Anti hunting group in Va >

Anti hunting group in Va

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Anti hunting group in Va

Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Anti hunting group in Va

Here is a statement from a group that says it is for expanding hunting opportunities in the state of Virginia. does this look like they want to do everything they can to expand hunting for everyone and provide mote opportunities for new hunters escpecially our youth. Think of them when someone asks if you want Sunday hunting.

Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance (http://vahda.org/index.html)
Sunday Hunting

The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance has adopted a position opposing hunting on Sunday for many reasons. It is first and foremost an expression of the vast majority of our membership, even though all may not subscribe to all of the stated reasons in this paper.

1. The first and foremost reason is our faith. The Fourth Commandment is reason enough to oppose hunting on Sunday. "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. We also recognize that
the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

2. We believe that all can use a day of rest. It is a time to recover and reflect. You may look for lost dogs or game animals, declared by the law to be hunting, but the retrieval of lost sheep is consistent with the gospel. We believe that the hunted also benefit from the day of rest.

3. We believe landowners want a day to rest. To enjoy the quiet of their property, absent their guests of the rest of the week, no matter how welcome they may be at other times. Sunday is a day of reflection.

4. We believe that even the most supportive families would benefit from this positive statement of family values.

5. Other outdoor users appreciate a day to themselves. Without this day, they may turn against the selfish
hunters who demand hunting on Sunday and place all hunting at risk. Remember all hunting is not done on large private tracts.

6. Virginia has the most generous limits on deer kill of any state in the nation. No hunter, no matter how they plead otherwise, is so deprived as not to be able to find an opportunity to hunt during the long seasons. We acknowledge that some of our number have a limited number of vacation days, but believe that resulting public opinion would inescapably be negative, and give antihunters a big hammer to bludgeon us with.

7. Modern wildlife management bases its hunting seasons on range carrying capacities, species reproductive rates and mortality rates. One significant factor in determining any hunting season is the number of animals harvested by hunters. The number of animals harvested by hunters is determined by man-days a field times the success rate. Most studies have shown that typically 40% of total man-hours of hunting occur on Saturday. The addition of Sunday would be certain to require the eventual adjustment of the seasons for most if not all species that are hunted. This would result in the eventual shortening of the hunting season.

The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance acknowledges that hunters are coming to Virginia from other areas having Sunday hunting. Many areas allow other practices that have also long been against the law in Virginia such as hunting over bait and hunting big game animals in small enclosures. We see no reason to support hunting on Sunday in the Commonwealth of Virginia at this time.

1 http://70030.netministry.com/apps/ar...&columnid=3803

Pay particular attention to this statement: "It is first and foremost an expression of the vast majority of our membership, even though all may not subscribe to all of the stated reasons in this paper."

This is to cover themselves when the attested to representing anyone who donated to them in order to "expand and protect dog hunting" Then they used that fact to say that all donors clubs and members supported their position. They are in league with PETA, HSUS and the Farm Bureau in curtailing hunters from expanding their opportunities to hunt.

Last edited by vapahunter; 01-26-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Personally I agree with thier idea...I don't hunt on Sunday either..we are allowed to but I choose not to.

and I diffently aint an anti hunter..
Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

But at least you have the choice to hunt Sunday's where the hunters in Va do not and one of the reasons is stated above. I have no qualms with anybody who personnally is against it but to have a group that stands up in front of the law making body of the state and outright lies to them, against their own mission statement, is not what a true sports group would do.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

[
QUOTE=vapahunter;3764217]Here is a statement from a group that says it is for expanding hunting opportunities in the state of Virginia. does this look like they want to do everything they can to expand hunting for everyone and provide mote opportunities for new hunters escpecially our youth. Think of them when someone asks if you want Sunday hunting.

Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance (http://vahda.org/index.html)
Sunday Hunting

The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance has adopted a position opposing hunting on Sunday for many reasons. It is first and foremost an expression of the vast majority of our membership, even though all may not subscribe to all of the stated reasons in this paper.

1. The first and foremost reason is our faith. The Fourth Commandment is reason enough to oppose hunting on Sunday. "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. We also recognize that
the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
Does anyone really consider hunting work?

2. We believe that all can use a day of rest. It is a time to recover and reflect. You may look for lost dogs or game animals, declared by the law to be hunting, but the retrieval of lost sheep is consistent with the gospel. We believe that the hunted also benefit from the day of rest.
Using this logic then should fish not get a break from fisherman?

3. We believe landowners want a day to rest. To enjoy the quiet of their property, absent their guests of the rest of the week, no matter how welcome they may be at other times. Sunday is a day of reflection.
What about the hunter who owns his or her own land?

4. We believe that even the most supportive families would benefit from this positive statement of family values.
What better day is there to introduce a family member to hunting?

5. Other outdoor users appreciate a day to themselves. Without this day, they may turn against the selfish
hunters who demand hunting on Sunday and place all hunting at risk. Remember all hunting is not done on large private tracts.
I thought the landowners wanted the land to themselves(see statement #3)?

