HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Proposed changes to Virginia regulations (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/341911-proposed-changes-virginia-regulations.html)

Alex G. 03-14-2011 07:55 AM

Proposed changes to Virginia regulations

Virginia Hunters, Trappers & Fishermen need to visit the VDGIF's website and comment on the propsed changes for next year. http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/

Some of the changes are pretty dramatic. License fees going up, seperating the bear license, absolutely no feeding except for July.

bowhuntr09 03-16-2011 06:49 AM

comments made, thanks for the heads up.

vapahunter 03-16-2011 12:25 PM

Notice who one of the big groups is pushing these changes - the Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance. Wonder where you might have heard of them before. If they are pushing these changes you can bet on one thing. It will benefit them to the detriment of all other hunters. They got turned down by the General Assembly on all these changes in the past now they are trying to influence the VDGIF to make the changes on their own. They have their own agenda and it is not for all hunters. Contact them at their website and let them know how you feel about their underhanded agenda. If your club is on their web page then you ARE supoporting everything they do as they use your name to justify it to the VDGIF.

Email us at [email protected]

Why do we need to ban feeding deer for all months except July? What makes July so special?

brewman555 03-17-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by vapahunter (Post 3787347)
Notice who one of the big groups is pushing these changes - the Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance. Wonder where you might have heard of them before. If they are pushing these changes you can bet on one thing. It will benefit them to the detriment of all other hunters. They got turned down by the General Assembly on all these changes in the past now they are trying to influence the VDGIF to make the changes on their own. They have their own agenda and it is not for all hunters. Contact them at their website and let them know how you feel about their underhanded agenda. If your club is on their web page then you ARE supoporting everything they do as they use your name to justify it to the VDGIF.

Email us at [email protected]

Why do we need to ban feeding deer for all months except July? What makes July so special?

The VAHDA sure seem to be a SELFISH and SELF-CENTERED group of hunters.....I don`t know why anybody would want to have anything to do with them.........seems they are ANTI-ANYTHING that dosn`t benefit them.............

Wondered about the July feeding law myself.....makes no sense to me..........

Alex G. 03-17-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by brewman555 (Post 3787579)
The VDGIF sure seem to be a SELFISH and SELF-CENTERED group of hunters.....I don`t know why anybody would want to have anything to do with them.........seems they are ANTI-ANYTHING that dosn`t benefit them.............

Wondered about the July feeding law myself.....makes no sense to me..........

brewman.. you mean the vadha not the vdgif. and the reasoning stated at the 1Mar meeting concerning feeding made abolutely no sense to me either, but their proposing a 1 month (july) timeframe so hunters/hunt clubs and farmers can count their herds. I'm not sure that it will work with just a 1 month timeframe... but I dont do it anyway!

brewman555 03-17-2011 08:39 AM

Thanks ALEX G ....... I fixed it.........

Stonewall308 03-17-2011 01:05 PM

The only one I see that is supported by the VADHA is the separate bear license regulation.

The rationale seems to be that VADHA wants more bears for themselves, so they figure that if deer hunters don't have bear tags they won't be shooting bear. I'd wager that several dozen (or several hundred) of the bear killed in VA each year are killed by people who were stand hunting for deer and weren't betting on seeing a bear, and nearly all of them wouldn't have had a bear tag if they had to buy it separately.

In other words, under the regs pushed by VADHA, the number of bear killed by people without dogs will drop dramatically, yielding more bear for VADHA.

VAhuntr 03-17-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stonewall308 (Post 3787686)
The only one I see that is supported by the VADHA is the separate bear license regulation.

The rationale seems to be that VADHA wants more bears for themselves, so they figure that if deer hunters don't have bear tags they won't be shooting bear. I'd wager that several dozen (or several hundred) of the bear killed in VA each year are killed by people who were stand hunting for deer and weren't betting on seeing a bear, and nearly all of them wouldn't have had a bear tag if they had to buy it separately.

In other words, under the regs pushed by VADHA, the number of bear killed by people without dogs will drop dramatically, yielding more bear for VADHA.

Very good assessment. I say the VDGIF should create a special license to hunt deer with dogs in addition to the big game license!

brewman555 03-18-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by VAhuntr (Post 3787815)
Very good assessment. I say the VDGIF should create a special license to hunt deer with dogs in addition to the big game license!

EXCELLENT IDEA :happy0001: If the VDGIF proposed a license to hunt deer with dogs the VADHA would have a fit.....I can`t imagine the crying and complaining they would do.....

VAhuntr 03-19-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by brewman555 (Post 3788045)
EXCELLENT IDEA :happy0001: If the VDGIF proposed a license to hunt deer with dogs the VADHA would have a fit.....I can`t imagine the crying and complaining they would do.....

If the VDGIF makes a special license for hunting bear then I would not be shocked to see the deer and turkey license eventually split as well. If the VADHA is really backing this then maybe someone should propose a special "dog hunting" license.