2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos >

2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos

Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd
Grizzle, those buck pictures from Quantico are those from 6C or what areas I took my biggest in 7A in 2002
Mine are 2 from 6C, 1 from 16G
The others are 6B,15A

the 11's,12's are closed allot and harbor big animals. 8 is only open on thanksgiving but is a VIP hunt area.

Mainside is always good but hard to get into
Old 08-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Spike

Hey Grizzle,

Thanks for the advice I killed a doe out of 6C in 2006 and there is a marine guy that kills monsters out of there it seems like every year he has taken 140's and 160 out of 6C. there are a few guys that kill big bucks ALMOST every year and with the bucks being smart on quantico and sometimes personal life coming in the way I 'm just wondering how they do it with no being able to hunt all day everyday I get to hunt late oct-dec Im pretty smart I killed 3 125"+ out of the gun areas on quantico 9B 10A and 7A you said you were planning to hunt a area that has not been open for like 4 years I try to pickup on areas that havent been open for awhile and are you talking about ETA or 2,3,4 or 7A or 8A not trying to invaid your area at all I just like to no info about the areas that havent been pressured I noramlly hunt 14A,7A,10A,14B,16C,PA2 those are my go to spots for seeing big bucks normally suring the rut I would love to find and big buck and hunt him 1 on 1 but its hard becuase either he never does the same thing or he only shows up a night or he is MIA come hunting season it seems on quantico that is you don't get your big buck by the first or second week in NOV it might be next year LOL but there was a older gentlemen last year that hunts mainside strickly and he shot a 160" 10 pointer in Dec with crossbow and he kills big bucks every year he is retired but still its tuff to kill big bucks every year on a heavily pressured area such as quantico I have big buck sightings about every 2 or 3 years I want to get to see big bucks like 3 or 4+ every year and if not atleast every other year I'm defiantly not trying to be concedied I just love the rush when a big bucks is around my tree stand I no this is long but any other advice would be great I totally understand about living in flordia great weather
I know who you are talking about..him, Steve Mercer a PWC Cop, Barry Henningsen and me hunt 6C as a preference. 6c has good genes

You have to have MANY spots as you don't ever know what area is open. 6c,17's are always open and get hammered but if you know the deer..you can get on them. I see 2-3 trophy deer each year..I pass on 125 or less and have been waiting for a 150...I shot this guy last year just because I had gone 4 years without a wall hanger. I have some nice ones on video. I stay away from mainside mostly because of the hassel to get in and I know the west of 95 VERY WELL..I may take a crack by the prison though...some nice deer are being seen. I like 10A too..biking back into the back..the 11's too

Plenty to choose from..but you are right..these deer won't give you many chances..they go nocturnal quick..they make mistakes in the rut
Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Okay cool to know Barry I have seen many times on Quantico but Steve I only reconize from the Trophy Wall on Quantico I have maid the wall 3 times 7A,9B and 10A I like to get away from all the other hunters although I'm younger then most on Quantico I'm a sponge for info and learn quick I have been hunting quantico for 10 year's I made a mistake on quantico and missed a 140+ 8 pointer in 2009 my pendulum sight bottomed out and I shot over him biggest buck I ever saw on quantico had easily a 21+ inch spread but it happens even to the best of them. Barry and Steve put in alot of time bowhunting I was wondering Barry hasnt been on the Trophy Wall in some year's but Steve seems to make it "almost" every year with a huge buck I do landscaping so summer and early fall are hard for me to get out and scout lke I need to so it's hard for me to target a buck with really not any were abouts as to where the deer are I passed a spike in 12A last year and I would love to hunt 11's and 12A more but its not open alot and if it is only for like a week or few day's at the most I like 15A great turkey spot there are alot of areas on Quantico that never seem to have big bucks killed but then again there are areas that get big bucks killed every year such as 16's 10's and 5's I hunted by the prison when it was still a shotgun area and loved it but it's very tuff to bow hunter over there extremely hilly but there are always 140+ deer killed every year over there I enjoy the MAINSIDE such as PA's like PA2 you get to hunt a big area and deer are very acclumated to people and not many guys hunt over there after gun season starts so the big boys come out and the rut is very intense from my experiance I like 16G also but its a very large area yes I understand I saw a huge 14 pointer 5 years ago cross from the park into 16G during shotgun season my uncle in 2004 shot a 135" 8 pointer just right off Joplin Rd he watched the buck cross the road and into 16G in the middle of the day it was 12:30 PM opening day of shotgun season we always new they did it but never actually saw one so that was very cool. I like 11A but that is a very HUGE area and never can seem to find the deer and time ends up running out season ends
14B use to be one of my hotspots but they clear cut where I hunted and it messed the deer trail up
Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

I meant to ask how does that Steve Mercer get on those huge bucks 150+ every year ? especially in the 6C area I have seen some nice ones in the cemetary but when I hunt 6C I'm like there no way those big bucks will come over to get shot LOL and plus I never no where to hunt there weather to hunt the insert road that takes you to breckenridge or hunt the 6C cemetary line and even how far to walk whenever I hunt there is always alot of guys parked there and get wissled off my honest thought about 6C was maybe one day I will see a see and he will be a MONSTER lol be the only deer I ever saw lol yeah Steve's buck was ridiculous big like 160 dressed and 11 or 12 points he shot it in the rain I hunted that day
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

I saw you killed one in 6B you said I would shake your hand on that becuase other then that monster 17 pointer killed in 2009 6B is a VERY HARD place to even see deer I see tons of squrrils but never any deer in 6B I've never had any luck but always thought that it is a underestimated area 8A use to be great but they have built and and clear cut tons in that area I like 7A/9D slipt but they closed that side off becuase they said the road flodded
Old 08-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Quantico Kidd, I'm not trying to be rude, but your posts are basically unreadable. Punctuation is your friend, try it sometime.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Spike

