Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia muzzle seasons here >

Virginia muzzle seasons here

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia muzzle seasons here

Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Spike

Good luck to all Va hunters in the am........i'll be out in Bedford County with my summit viper climber, T/C Omega, 105grs loose pyrodex select an a 250gr Barnes xpander........let the smoke roll....and plz be safe..
Old 11-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Fork Horn

Here we go................................
Old 11-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Ok Folks, how did everyone do today?

I saw 17 (14 does and 3 bucks) and got 2! One was a buck with 4 points on one side and 4 (and a nub) points on the other; about a 16 inch spread. He was not huge, but looked really good. This is a better than fair buck for these parts. Although, I have seen some huge deer in the pre-season and post season, I have yet to see anyone around here take one of these big boys. The second one was a BIG doe; she was huge!

I took them with a CVA Accura (ver. 1), 100 grains Pyrodex, and T/C Surefire Sabots (230 grain). Yup the cheapies! The doe was shot at 25 yards and the buck at 35 yards. In both cases the shot was a pass through. The doe ran about 40 yards before crashing. I didn't see the crash, but I did hear it. The buck dropped in his tracks. He thrashed for about 30 seconds then it was "good night Irene!" I probably could have shot two more, but I was not looking forward to processing deer all night long.

It was an awesome day! The weather was cold, but not bitter. The sun came up and all was well.

This report comes from Lovettsville,VA.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

smoked a 4 pt in central virginia with Accura (V1), 90 grains 777 pellets, .240 XTP. Such a great shooting rifle with this load. Early AM before the wind started. He had his nose to ground moving swiftly. I'm 4 for 4 with this setup and load. Hope to do it again this week, I need to dust off the Omega Z5 and pop one. I love shooting that gun as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Fork Horn

Saw four does......seemed like they were everywhere. Hunted in a stand til 8am then stalked some. with the wet leaves and wind, it allowed me to get close to three. No harvests......gotta get back out soon....
Old 11-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saw 2 does and 1 button head.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I underdressed (it was WAY colder than I thought it would be!!) so I only lasted till 1100. Saw a doe (no shot) and a forkhorn that passed under my stand that I let pass.

Hunting with an Omega X7 with 110gr BH209 and Speer DCHP .44 cal 240 grain.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a big six pointer yesterday. Came in with his nose to the ground cruising. He had a broken point and an ear ripped right down the middle from base to tip. Definitely some pre-rut fighting and chasing going on now.

Mitch
Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Spike

Stuck indoors with a cold or something. Hopefully, Tuesday I will be out for blood. LOL!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

I got my wife into deer hunting last year and she missed a nice little 7 ptr one evening with here TC Encore Pro Hunter. Fortunately I got that same deer the next evening with my .30-06.

Saturday evening we were at it again in a different area near my FIL's where a farmer has put in a nice rye field. There have been sightings of a nice 8 and 10 ptr there. We setup a blind along the fence where we could cover most of the field. Her dad sat in the upstairs window of an old house nearby to watch. He has never deer hunted with his daughter (my wife) and wanted to watch.

We watched 2 does trickle out of the woods and browse around. One doe was skittish and left but the other browsed for 20 minutes or so. Soon after it left, 2 more crossed the fence about 75 yards from us but they seemed nervous about the blind and quickly went back the way they came. I haven't had deer react to my blind before so I don't know what happened.

Finally, just before the sun hit the horizon, a nice 6 ptr stepped out. I am guessing he was a 6 as I never scoped him. He came directly out of the direction of the sun so he was hard to see at first. He worked his way around about 75 yards away and stood broadside. I told my wife to shoot when she was ready. She doesn't know what happened, but she missed again. I thought for sure she had him this time. I got him in the scope of my Knight as he ran and I grunted as he hit the woods. He stopped and gave me a shot at about 125 yards, but my wife wasn't ready for me to shoot so I let him go.

My wife was really disappointed and upset that she let me and her father down but we have both missed deer and will miss again someday. Her dad was really excited just to see her get a shot. But she really enjoyed the hunt and said it seemed like one of those hunting shows I am always watching. How often do you get to sit in a blind and watch deer move in and out of the area and then get a shot? For me, not too often so I really enjoyed it.

I put the blind up in the field near my house and expect that she will get another shot in the coming weeks. I certainly hope so because I have to get her a deer before I can get one for myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.