Proposed changes to Virginia regulations >

Proposed changes to Virginia regulations

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Proposed changes to Virginia regulations

Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by countertop
Actually, I don't think thats true. You can't use them September to January. But in Northern Virginia, the season actually goes till March 26 or so. I don't know if they are banned then or not.

but I think generally a ban on bait is asinine, especially in non agricultural areas (because lets face it, a well managed food plot or agricultural land is little different than bait anyway). But that's me. Bait is used effectively across the river in Maryland. And in plenty of other states.

Does not matter if your deer season runs into March....it is illegal to:

"Occupy any baited blind or other baited place for the purpose of taking or attempting to take any wild game bird or wild game animal or to put out bait or salt for the purpose of taking or killing any wild game bird or wild game animal, except for the purpose of trapping furbearing animals."

This is a quote from the VDGIF website on "Unlawful Methods" in the Hunting Regulations website.

The proposed regulation is talking about banning the feeding wildlife with the exception of 1 month per year. In fact some VA counties already ban feeding year round. Here is a link, scroll down the page to the section of "Unlawful Methods."

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ns/general.asp
Old 04-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TheWilltoHunt
Well understood but who decided that one month was sufficient. I completely understand the goal of that month but why just 1 month why not 2 or 3.
Well thats our VDGIF in action... you can listen to the recorded session from their website... and you can hear for yourself how they came up with it.... umm August.... no ummm.,... July.... June would be better...
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Does not matter if your deer season runs into March....it is illegal to:

"Occupy any baited blind or other baited place for the purpose of taking or attempting to take any wild game bird or wild game animal or to put out bait or salt for the purpose of taking or killing any wild game bird or wild game animal, except for the purpose of trapping furbearing animals."

This is a quote from the VDGIF website on "Unlawful Methods" in the Hunting Regulations website.

The proposed regulation is talking about banning the feeding wildlife with the exception of 1 month per year. In fact some VA counties already ban feeding year round. Here is a link, scroll down the page to the section of "Unlawful Methods."

www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp
+1 couldnt have said it any better
Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alex G.
Well thats our VDGIF in action... you can listen to the recorded session from their website... and you can hear for yourself how they came up with it.... umm August.... no ummm.,... July.... June would be better...
You gotta be kidding me . . . I'm looking it up now to listen . . . Nothing like good research based decision making by the people controlling the future of our natural resources . . .
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks VAhunter.

That makes more sense. Of course, it doesn't change the fact that the ban - like so much else in Virginia (Sunday hunting ban, hunting deer with dogs) makes no sense to most of the population.

And in a state over run with deer, it would be a very effective management tool and should at least be at the option of those counties that want to allow it.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by countertop
Thanks VAhunter.

That makes more sense. Of course, it doesn't change the fact that the ban - like so much else in Virginia (Sunday hunting ban, hunting deer with dogs) makes no sense to most of the population.

And in a state over run with deer, it would be a very effective management tool and should at least be at the option of those counties that want to allow it.
actually most of the deer hunters population agree with this fyi
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I don't care one way or another deerdogdude.

But fwiw, most folks I know (and nearly all the folks I know outside of VA) don't.

My point though, is that the blanket ban on bait is asinine. But its even more ludicrous how willing hunters are to throw other hunters under the bus (for supposed ethical/moral/whatever reasons) if those other hunters have a different view point.

Pennsylvania is an utter mess because of this. And, living now in Northern Virginia, I see the same thing happening in Virginia. Over bait. over dogs. over sunday hunting.

Really, what I'd like, is for DGIF to set a target harvest rate. Maybe help manage for rack size. But beyond that, get the F out of the way and let people do what they want.

If you don't want people running dogs on your land. post it. If your ok with it, allow it.
If you dont want people hunting on your land on sunday, don't allow it. If your ok with it, allow it.
If you dont want people baiting on your land, dont let them. If your ok with it, then let them.

But Virginia is a massive state. And the differences between NoVA, and SW VA and Central VA and the SE coast are tremendous. Add to that, the diversity of hunters (especially around DC) who grew up elsewhere in the country and hunted differently (no one outside of the South East can believe there is still a ban on Sunday hunting) really demand that DGIF just get out of the way.

They shouldn't be regulating morals or ethics. And neither should anyone else.

Last edited by countertop; 04-11-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

i agree with that
Old 04-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

when do we find out if these pass?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
when do we find out if these pass?

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulat...nt/display.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.