Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos >

2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos

Old 10-02-2011, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Quantico 17s Had a morning setup that didnt pan out but got me a little wet and dam cold. Moved around 10 to a group of oaks. I f the wind stopped blowing you could hear a few acorns drop not much but some. I had a 4pt come it 1:30 walked by at 15yds not worth a tag other then some Turkey that was it. I was really looking for a Doe to break my bow in and also it a free deer but if a 8pt or better came by that would have great.
Although I felt it was one of the coldest days in the woods I will take that over hot and Mosquitoes plus it was a good test for the new climber and setup with a bow.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Spike

I went in the afternoon in the 5's. Had three different spots pre-scouted and the first two both had someone already in them so I had to go with choice number 3. Had two does at 20 yards but it was getting late so I didnt take a shot.

I was suprised by the number of hunters out yesterday. I went to Pettigrew in the morning and there several others already there. The last couple of years I hardly saw anyone there the first couple of weeks.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Lebensj-

Yes I agree there where alot og guy's hunting saturday I think it was the excitement of it being deer season again and the fact that we had a rare October cool front that made the deer get up and move especially some of the nice bucks that normally don't move on the hot weather day's.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Has anyone had any luck on Quantico I went scouting today and found some good white oaks on Mainside and there where deer droppings and rubs all around guy took a nice 7 pointer out of PA2 on the 5th other then that it is still quite I'm suprised more big bucks haven't been shot do to the chilly mornings and cold front we had move through
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Spike

I'm brand new to the area and got my license to hunt Quantico just weeks before the season only cuz i live in Prince william and don't know anyone with land.

Any hoo I first want to say thanks to all who have given great insight into Quantico hunting. I have not had the chance to scout like i want to...but that being said i've hit 3 different areas on three different days and have atleast seen deer but i was set up in the wrong tree. I have been into 5b on opening day saw a few doe before i got asked to help track a deer, than tried 6b saw deer just wrong side of creek and finally went to the 17s.

Curious on hunting the archery only areas in 17? thoughts?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

I never hunt the 17s I stay to the front of the base and mainside I no that they have made 17C quite small due to the clear cutting and private property borders. 17s get hammered during the season honestly I don't no them well the best tip I could give you about Quantico is get away from all the other people and hunt Thick
Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Spike

I hunted 6c the entire day today. Pretty slow going. Quite warm with very little deer movement until right before dark.

There was a very nice 10pt brought in to the check station tonight. Very nice symmetrical rack. Was taken mainside.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Spike

Just wanted to thank everyone on here for such a wealth of information on hunting Quantico. As a first time hunter went out a handful of times in Quantico last year with no luck. Hopefully this will be a better year now that I have a better understanding of what signs to be looking for. Always willing to learn and open to advice.