Completely New Hunting enthusiast

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Completely New Hunting enthusiast

Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Spike

Smile Completely New Hunting enthusiast

Hello,

My name is Alvaro, I'm 28... I've never hunted before; however, i have progressively become more interested in hunting, perhaps deer, perhaps another animal. I live in Miami Florida but I don't really like the weather down here, I would refer hunting in colder weather or cooler places at least, Like North Carolina, or other places a little more north.

That is why i have decided to take a trip March 12th-17th approximately, to hunt, somewhere else rather than Florida. I would like the whole experience, wether i would have to stay in a cabin, or camp, I am not sure where to start, I am sure I would need to, at least rent the equipment I do not have (guns, ammo and whatever else is essential).

Can someone steer me in the right direction of where to start and what states have better hunting specifically in March?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum and to hunting. Check the state game regulations for each state you are considering. You'll likely find the big game seasons closed at that time (probably except for hogs). I'd suggest you visit some gun ranges and learn about shooting / weapons. Once you've got more of an idea, get a gun and practice, practice, practice. Then you will be ready for next year. You owe it to your quarry to be proficient. You owe it to yourself / family to be safe. Have fun.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

come up for spring gobbler after you take your hunters safety course and buy a remington 870.........
Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Count the cost my friend..back in my day when I lived around farm land..a license in MD was 3.50 I used my dad's 30-30 and could hunt in blue jeans..so it cost 3.50 to deer hunt...now as you will see it cost a tad more.

In today's modern world a license will cost about 70.00 in your own state and about 200.00 out of state.

Each gun will cost a minimum at Walmart for 400.00 { not including the scope}
YOu can hunt in jeans but may want to buy a tree climber...250.00---350.00

Head lamp to see in the dark..16.00 Wammart.
ThermoCell for mosquitoes..30..00 minimum when you buy the mats and gas
you could use mosquito repellant..5.00
Compass....5.00
Trail tacks..3.00 for 50
Deer Call 10.00 .....need 2 for sure grunt and bleat
Skinning Knife.20.00
Rubber Boots if in the swamp..LaCrosse are very good. 70.00
Insulated hunting boots if hunting in the cold. 100.00 minimum
Gloves..10.00 minimum
Bullets for rifle..from 15.00--35.00 per box
TIME ...I have put at least 150 hours in one season sitting in a tree..AS for now..I have 2 stories but no venison to show for..tough season..should have had 2 deer..BUT stuff happens.

in reallity..most of us have at least 3 guns
one for turkey 870 12 guage 350.00
one long range rifle with quality scope..800.00
one deer rifle like a 30-30 Marlin no scope for short shots..400.00
and more than one stand..
Most of us have gotten into archery as well...to extend your season..my bow was on sale for 600.00
assessories 300.00 site, rest etc.
my arrows are 7.00 a piece not including the 10.00 a piece broad head

I also black powder ..rifle cost 150.00..assessories .another 50.00
gas money.LOL 1000 dollars easy..
Count the cost..

Is it worth it..I have a very good job.so I would say yes.If I was on a limited income..I'd say no..
I grew up hunting so it's a legacy...there is peace, time with God, and if your fortunate enough..some quality meat for the freezer .It's quite a learning experience.If you hunt on public land..you will be challenged..greatly. The white tailed deer is a very smart animal.

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-09-2012 at 11:37 AM.