HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Dove Season at C.F. Phelps WMA (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/349197-dove-season-c-f-phelps-wma.html)

kvmapr 09-04-2011 12:39 PM

Dove Season at C.F. Phelps WMA

Yesterday was opening day of dove season here in VA, and I'm wondering if anyone on this board was hunting at C.F. Phelps... I plan on hitting the WMA tomorrow, my first visit there, and wonder what to expect.

I've read there's 25+ acres of dove fields to hunt, but Phelps is a very popular WMA, at least in deer season.

kvmapr 09-10-2011 08:46 PM

I've got an update for this topic. I hit the second day of the season at Phelps WMA and found there were a lot of trucks parked at the dove fields. But I pushed to the far end of the fields and found a great place to set up, well away from any other shooters.

The fields were planted in corn, and a dozen rows around the edges had been mowed down. Plenty of grain had hit the ground and would draw the birds. I put out a mojo dove decoy and a few standard decoys in front of my hide.

From noon to 2 there were just a couple of birds in the air, none close enough for a shot. But after 2 things started to pick up and a couple birds came within range for a shot. The decoys definitely seemed to pull them in as both birds dropped down for a closer look.

In the other parts of the field I could hear guns from a half dozen different groups, but not for long. At 2:30 the skies opened up and poured rain, the day was shot, no more birds.

All in all, I'd probably go back and hunt dove at Phelps again, but not on Saturdays. Just too many people. Wednesday's will probably be better. I don't think I'll ever have a great day of doves there, too much hunting pressure, but I should be able to get a bird or two from time to time. In the absence of anywhere else to hunt, this will have to do.

fishguts 09-13-2011 04:08 AM

I hunted there once on opening day about 10 years ago. That was enough for me. Way too crowded and way too many idiots shooting at low-flying birds, birds way out of range and just too many inconsiderate hunters.

I'm not sure if it's gotten any better, but it seems like the DGIF should do a limited entry lottery or something for opening day and maybe Labor Day. That would make it a much more enjoyable experience for everyone.

ButchA 09-13-2011 06:27 AM

Dove hunting on a WMA? Whoa... You are brave!

I remember stopping at a WMA during dove season a number of years ago - on a Saturday. I didn't even want to get out of my truck! I just sat there thinking, "OH.....MY.....GOD" :eek2:

It was so crowded and there were so many cars & trucks, it was almost like going to an outdoor rock concert or something! I turned around and went home. I had heard later on, that the DGIF game wardens were all over the place, and had written so many citations, they actually ran out of them!! :rolleyes: