Anti hunting group in Va >

Anti hunting group in Va

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Anti hunting group in Va

Old 02-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Here is a statement from a group that says it is for expanding hunting opportunities in the state of Virginia. does this look like they want to do everything they can to expand hunting for everyone and provide mote opportunities for new hunters escpecially our youth. Think of them when someone asks if you want Sunday hunting.

Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance (http://vahda.org/index.html)
Sunday Hunting

The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance has adopted a position opposing hunting on Sunday for many reasons. It is first and foremost an expression of the vast majority of our membership, even though all may not subscribe to all of the stated reasons in this paper.

1. The first and foremost reason is our faith. The Fourth Commandment is reason enough to oppose hunting on Sunday. "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. We also recognize that
the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

2. We believe that all can use a day of rest. It is a time to recover and reflect. You may look for lost dogs or game animals, declared by the law to be hunting, but the retrieval of lost sheep is consistent with the gospel. We believe that the hunted also benefit from the day of rest.

3. We believe landowners want a day to rest. To enjoy the quiet of their property, absent their guests of the rest of the week, no matter how welcome they may be at other times. Sunday is a day of reflection.

4. We believe that even the most supportive families would benefit from this positive statement of family values.

5. Other outdoor users appreciate a day to themselves. Without this day, they may turn against the selfish
hunters who demand hunting on Sunday and place all hunting at risk. Remember all hunting is not done on large private tracts.

6. Virginia has the most generous limits on deer kill of any state in the nation. No hunter, no matter how they plead otherwise, is so deprived as not to be able to find an opportunity to hunt during the long seasons. We acknowledge that some of our number have a limited number of vacation days, but believe that resulting public opinion would inescapably be negative, and give antihunters a big hammer to bludgeon us with.

7. Modern wildlife management bases its hunting seasons on range carrying capacities, species reproductive rates and mortality rates. One significant factor in determining any hunting season is the number of animals harvested by hunters. The number of animals harvested by hunters is determined by man-days a field times the success rate. Most studies have shown that typically 40% of total man-hours of hunting occur on Saturday. The addition of Sunday would be certain to require the eventual adjustment of the seasons for most if not all species that are hunted. This would result in the eventual shortening of the hunting season.

The Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance acknowledges that hunters are coming to Virginia from other areas having Sunday hunting. Many areas allow other practices that have also long been against the law in Virginia such as hunting over bait and hunting big game animals in small enclosures. We see no reason to support hunting on Sunday in the Commonwealth of Virginia at this time.

1 http://70030.netministry.com/apps/ar...&columnid=3803

Pay particular attention to this statement: "It is first and foremost an expression of the vast majority of our membership, even though all may not subscribe to all of the stated reasons in this paper."

This is to cover themselves when the attested to representing anyone who donated to them in order to "expand and protect dog hunting" Then they used that fact to say that all donors clubs and members supported their position. They are in league with PETA, HSUS and the Farm Bureau in curtailing hunters from expanding their opportunities to hunt.
I have always been in support of " live and let live",,,but i must admit,, that if a group of people decided that hunting with dogs was somehow wrong,,,i may have to join up! Surely there is some group that would consider leaving your dog out in the cold overnight (because it was busy chasin deer and could not be retrieved) to be unethical! Surely that would have to go against "family values" because little tommy is gonna be bawlin his eyes out all night because the "Family" pet is stuck out in the woods with nothin to eat for days on end until retrieved,,(unless it kills a squirell,,maybe out of season,,,or the neighboring farmers sheep) But what really gets under my skin is a group of people that have to use the Religion card to win an arguement,,,when clicking on the above website for vahda,,nowhere could i find "Religion" or "family values" mentioned! Oh,,,but there is a link for DONATIONS!
Hypocrites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Some of you on here say you're in favor of Sunday hunting, or at least in favor of having the choice. If you are a member of a hunt club, sportsman club and/or association/alliance in Va, you may be supporting VAHDA's view on Sunday hunting. Look at VAHDA's website under "Alliances", if your club is listed...you're supporting their view! http://vahda.org/alliances.htm
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Alex G,

You can hunt on licensed shooting preserves in VA on Sundays. Go to this link, then scroll down to "Unlawful Methods" and read the very first bullet(it's even highlighted).
www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp
Yeah your right and so is vapa, its BS that va stuck that into the State Code.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

people who say no to sunday hunting are as wrong as ones who say no to dog hunting. Remember that fellow dog hunters when making your voice heard, its a personal choice. let hunters hunt when they want.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry but the VDGIF and the law of the state of Virginia disagree with you.If you are chasing animals you are hunting. That is the law so whether you like it or not you should have a license and ARE HUNTING. Also game preserve are hunting birds on Sundays. So you need to get more educated on the laws of the state. You are one of the special group I am talking about by LAW you are allowed to HUNT and deer hunters are not. You are a special group of hunters.
VAPA.... I totally understand the laws. But I am NOT in "special group" you refer too. My comments are based on personal beliefs... to me ( my .02) is that chasing is not hunting, you can chase all you want and be happy with it if you want... and paying to kill birds on a game preserve is not hunting, its killing. Whether your a good enough shot to kill the bird or not is of no consequense, cause your not out there doing the homework, sort of on the same plane to me as getting a guided hunt, so be glad that you can do it all you want, but I choose not to.

