Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia deer are small. >

Virginia deer are small.

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia deer are small.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

I got it straight from the horse's mouth, a wildlife biologist. The reason why Virginia deer are smaller are nutrition and climate. It's doesnt get cold enough, and in turn, they don't have the need nor the food sources to pack on the pounds. I was wrong about the dogs.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Problem with that line of thought IMO is, once you ban one form of hunting, then what is next? Would the anti's then target bowhunting as being too cruel?
I agree. I don't personally like bowhunting, but I respect it, and know that there are some people that do enjoy it, so I don't want to see it be banned. I'm not so sure why so many people are against people hunting with dogs. If you don't like it, don't do it.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by coolbrze0
Not necessarily true. I used to agree w/ that, but having access to lg. tracts of land means you can benefit from QDM. Won't shoot anything smaller than 120" now, but like I said, that wasn't the case for many years. We harvest 200 lbers. quite often. I shot a nice 11 pointer Sat. on our farm in Manassas, didn't weigh him but I'd say he was up there. We've got some monsters (body size & racks) on a couple places we hunt in Fauquier.
^^^THIS^^^

We have plenty of big deer in VA. The biggest issue is that people settle for small ones. I can go shoot a tiny doe everyday or a scrub buck. But why? Wait it out a bit and make your meat hunt or trophy hunt count.

I hunt family land in Fauquier and we have large healthy deer.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tmwtrfwler
^^^THIS^^^

I hunt family land in Fauquier and we have large healthy deer.
How many pounds do these deer get?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in the mountains in VA, our deer are typically not big (rack or body). I've hunted over 30yrs, the largest body deer I've personally ever killed is 130lbs dressed. I'm not saying they don't get bigger....but the avg for a mature buck in this area is about 120lbs dressed. We have practiced QDM on our farm in WV for 12yrs. The numbers of nicer bucks have jumped way up....and we've killed a few pretty nice ones, but the largest body weight was 145 dressed (in 20+ yrs of 10+ guys hunting this farm).

I would say mostly its the strain of deer, in combination with nutrition. Even the deer we kill that are 4.5 or 5.5 don't have the body weight you would think they should. Last year we killed a 5.5 that weighed 115 dressed.

There are areas in VA where the deer get alot bigger - both body and rack, but compared to other states (north or midwest) they are not very big. Compared to more southern states... ours are whoppers. LOL.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have killed 3 deer this year alone that are over 150lbs. All of them with a bow or crossbow and in or around NoVa. I am able to manage and hunt these area's alone, or with friends that I allow, and the deer are big bodied and antlered. I pass on anything that is not 8pts or better and outside the ears. I also shoot a bunch of does each year. I start with Minerals in April and keep them out until the rules say I can't. This system works for me and we shoot deer with big bodies EVERY year. The buck in the pic was a 10pt that weighed in at 226lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Virginia deer are small.-mike2.jpg  
Old 11-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Virginia Mike
I have killed 3 deer this year alone that are over 150lbs. All of them with a bow or crossbow and in or around NoVa. I am able to manage and hunt these area's alone, or with friends that I allow, and the deer are big bodied and antlered. I pass on anything that is not 8pts or better and outside the ears. I also shoot a bunch of does each year. I start with Minerals in April and keep them out until the rules say I can't. This system works for me and we shoot deer with big bodies EVERY year. The buck in the pic was a 10pt that weighed in at 226lbs.
That is a great looking buck!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Virginia Mike
Great buck Mike! Yes, you are right. The NOVA areas can produce some whoppers for sure, both rack and body. Wish I had places down there to hunt....our deer out here are much smaller. Congrats on a great deer!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Typical Buck

most mature bucks in the valley where i hunt will weigh 150-180lbs dressed,a few will go as high as 210 dressed. i hunt farm land with plenty of corn and soybeans . deer eat out of farmers feeders half the year on some farms i hunt. unless we get big snows they usaully have plenty to eat. i've killed 3 this year,150,165 and 170lbs dressed.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Since it was brought up.

I do blame running dogs for alot of things. The climate and nutrition may be the key for smaller deer but dog hunting.g has to be a close third.

With running dogs I get

Deer being pushed across swamps
Dogs interfering with my still hunting
Idiots standing in the road or next to it waiting to shoot across it.
4 or 5 shots in a row
Mud slung out in the road
Speeding up and down the road cause Jim bob spotted a deer
The pleasure of listening to non hunters bitch and complain about signs being torn down scared to let there pets out and many other things.

Yet I am a die hard bowhunter and also enjoy taking my Hawkins BP. I come and go and actually enjoy never being seen or heard unless i shot my bp gun. Forced to wear orange cause of regular gun season where shotguns account for 66% of firearm related accidents inthe past 10 yrs in VA.

I don't shot every deer buck or doe. I want a mature deer to harvest and let many deer pass on by. How many dog runners do that? None.. its brown and *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* think I got it. And might be down. Cleaned many a deer and found buckshot in the ass. Thought the vitals were up front?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.