New hunter in Charlotte

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

New hunter in Charlotte

Old 11-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Spike

Default New hunter in Charlotte

Hello everyone,

I'm 28 years old and I've never hunted before. My father wasn't into it and I simply never learned. Now that I have a son of my own (3 years old), I want to be able to do this kind of thing with him when he gets a little older. While I'm new to hunting I'm not new to guns, and I'm a decent shot, but it's the actual hunting part that is holding me up.

So my question is, how should I go about learning to hunt?

I have no idea exactly where to hunt in NC. If it's public land, I assume they don't provide stands for you to sit in, so I guess you have to stalk them?

I've never field dressed an animal, but want to be able to go from the kill to the freezer on my own.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Spike

Should have added, right now I'm looking at deer, duck, turkey and hog. Probably in that order.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome,
Never too late to start hunting,
I started about the same. Age and without a mentor also.
First start with your hunter ed certs,
Lots of info at the courses,
You don't need the certs to go out and scout, but would avoid doing so during deer season.
Don't want to interfere with other hunters until. You learn your way around.
Once you have your certs and ready to hunt, can start with small game, and work up to big game, small game is generally abundant and have long seasons,

feel free to psot any specific questions, generally easier to answer specific questions than general questions
Old 11-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

I live in charlotte also, Ill contact you soon. Like stated above NC does require a hunter safety course. Little late for this season to get on board with that unless youve had a licence before/ or one from another state that transfers. Have you looked into archery?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Spike

Is this a legit website to allow me to get my license?

http://www.hunter-ed.com/nc/
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like that site is for referance only and not an actual certification course.
I recomend going through your states agency course.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Terasec
Looks like that site is for referance only and not an actual certification course.
I recomend going through your states agency course.
What about the warning on the front page?

Effective November 18, 2009, the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission changed their guidelines for distance learning. Students are now required to spend a minimum amount of time on each course page before proceeding to the certification exam.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Le...Education.aspx

go to the above page, and on the right hand side youll see a button for "check for available courses"... I looked it seems there are a few courses available, you have to preregister and then attend a two or 3 day class, Hyatts gun shop is doing one this coming weekend, Ide try and get on that, good guys there and I took my class there also a few years ago. Ide rather do a weekend one, and get it outta the way in two days.

Also are you intrested in archery? I went that route, cause you cant shoot a gun in most areas, and if you have a yard you can practice...

Last edited by louie6014; 11-07-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by louie6014
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Le...Education.aspx

go to the above page, and on the right hand side youll see a button for "check for available courses"... I looked it seems there are a few courses available, you have to preregister and then attend a two or 3 day class, Hyatts gun shop is doing one this coming weekend, Ide try and get on that, good guys there and I took my class there also a few years ago. Ide rather do a weekend one, and get it outta the way in two days.

Also are you intrested in archery? I went that route, cause you cant shoot a gun in most areas, and if you have a yard you can practice...
Thanks, I bought my first gun from Hyatts about 6 years ago. I'll have to check it out.

I am very interested in archery, but I figure I'll have to wait until next season since I don't have a bow.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Yea, well if you get the hunters edu done, and get a licence you might be able to get in a white tail hunt this year. Only reason I asked about the archery is in NC you can hunt on sundays with archery, so if your weekend hunting you doubled your time in the woods right there. I hunt a few spots with permission that wouldnt be available to a gun hunter, most people that let you use their land dont want to hear guns blasting off early in the morning. Also archery season opens early sept 11, gun dosent start till nov 10. I think. As for cutting up your own deer, I field dress mine, and take them to a processor.. I use Nichols store in rockhill, about $60 to have the whole thing done up, packaged, cut/ ground meats, etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.