Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
new va wma mattaponi >

new va wma mattaponi

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

new va wma mattaponi

Old 05-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Spike

Default new va wma mattaponi

well we got a new wma in bowling green va cant wait to go hunting there this year http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/maps/mattaponi.pdf
Old 05-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Do you have a better map of the area. Its so new it does not show up on the web site under WMA.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Spike

Looks to be a WMA similar to Pettigrew WMA but almost 200 acres smaller. Something like 765 acres. Says it was part of A.P. Hill. I was initially excited about the new addition, but the location and size makes it less attractive to me. I've seen how hunters drive into Pettigrew and tear up the roads, so this property will more than likely be the same? I did read that horse riding is prohibited. I wish they would do the same with Phelps WMA! Sorry about the negativity, but I'm just not impressed.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Average Joe ......... The VDGIF outdoor report says that Mattaponi is 2,542 Acres.....
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Spike

it over 2,000 acres, bushanic that the only one i know of but look like a great hunting opp to hunt there looking forward to it see yall around
Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by brewman555
Average Joe ......... The VDGIF outdoor report says that Mattaponi is 2,542 Acres.....
I must have misread an article on the property? That's great! I drove out to look at it this morning and it doesn't look like theyt have cut in any parking lots ye? I was looking for a place to pull off and there were a couple very small, short pull offs. It looks like it has an abundance of hardwoods, which is good. I was expecting to see allot of pines being that it was an A.P. Hill property. I wish I would have put in some time there during this years Spring Gobbler, but I will be scouting there this Summer for the up coming Early archery. Ron

Edit: I just re read the article and the Mattaponi WMA property was purchased at 2 separate times. the first parcel (765 acres) was purchased initially, the the remainder (1,700 acres) was purchased after wards.

Last edited by Average Joe; 05-15-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look for Mattaponi WMA to be overrun with deer dogs this coming season...

Look - I don't have a problem with deer dogs, but, it's just not my thing - not for deer anyway. I'll continue driving out to the other side of the Blue Ridge and/or driving all the way up to my sister & bro-in-law's farm in upstate New York for deer hunting.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Spike

that what herd about pettigrew wma that going to be over run buy hunting dogs not the case havent seen one in the 3yrs i hunted there hope to have peacful hunt at mattapioni
Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by public hunter09
that what herd about pettigrew wma that going to be over run buy hunting dogs not the case havent seen one in the 3yrs i hunted there hope to have peacful hunt at mattapioni
I hope you're right! I just want a place that's not to far where I can bow hunt in peace! It's hard to get in a nap or two when them benchlegs are runnin all over the place
Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by public hunter09
public hunter09.......you haven`t seen any dogs because dogs are not allowed on Pettigrew......

Butch A .......... I don`t think you`ll be allowed to use dogs on Mattaponi if it shares a property line with A.P.Hill........NO DOGS for deer hunting on APH.........and if you can use dogs on Mattaponi and they cross over to APH YOU CAN`T TRESSPASS to get your dogs....you MUST have a background check in order to go onto the base......if your caught on AHP without a permit and being checked into a TA (Hunting Area) you will be arrested......I know because i hunt APH and when you hunt there you had better know and follow the rules or else because they don`t mess around.....

So to all who will hunt Mattaponi .... if it shares a boundary line with APH make sure you know the boundary lines so as not to cross over onto APH and wind up in trouble.......

Good Hunting .... Good Luck and be Safe in the coming Deer Season.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.