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries establishes an open season for the hunting of bear any legal hunting method, including the use of dogs, may be used for the entire season.

Very good point and surely something to think about. Last year the VDGIF asked for comments from hunters concerning separating the bear tag. Myself and quite a few others I know spoke out against it and even suggested that if this were to pass, then the dog runners should have to buy a special license for their dogs.

vahunter23322 01-25-2012 05:06 PM

We are one step closer to this being passed in the Senate. Tomorrow is the finalvote in the Senate. Then the battle in the House.

VAhuntr 01-27-2012 06:53 PM

Everyone be advised the Sunday Hunting Bill now goes to the House. I heard tonight on the local news that some members of the House committee want to water it down even more...such as: no hunting before 1PM, landowners & immediate family only(this would exclude people who lease land) or limitations on the type of weapons used.

tmwtrfwler 01-31-2012 10:37 AM

All - I've been offline for a while but please read this and contact the House Sub Committee today! they gather tomorrow!

I wanted to provide you with a brief update on the Sunday hunting legislation working its way through the General Assembly.

The Senate passed SB 464 which permits hunting on Sunday on private lands, no deer dogs, and must be 250 yards away from a church. The bill passed 29-11.

The House is taking up House Sunday hunting bills THIS WEDNESDAY at 5:30 PM in the Natural Resources Subcommittee of the Agriculture Committee. This will be a key vote for us. Please look over the counties below, if you have ANY contacts – family, friends, business associates, in these localities, cash in a chit – ask a favor, and have them call and email their Delegate in support of Sunday hunting. They can also visit www.virginiasundayhunting.org to compose their letter. Of, if you would prefer to send me their contact information, I am happy to contact them.

The Subcommittee is:

Delegate Lee Ware [email protected] (804) 698-1065
Counties of Chesterfield, Fluvanna, Goochland, and Powhatan

Delegate Tommy Wright: [email protected] (804) 698-1061
Counties of Amelia, Cumberland, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, and Nottoway

Delegate James Edmunds: [email protected] (804) 698-1060
Counties of Campbell, Charlotte, Halifax, and Prince Edward

Delegate Tony Wilt: [email protected] (804) 698-1026
County of Rockingham; City of Harrisonburg

Delegate Matt Fariss: [email protected] (804) 698-1059
Counties of Albemarle, Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell, and Nelson

Delegate Ken Plum: [email protected] (804) 698-1036
County of Fairfax

Delegate Lynwood Lewis: [email protected] (804) 698-1000
Counties of Accomack and Northampton; Cities of Norfolk and Virginia Beach

Thank you for your continued support of this issue, and any help that you are able to give. Please contact Andrew Vehorn (contact info below) if you would like to come to Richmond for the hearing, or have any other questions.
Andrew M. Vehorn
Capital Results
50 Pear Street
Richmond, VA 23223
804-771-5307
[email protected]

brewman555 01-31-2012 11:50 AM

I just sent each of them a short email just asking them to vote YES for Sunday Hunting..
......come on guys....let's keep the pressure on.....every call and email counts....Thanks...
...Mike

saltflyz 01-31-2012 05:45 PM

Doesn't look good guys...I saw this on another forum. This thing will probably die in the subcommittee before it ever gets to a full house vote.

"Unfortunately, it goes to a House Subcommittee this week. The Subcommittee is 7 members. Delegates Ware, Wright, Edmunds and Wilt are firmly against it. Plum and Lewis are for it and Farris is in the middle. If you care, you should send an email to all those against it, and Farris.

In all likelyhood, this will die in the House Subcommittee, before it even goes to the full house committee (and then the full house).

I went to the Senate meetings, and have been speaking to lobbyists and groups on both sides. It's the biggest bunch of garbage I've ever seen. For some reason fox hunters, dog hunters and the farm bureau don't want me to hunt on my own land. Everybody's lookin out for #1"

Eyedr 02-01-2012 08:37 AM

[quote=saltflyz;3907063]Doesn't look good guys...I saw this on another forum. This thing will probably die in the subcommittee before it ever gets to a full house vote.

"Unfortunately, it goes to a House Subcommittee this week. The Subcommittee is 7 members. Delegates Ware, Wright, Edmunds and Wilt are firmly against it. Plum and Lewis are for it and Farris is in the middle. If you care, you should send an email to all those against it, and Farris.

In all likelyhood, this will die in the House Subcommittee, before it even goes to the full house committee (and then the full house).

I went to the Senate meetings, and have been speaking to lobbyists and groups on both sides. It's the biggest bunch of garbage I've ever seen. For some reason fox hunters, dog hunters and the farm bureau don't want me to hunt on my own land. Everybody's lookin out for #1"[/quote]

Thanks for the update. I sent out emails and called their offices this am. Trying to do my part.

At some point the dog hunters and fox hunters will request my help in writing a state senator or delegate to help their cause. I will be there with my middle finger standing tall in the air.

slowr1der 02-05-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by saltflyz (Post 3907063)
For some reason fox hunters, dog hunters and the farm bureau don't want me to hunt on my own land. Everybody's lookin out for #1"

This needs to be rephrased. I hunt with dogs sometimes, and I want both you and I to be able to hunt on our own land. I also don't support the VA Dog Hunting Association, nor do the majority of guys I hunt with. I only know of one that supports them at all, and it was several years ago that he made a small donation and bought a hat. The rest of us do not, and will not support them. I have just as much of a problem with them as you do, but it's no reason to blame everyone who hunts with dogs.

As for the next post, I've also written several letters to our representatives on this matter. You are blaming a large group of people for something a small portion of them is actually doing.

VAhuntr 02-06-2012 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by slowr1der (Post 3908884)
This needs to be rephrased. I hunt with dogs sometimes, and I want both you and I to be able to hunt on our own land. I also don't support the VA Dog Hunting Association, nor do the majority of guys I hunt with. I only know of one that supports them at all, and it was several years ago that he made a small donation and bought a hat. The rest of us do not, and will not support them. I have just as much of a problem with them as you do, but it's no reason to blame everyone who hunts with dogs.

As for the next post, I've also written several letters to our representatives on this matter. You are blaming a large group of people for something a small portion of them is actually doing.

Very good post! It seems the dog hunting association likes to think they speak for all dog hunters and they seem to have many of our representatives fooled.