2011 Va Acorn Crop >

2011 Va Acorn Crop

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

2011 Va Acorn Crop

Old 08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default 2011 Va Acorn Crop

How's acorns looking in you area this year? Mine aren't spectacular but don't look too bad either. Looks like the Red Oaks have the most where I'm at this year.

VA
Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

TONS of Red oak acorns around us in central bama too! The limbs on some red oaks are literally saggin due to the amount of acorns.... White oaks arent lookn terrible either, found a few trees today that will produce a good crop this yr.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

got a pretty good crop it looks like, ive got some big white oaks over my house and a few have dropped
Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Spike

Default On the Blue Ridge?

How about the higher elevations along the blue ridge..anybody know if there is ANY Mast production up there?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I'm seeing some decent acorns on the ground but not hearing them fall yet. Last year it was like being inside a pachinko machine.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Not seeing much of anything in my area (near Tappahannock)
Last yr the trees were full, made cutting grass this spring a hazzard from flying debris.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Spike

Got several big white oaks in the back yard and haven't really started showing much yet. I haven't really paid much attention since I started scouting a few weeks ago. I would give them a few more weeks around the Fredericksburg areas before they really start showing, but I could be wrong? I sure hope the acorn crop is "NOT" as good as it was last season! I remember not seeing allot of movement in regards to feeding habits because there were acorns everywhere!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

I beleive you hunt Quantico 6C I'm a regular on Quantico but I find 6C to be very hard to hunt due to the amount of guys that hunt it and it's kinda hilly I have a hard time finding deer in there if I'm correct you have taken a few nice bucks out of there I no you wont share your secrets but any tips would be great plus I'm always up to make a new local hunter friend
Old 08-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

the Message was to Grizzl
Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd
I beleive you hunt Quantico 6C I'm a regular on Quantico but I find 6C to be very hard to hunt due to the amount of guys that hunt it and it's kinda hilly I have a hard time finding deer in there if I'm correct you have taken a few nice bucks out of there I no you wont share your secrets but any tips would be great plus I'm always up to make a new local hunter friend
Sorry to say I'm not local anymore. I'm in Florida and only hunt Va 3 weeks out of the year. I hunted Quantico since 1966 living in va till 2003 so I know the base well. I watch for logging activity and wait for it to grow up again..I have some tried and tru funnels that will always hold deer..Mostly my 1st week is simply scouting/still hunting finding the does and buck sign. Done it for so long and know the areas I can gennerally go right to the core areas...they don't move much year to year but think THICK...an example without giving too much away is walking the swamp bottom in soft mud the having to bust brush up to a midpoint of the ridges..the big ones don't often walk the very top because they are exposed and will be 3/4 to 1/2 down gennerally right where the laurel opens to the hardwood..but 10yards INSIDE the laurel..they don't expose themselves if they have any choice. You can find these inside laurel trails by hunkering down and busting through the middle until you find a trail..then follow it both ways to the bed or feeding entrances..

there was an Oak Blight 20 years ago that killed ALLOT of white oaks..they are starting to come back but are relatively few..scout the oaks and look for feeding sign. they move from tree to tree..easy to see if a tree is being hit. setup on fresh sign..

AND DON"T HUNT THE SAME SPOT DAY AFTER DAY..after the 2nd trip within a week YOU ARE PATTERNED just by your scent..MIX IT UP