HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   va turkey season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/343160-va-turkey-season.html)

droptine8 04-08-2011 07:42 AM

va turkey season

G.L. to everyone thats hunting tomorrow .heading out now to do a little scouting an try to roost 1 tonight .and g.l post pics if you have any luck and be careful

VA5326 04-08-2011 11:01 AM

I'm clucking for a guy tomorrow morning who has never killed a turkey. I'm more excited for him than I've been for myself.

rlpsystems 04-16-2011 08:56 AM

Putting in alot of time this season. Looking forward to a three day hunt next week. Covering parts of Axton and Bassett good luck to all

TheArrowSlinger 04-18-2011 07:48 AM

I'm chasing them in SW VA. They aren't talking much here right now. I got one to gobble one time yesterday just at dark. Couldn't find him this morning, but the wind was loud.

I'll get up with them eventually. Just need a break in the weather.

scottycoyote 04-18-2011 10:40 AM

yeah ill be hunting them later this week, friday out in spencer and saturday in the opposite direction up in patrick springs, either there or up at philpott. All my turkey buddies say the toms arent gobbling much yet.

TheArrowSlinger 04-18-2011 11:15 AM

These eastern birds just don't talk much... and one wrong sounds and they shut up completely...

If you've never hunted merriams out west, you should treat yourself to it. You can rub two sheets of sandpaper together and get them to answer. lol

droptine8 04-19-2011 09:30 AM

well been doing alot of chasing . Sat. callled 1 in for a friend but he couldnt finish the job . Ive been hearing alot of birds but most of the ones im hearing are still hend up. there has been a few scragglers from time to time but never presented a kill shot so its back at it in a cpl days . The ole legs aint what they use to be. gl every1 hopefully ill have some pics soon

turkeyhunter76 04-24-2011 04:04 PM

some va gobblers

4 Attachment(s)
I got one last sat. 4-16-11 22lbs. 5ozs, my brother and me got these yesterday 4-23-11 mine was 20lbs 3ozs his was 24lbs 7 ozs look at the difference in just the head size , big ol bird, his had an 1 9/16" spur and a 1 1/2" spur mine had 1 1/4" spurs it was a great morning!!

scottycoyote 04-24-2011 09:42 PM

no luck this past weekend, had some gobbling but once they hit the ground they shut up. Saw a puffed up tom out in a greenfield but couldnt bring him in, had a jake sneak up behind us but something set him off and he did a 180.

flips2 04-25-2011 07:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My buddy and I just got back from our annual weel long trip throughout VA. The only thing taken was this bird in Montgomery County. It was a very tough week as the birds didn't talk much. We did see quite a few birds but most of them were on neighboring properties. This bird was shot at 8am and came in to the decoys completely silent. I was lucky to get him because my gun was against the tree and I was on my blackberry goofing off. I just happened to look up and see him in full strut heading towards my full body tom decoy at 25 yds. He weighed 23 lbs, 9 1/2" beard, and spurs were 1 2/8" and 1 3/8". Biggest spurs I have ever had on a turkey. It was still a great week to get away and chase them around.