I saw you killed one in 6B you said I would shake your hand on that becuase other then that monster 17 pointer killed in 2009 6B is a VERY HARD place to even see deer I see tons of squrrils but never any deer in 6B I've never had any luck but always thought that it is a underestimated area 8A use to be great but they have built and and clear cut tons in that area I like 7A/9D slipt but they closed that side off becuase they said the road flodded
Steve just puts in the time. Camera's, walking and he hunts hard. Barry hunts state parks for meat and gets all he needs...he's looking for a 150+ and like me video's lesser animals. I expect him to make the board this year though..he's got 1 patterned good...almost had him 2x last year but was 5 yards out...he won't shoot past 20 yards no matter what..same buck ran by me chasin does at 10 yards but couldn't stop him.

Tim, The wildlife biologist, changed quantico's deer management phylosophy a few years back..used to be like in 71/9D..they lock those range gates and you either walked or biked back...that was the day when MONSTERS roamed 9D and the 7's. Now that the gates are open to vehicles..you only see 10A/10C/11 with deep access. Also 9D had that HUGE cutoff thick as all get out..not its grown up.

Sounds like you got a handle on most of the areas...and 3 125's aren't bad!!! 6C is all about finding the does and you stated the trick..everyone walks the cemetary creek and the Breckenridge road..use that to your advantage..when they walk in in the morning..they push the deer to cover and high ground away from the creek/road...be there EARLY waiting...scout the funnel's with cover/laurel in them to high ground. GET IN EARLY and Quiet.

I should be there last week of Oct+ 2 weeks Nov hunting 6days a week all day...be there at checkin at closing and we'll meet!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Okay very cool Steve and Barry defiantly put in alot of time I always hear him talking about alot deer he sees I will defiantly be looking on the board hope he gets the big one this year.

I have a spot in 14A that I found last year and shot a doe out of that has tons on does and I will try to hunt during the rut. I will defiantly try 6C again this year I have not hunted it until 2006.

So that makes sense Tim chaged the phylosophy becuase I use to hunt 7A/9D split all the time and every year I would either see or kill a nice buck becuase those areas where very thick but for some reason the 7B/7A gate is open but the 7A/9D gate stays closed all season and only way to get back there is to walk or use a bike so it does not receive alot pressure anymore becuase most hunters don't want to walk that far.

I got a trail camera picture of a nice buck in 2007 out of 6C but never got a chance to hunt him he was a 7 pointer. I shot my doe in 6C on the powerline between breckenridge rd and the 6C/Cemetary split I always see barry parked at the 6C/Cemetary split you can't miss his vehicle LOL.

I wanted to ask in 6C is it better to hunt the ridge tops thickets or the lower bottoms becuase I get confused in there becuase it can be ver wide open at times and there is deer sign sometimes all over top and bottom so I'm just trying to find out where to bring the deer into a smaller areas therfore I can pattern them easier.

I have a date with a PA2 big buck 140+ I'm hoping lightning strikes twice he always comes by during the rut in this one spot I have. Well I will be looking foward to seeing all of you on the Trophy Wall this coming year.

I normally hunt 6 days a week from Late Oct-first week in Dec I will be having a surgery this Sept so I will miss most of Oct but praying that I will be able to hunt all of Nov.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Spike

Can one of you guys help me get on a deer, like literally any deer, I'm not even after bucks.
I've been hunting for the past 3 years and have not taken even one deer. The only property I have had access to was bow only and I missed a couple on their but have never gotten the chance to hunt with a rifle/shotgun, even though my aim is very good (Im on a rifle shooting team). Im going to be a senior in high school this year and really want to get a deer before college and need someone to help me out and show me the ropes..I've been teaching my self so far. I want to hunt quantico this year, and if any of you older experienced guys could help me out I would REALLY appreciate it!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cvillehunter703
Can one of you guys help me get on a deer, like literally any deer, I'm not even after bucks.
I've been hunting for the past 3 years and have not taken even one deer. The only property I have had access to was bow only and I missed a couple on their but have never gotten the chance to hunt with a rifle/shotgun, even though my aim is very good (Im on a rifle shooting team). Im going to be a senior in high school this year and really want to get a deer before college and need someone to help me out and show me the ropes..I've been teaching my self so far. I want to hunt quantico this year, and if any of you older experienced guys could help me out I would REALLY appreciate it!
Glad you are in the sport. I'll try and help if I can.
1) Do you own a GPS Unit and know how to use it. Do you have mapping software like MAPTECH or MAPSOURCE.
2) Need to get a map of Quantico

I can put you on spots in most areas(gun) areas. If its just "A deer" that should be no problem.

Now what I would suggest is JOIN a CLUB. Like Cub Run Archers in Centerville. Go B&B proshop in Manassas and hook up with clubs there. There are a number of clubs/indoor ranges in NVA. ALL of the older guys are glad to help new hunters/archers and will put you on deer..ya just have to mingle and get to know them.

Again, Google 3-d Shoots in your area and find a club close to you. They'll help with more than getting you on deer. I don't live there anymore so my help is limited.

GOOD LUCK! Answer the above questions in a email to me and I can send some waypoints that should pan out. I got over 500 trees/spots across all the areas in quantico and only hunt a handful in the 3 weeks I got. 35 years of hunting there gives you lots of options. They may be old data but the funnels and patterns don't change much unless the area gets logged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.