Quoted from another site but very appropiate to this.... "My interest is generalized Sunday hunting. The shooting preserves offer shooting....ok hunting.....of pen raised game birds. They aren't supposed to be wild game birds.....they are produced by a grower. My license revenues don't support shooting preserves. I look at it as synthetic hunting. I have no problem with it, and it really doesn't fit into the Sunday hunting debate....IMO. My license revenues do support the lawful Sunday hunting that takes place, but few of us take part in it. I'd like to have access to the kind of hunting I want on any day......but I don't.....this is the basic issue."

Perhaps next year the emphasis should be on getting Sunday Hunting legal for Deer & Turkey on private land first. THen go for it everywhere else.

Last edited by Alex G.; 02-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I dont have access to private land so thats not much of a solution to me
Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

"But I am NOT in "special group" you refer too" But you are as your personnal beliefs have nothing to do with the law. Sorry but if the law is enforced then you are jsut as guilty as those who are shooting the animals. Cahsing is considered hunting. Period.

"I have no problem with it, and it really doesn't fit into the Sunday hunting debate....IMO."
But it does because if it was not hunting then why does it need a special exemption. Read the VGIF statement as to what hunting is and this is hunting in its most commercial form and is allowed. so again opinions do not play into the debate only the laws should.

" I'd like to have access to the kind of hunting I want on any day......but I don't.....this is the basic issue.""
And that is all that the people who support Sunday Hunting want. The choice to hunt any day they want jsut like all the other people whop are "hunting" are aLLOWED.

But that has been banned for another year and then another and then another. This will continue as long as their are exemptions to the current law. Time to remove the exemptions and let those who take advantage of them know what it feels like. Remove all exemption to hunting as it is described in the current Virginia law and then see what happens.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

In case anyone is wondering this group stood up infront of a GA subcommittee and told them that their organization was against all Sunday hunting. This fromn a group whose members are allowed to hunt every Sunday of the year untill 2:00 AM. Talk about a bunch of hypocrites. They ahve stood up numerous times and now are telling every one that they will soon put out a 300 page study that will support their position. Guess how much false informationa nd half truths that will contain. It should be interesting reading for some. The most anti hunting organization in Virginia is the VaHDA bar none.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

In case anyone is wondering this group stood up infront of a GA subcommittee and told them that their organization was against all Sunday hunting. This fromn a group whose members are allowed to hunt every Sunday of the year untill 2:00 AM. Talk about a bunch of hypocrites. They ahve stood up numerous times and now are telling every one that they will soon put out a 300 page study that will support their position. Guess how much false informationa nd half truths that will contain. It should be interesting reading for some. The most anti hunting organization in Virginia is the VaHDA bar none.
It looks as if our adversaries are better prepared and organized than we are. I am just as much to blame as anyone else. We need to drum up support throughout the whole year, not just when the GA is in session.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

"But I am NOT in "special group" you refer too" But you are as your personnal beliefs have nothing to do with the law. Sorry but if the law is enforced then you are jsut as guilty as those who are shooting the animals. Cahsing is considered hunting. Period.
"I have no problem with it, and it really doesn't fit into the Sunday hunting debate....IMO."
But it does because if it was not hunting then why does it need a special exemption. Read the VGIF statement as to what hunting is and this is hunting in its most commercial form and is allowed. so again opinions do not play into the debate only the laws should.
" I'd like to have access to the kind of hunting I want on any day......but I don't.....this is the basic issue.""
And that is all that the people who support Sunday Hunting want. The choice to hunt any day they want jsut like all the other people whop are "hunting" are aLLOWED.
But that has been banned for another year and then another and then another. This will continue as long as their are exemptions to the current law. Time to remove the exemptions and let those who take advantage of them know what it feels like. Remove all exemption to hunting as it is described in the current Virginia law and then see what happens.
Well I'm trying to figure out where the attack is coming from? I don't "Chase", I don't own hunting dogs, I don't coon hunt. And I believe in and want the choice to hunt any day I want too! So how am I in a "special group"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.