HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Verify a South Carolina Rut Prediction (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/349068-verify-south-carolina-rut-prediction.html)

sjoslin 09-01-2011 11:29 AM

Verify a South Carolina Rut Prediction

I am considering purchasing a 3 day hunt over Oct 27-29th in the lowlands of South Carolina.

The seller has told me this is the "Prime Rut" -- being a relatively new Whitetail hunter, can anyone verify this to some degree?

Appreciate your time.

MALLARD76 09-02-2011 08:26 AM

Rut

I hunted in the "Lowcountry" that same time period last year. The rut hadn't kicked in yet while I was there. It was also still quite warm outside. Out of the 8 guys hunting with the Outfitter only 1 shot a buck (small 6 at that). Good luck. If I go up again this year it would not be the end of first week of Nov.

halfbakedi420 09-02-2011 09:35 AM

i just read that the last 2 weeks of oct, and the 1st 2 weeks of nov
from
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/faqsdeer.html#12

Jmp51483 09-02-2011 09:49 AM

I'd say that you're a bit early... but it obviously varies from year to year. There are many things to take into account during the rut, pressure, weather, deer ratio, etc etc etc. When we hunt in SC I normally always see the most activity about the 1st - 2nd week of November, 2 years ago we had a really late rate peak which was almost the 3rd week.

Honestly the stages of the rut last much longer than we all like to admit, deer ultimately rut for weeks at the time... but we look for that peak. Hard thing to hit right everytime... There is something to be said for listening to the owner of the land though, they generally know best as long as he is being honest with you.

BRUSE 09-04-2011 04:49 AM

Where are you hunting at exactly. I'm from the low country of SC. It will still be warm although it maybe cool first thing in the am. I would look for the rut a little later in Nov. good luck and remember you can't bag one from the house so get out there.

Luv2KilFish 09-15-2011 07:08 PM

I'm not an expert but I was watching a show called Deer and Deer Hunting. They had an expert in deer behavior on. He wrote a book on the rut and how the moon affects it. He said that last year's rut was a uncommon trickle rut that happens from time to time so we can't go by what happend last year. He also said that this year's rut will be very good. According to him it will start just before or after the full moon on November 10. I hope he's right. I'm planning my vacation around it. Hope this helps

Stonewall308 09-23-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Luv2KilFish (Post 3848298)
I'm not an expert but I was watching a show called Deer and Deer Hunting. They had an expert in deer behavior on. He wrote a book on the rut and how the moon affects it. He said that last year's rut was a uncommon trickle rut that happens from time to time so we can't go by what happend last year. He also said that this year's rut will be very good. According to him it will start just before or after the full moon on November 10. I hope he's right. I'm planning my vacation around it. Hope this helps

I'm no expert, but Nov. 10 seems awfully late for my area.

If the rut were accurately predicted by the moon, it seems like it would happen at the same time across the entire country, which we know isn't the case. I'm not saying the moon isn't a factor, but I don't think it is the primary determining factor.

From everything I've read and heard, most people think the rut is triggered by the first good cold snap in late October or early November. If the end of October is unseasonably warm, the rut will definitely be delayed or suppressed. Last year I know for a fact that the rut was on in late October.

BigRidge 10-12-2011 09:47 PM

Stonewall hit it on the head. Saw the samething here in Northwestern NC. The rut peaked here the first week in Nov. It was very short but great while it lasted.

countertop 10-13-2011 05:21 AM

Not in SC, but I hunted the lowlands of eastern North Carolina on a friends property October 28-30th a couple of years ago and there was a ton of activity. Sat and watched two bucks battle it out for almost an hour, about 600 yards from me (thank god for good binoculars). Killed a few does and decent sized (for E. NC) 8 pointer.

RenaissanceBiker 10-19-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stonewall308 (Post 3851793)
From everything I've read and heard, most people think the rut is triggered by the first good cold snap in late October or early November. If the end of October is unseasonably warm, the rut will definitely be delayed or suppressed. Last year I know for a fact that the rut was on in late October.

Agreed. That first good cold snap begins tonight. It will be windy tomorrow so I'm taking Friday off. If anyone is interested, our hunt club is still taking members. We have 4,500 acres south of Heath Springs, SC. Half of it is in Lancaster County and half is in Kershaw County.