Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia deer are small. >

Virginia deer are small.

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia deer are small.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Spike

I've bow hunted in South Hampton Va. now for over 20yrs. I am the only one who hunts 150acre lot owned by a doctor I do work for. He leases 20 acres out to a soybean farmer and the rest is wooded. But all bordering property is leased out to hunt clubs who run dogs. Nothing against dog hunters per se. What I have a problem with is when they intentionaly let them loose on property they dont lease to move the deer off that property onto theirs. Just yesterday I pulled up to my spot and across the street were 6 dog hunters posted about 50yards off the street in the field. 20 minutes after I got in my stand here comes three dogs all around my stand and one of the trucks across the street was pointed towards me moving his tracking antenna around trying to locacte his dogs on the property I hunt. Its like dog hunters are selfish. They don't care about anyone elses hunt. I just wish Hunters had more RESPECT for each other. I have seen quite a few 200lbs. deer out there though. Shot one last seen with vertical bow in Dec. that dressed out at 185lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Virginia deer are small.-10-pointer-004.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rongcp
I've bow hunted in South Hampton Va. now for over 20yrs. I am the only one who hunts 150acre lot owned by a doctor I do work for. He leases 20 acres out to a soybean farmer and the rest is wooded. But all bordering property is leased out to hunt clubs who run dogs. Nothing against dog hunters per se. What I have a problem with is when they intentionaly let them loose on property they dont lease to move the deer off that property onto theirs. Just yesterday I pulled up to my spot and across the street were 6 dog hunters posted about 50yards off the street in the field. 20 minutes after I got in my stand here comes three dogs all around my stand and one of the trucks across the street was pointed towards me moving his tracking antenna around trying to locacte his dogs on the property I hunt. Its like dog hunters are selfish. They don't care about anyone elses hunt. I just wish Hunters had more RESPECT for each other. I have seen quite a few 200lbs. deer out there though. Shot one last seen with vertical bow in Dec. that dressed out at 185lbs.
Another pic of my Dec. buck.
Attached Thumbnails Virginia deer are small.-imag0288.jpg  
Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

rongcp,

Nice looking buck there!

IMO deer hunting with dogs should be limited to hunting on private property of 1,000 acres or more.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

I killed a buck last year that dressed 160lbs and on the hoof was atleast 200 pounds in Woodbridge area with a crossbow the advantage I have is there is a unhunted state park next to the property and the deer roam but it also works as a disadvantage becuase when the pressure gets on they go into the park and dont come out until after dark kinda stinks
Old 12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Spike

We dont have the big 300lb bodys but we do have the big racks.I see it every year in our club.We have 700acres in central Va and we kill big deer every year.And by big deer i meen one was a big heavy 9 point that was 27 inches wide on the inside this year.True if you let a small buck walk it may get shot but if you pull the trigger it definatly wont make it. If you want meat shoot a big doe they taste better anyways.Talk to your neighbors and tell them your not shootn small bucks and getm on board as we have.Your 50 or 100acres will turn in to a QDMA with the help of your neighbors.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 AM
Spike

No body has really mentioned it. But another big difference with our Va deer is they are q different sub species of deer then those found say in the northeast or the Midwest. I would have to agree with those who said that their neighbor will shoot any buck that walks by. You got dog clubs and uneducated hunters slaying two year and younger bucks every single day. Not only does this hurt the heard and the buck to Doe ratio, but it lowers ones chances of shooting a big mature whitetail. It's amazing what proper nutrition, genetics, and herd management can accomplish. Just shoot the doe instead of the little buck. In four years you will be amazed at the difference.

Bowtech 82' airborne. 53#. 305 fps. QAD rest. Tru glo sight.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bad1980vette
No body has really mentioned it. But another big difference with our Va deer is they are q different sub species of deer then those found say in the northeast or the Midwest. I would have to agree with those who said that their neighbor will shoot any buck that walks by. You got dog clubs and uneducated hunters slaying two year and younger bucks every single day. Not only does this hurt the heard and the buck to Doe ratio, but it lowers ones chances of shooting a big mature whitetail. It's amazing what proper nutrition, genetics, and herd management can accomplish. Just shoot the doe instead of the little buck. In four years you will be amazed at the difference.

Bowtech 82' airborne. 53#. 305 fps. QAD rest. Tru glo sight.
Page 2, post #12