6. Virginia has the most generous limits on deer kill of any state in the nation. No hunter, no matter how they plead otherwise, is so deprived as not to be able to find an opportunity to hunt during the long seasons. We acknowledge that some of our number have a limited number of vacation days, but believe that resulting public opinion would inescapably be negative, and give antihunters a big hammer to bludgeon us with.
Why haven't states such as Alabama, which also has a generous limit faced these same problems?

7. Modern wildlife management bases its hunting seasons on range carrying capacities, species reproductive rates and mortality rates. One significant factor in determining any hunting season is the number of animals harvested by hunters. The number of animals harvested by hunters is determined by man-days a field times the success rate. Most studies have shown that typically 40% of total man-hours of hunting occur on Saturday. The addition of Sunday would be certain to require the eventual adjustment of the seasons for most if not all species that are hunted. This would result in the eventual shortening of the hunting season.
Who knows what kind of effect it would have?

The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance acknowledges that hunters are coming to Virginia from other areas having Sunday hunting. Many areas allow other practices that have also long been against the law in Virginia such as hunting over bait and hunting big game animals in small enclosures. We see no reason to support hunting on Sunday in the Commonwealth of Virginia at this time.

1 http://70030.netministry.com/apps/ar...&columnid=3803

Pay particular attention to this statement: "It is first and foremost an expression of the vast majority of our membership, even though all may not subscribe to all of the stated reasons in this paper."

This is to cover themselves when the attested to representing anyone who donated to them in order to "expand and protect dog hunting" Then they used that fact to say that all donors clubs and members supported their position. They are in league with PETA, HSUS and the Farm Bureau in curtailing hunters from expanding their opportunities to hunt.
See my answers in red in the above quote.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 01-26-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Deleted..I'm not a VA hunter..and need to stay out of this conversation.

Last edited by Chuck7; 01-28-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

My reply to the VAHDA is............

#1. Why can`t you go hunting after you go to church....??????

#2. I believe that this in the MAIN REASON that you don`t want SUNDAY HUNTING....You need to use Sunday to find your dogs.....You don`t want to have SUNDAY HUNTING because if you hunt on Sunday and use your dogs you would still have some dogs running around the woods on monday while your at work.......

#3. I`m a landowner and I WANT TO HUNT ON SUNDAY........

#4. Hunting instills family values.......

#5. Hunting starts in Oct and runs through Dec......That leaves NINE MONTHS for everyone else to enjoy the outdoors........

#6. FALSE.....You can kill more deer in Maryland.......

#7. FALSE......How would SUNDAY HUNTING shorten the season.....?????......Bag limits would remain the SAME and we would enjoy another day of hunting.......So it would EXTEND the HUNTING SEASON by ADDING more days.......SUNDAYS.......

#8. In many states hunting with dogs is against the law.....WE are not trying to STOP YOU from hunting with dogs ..........So why do you want to STOP US from HUNTING on SUNDAYS.....????????
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I personally would like to see hunting be allowed on Sunday, a lot of the guys I hunt with that I've asked about this would not like to see this. So it's a tricky thing, as I'm not sure which the majority would like, but It's not like no one is against this. There are quite a few guys against it.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
While I personally would like to see hunting be allowed on Sunday, a lot of the guys I hunt with that I've asked about this would not like to see this. So it's a tricky thing, as I'm not sure which the majority would like, but It's not like no one is against this. There are quite a few guys against it.

And there are quite a few guys who are for it also. So who should prevail? If it was as big a problem as those who are against it make it out to be then where is their data to prove it? After all there are over 40 states who allow sunday hunting and they should at least be able to back up their problems with facts from these other states. But they can not do that because there are no facts to support their reasoning, none and there are many facts in opposition to their reasoning. So I say either show it is a problem or let the hunters in Virginia have the same ability to hunt deer on Sundays that other states have or even the specialty hunters already enjoy in the state.

See they do not tell you that Sunday hunting is allowed in Virginia but only for special groups. Guess who one of the groups are that can hunt on sundays. See my first posting, yep they are one and the same.

Last edited by vapahunter; 01-27-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sunday???

Originally Posted by vapahunter
See they do not tell you that Sunday hunting is allowed in Virginia but only for special groups. Guess who one of the groups are that can hunt on sundays. See my first posting, yep they are one and the same.
Special groups vapahunter? Last read anyone could coon hunt until 2am on sundays. And racoons are the only thing that you can hunt. I know I know... the definition of hunting is chasin as well... but ifn you cant shoot it in somewayshapeorform then it aint huntin. SO where is the "special group" that your referring to?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alex G.
Special groups vapahunter? Last read anyone could coon hunt until 2am on sundays. And racoons are the only thing that you can hunt. I know I know... the definition of hunting is chasin as well... but ifn you cant shoot it in somewayshapeorform then it aint huntin. SO where is the "special group" that your referring to?
Alex G,

You can hunt on licensed shooting preserves in VA on Sundays. Go to this link, then scroll down to "Unlawful Methods" and read the very first bullet(it's even highlighted).

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ns/general.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.