Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters!!! >

Greenswamp wma hunters!!!

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters!!!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Greenswamp wma hunters!!!

Saturday is openin day for the 2011-2012 general gun season. Who alls gonna be out there?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Spike

I got the last 5 days of the quota but I'll be in Alabama with family for thanksgiving. I'm going to Croom for the next 4 days...I didnt see anything on Monday or Tuesday. I saw some scrapes and droppings loaded with acorns though.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

yea I got all nine days at Greenswamp and definitely plan on hittin up Croom a couple times too...lotta deer in croom, I have heard that the ratio in there does to bucks is like 15 does to 1 buck...I have actually seen more bucks in Greenswamp personally but have seen some nice ones taken outta Croom.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Spike

Not sure what I'm doing wrong at Croom. I haven't even seen a doe yet and I've gone four times so far. Seen lots of scrapes and droppings, but no deer. I'm putting my stand up in areas downwind of huge oak trees where it's literally raining acorns...but nothing. I'm at least a halfmile from the roads and at least 300m from any hiking trails. I have seen some shotgun shells on the ground though, I guess they've pushed further in or away.

Good luck at green swamp...I'll be there after thanksgiving...looking forward to trudging in muck to distant bay heads.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I've hit Chaz 4 times this year & havn't seen a thing. Next week I may return to my secret place in Green Swamp where that buck busted me last year. It's PAYBACK time.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I was out at both GS and Croom since saturday, aint seein much of nothin although saturday while walkin around croom jumped a doe that was bein trailed by a nice 6 or 8 point buck, took a shot with my scoped 30.06 in thick palmettos...no score...those are the only deer I have seen in Croom so far...not normal! Last year I seen like 20 in there. Green Swamp has been slow to, I beleive they have only taken 3 deer outa 471 since saturday and a few hogs. Its my beleif that this warm weather has em stayin night walkers. I'm like you rainmaker, been seein good sign in both GS and croom but aint seen much of nothin, as for GS I have only seen 3 does! Yea richwrench seems everywhere the deer just aint movin! Hopefully this little cool down will be enough to get em up!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rainmaker7
Not sure what I'm doing wrong at Croom. I haven't even seen a doe yet and I've gone four times so far. Seen lots of scrapes and droppings, but no deer. I'm putting my stand up in areas downwind of huge oak trees where it's literally raining acorns...but nothing. I'm at least a halfmile from the roads and at least 300m from any hiking trails. I have seen some shotgun shells on the ground though, I guess they've pushed further in or away.

Good luck at green swamp...I'll be there after thanksgiving...looking forward to trudging in muck to distant bay heads.

Yea Croom can be tricky sometimes,. I try focusin on "Different/Unique landscape" to hunt in there. We all know the deer like their acorns. But Croom isn't like Green Swamp for example. Take Green Swamp not much in the way of oak trees so if ya find some there is likely to be deer and hogs around. Croom on the other hand is LOADED with oak trees so the deer for the most part can roam a wide range and get acorns whenever they please. Although I hav'nt shot a buck outa Croom yet, I have had good luck seein deer near thick palmettos and thick low shrubs as well as down by the river, These are places they like to bed down. Might help ya out. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Spike

Default Buck I shot in Green Swamp Saturday

I shot his buck Saturday. It's a six point only because it has no brow tines. It was 150 lbs. The check station says it will score over 100. I would have been happy with a spike.
Attached Thumbnails Greenswamp wma hunters!!!-013.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

thats a nice 6, i gota high racked 6 about like that last year yours tines look longer than mine tho, I'm guessin ya shot it later in the day?,The biggest buck I've seen this year looked to be a nice 8 at about 3 in the afternoon, I gota 120lb. hog Friday which I shot at about 12:30...seems the animals are favorin movin later in the day foir now.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice deer..I saw that buck hanging as I drove out.I don't think you were to far from me when you shot it...about 1/4 mi.
Sounded like a 30-06 very loud

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-06-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.