HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Season Prep? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/347530-season-prep.html)

bushanic 08-01-2011 01:38 PM

Season Prep?

Started around 11:30 finishes around 1:30. by that time it was dam near 100 out. My next spot was just about a 1/2 mile around a corn field and could not make it. I hope it cools down by the weekend I got 3-5 more to set. The price of gas don't help any.

Anyone else beating the heat to get ready.

VA5326 08-02-2011 06:48 AM

I know exactly how you feel. 4 stands hung this year, about 15 more to go.......PHEW!!!

mackesr 08-05-2011 07:54 AM

Basically only had to chage one stand location and did it back in May, so good to go! I remember moving a few stands last year in July and sweating my a$$ off and getting many chiggers....not fun!

flips2 08-06-2011 10:45 AM

I had to put up a new stand in Clifton. Went over there to put up my trail camera and a huge tree fell right on my stand. Snapped the platform right in half. I just go back from putting up the new hangon. A tip that I used today that may help you all. The stand I put was heavy so I bought a rope ratchet system from Lowe's that uses a 3/8" rope. Climbed up on my ladder, screwed in a tree step and hung the ratchet. I was able to pull up the stand and when it got to the right height I was able to use both hands to strap it to the tree. The rope ratchet locks so I didn't have to hold the stand while trying to strap it on. They sell kits similar to this (HS Outdoors) but was able to get the same thing for half the price. The rope ratchet was $10 at Lowes and 3/8" rope was $5-7. Worked really well.

bushanic 08-07-2011 01:09 PM

I cant remember the last time I sweated so much. Doing all this stand setting suck cant wait till the boy gets old enough to set his own or enough experience to handle it. I let him put up 3 section of a 20ft ladder before his legs were done.

I did have one thing go right,it rain pretty good last night.

Deepsouthdeerjunky 08-07-2011 03:44 PM

I typically hunt out of climbes but today i hung my first lock on stand and it absolutely kicked my butt! Much more difficult than i expected.. but worth it... took two hrs! ha

bushanic 08-08-2011 03:40 PM

Deepsouthdeerjunk.Do you use a lineman belt? I use a tree strap with a pulley hooked to it a use a rope to pull it up and the tie it off to the ladder to hold in place. I try to get has many stick put together be fore I go up and carry everything else on me to the top that way you dont have to climb up and down so much. Just some tips hope I helps.

I hate hang stands but I love them come hunting time sometimes I just dont want to carry my climber in or I dont have the time to. I also only hang them in areas that I can use them full season. Climber I can move with the deer. For me hang-on are for pattern deer

Ohboy 08-10-2011 09:31 AM

i have 6 ladderstands that i left in the same spots from last year that produced well. normally its only my dad that hunts out of the ladderstands and my brother or a guest here and there but i hunt out of my climber most of the time, until dog season then i hunt in my ladderstands or on the ground somewhere near a chase. but still hunting i just dont like being that low to the ground in the ladderstand, i feel like i stick out like a sore thumb.