Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos >

2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos

Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Spike

Yes that is correct. 10 hunters is the minimum. I am in two groups and each group has about 45 people. There a lot of regulation and hoops to jump through and the group leader signs to accept liability for any accidents and other liabilities. Dailey reports must be turned at the end of the week. Good news it that it is unlimited bucks and does. You have to shoot 2 does for every buck. So if I was capable and shot 10 does today then I could also shoot 5 bucks today. Last year I saw 26 deer in 1 ½ days of hunting and most were with in 20 yards. Only one was a buck and it was a small 8 pointer. I would rather be hunting Quantico.

What counties have all of the acorns in Virginia and are they white oaks?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

The ones I know are Fluvanna, Orange, and Cumberland. Whites and Reds.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I played Golf at Medal of Honor on Quantico this afternoon and there where deer everywhere the course was loaded with Oak's falling I saw tons of Does and even a Nice 8 Pointer with his Velvet off
Old 09-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Spike

That’s good news. Sounds like Mainside may be the place to be.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I'm going to scout this coming Saturday some of my gun areas I'm not sure if the deer will be in one spot or another but from the golf course they where eatting all the oaks that where falling or on the ground it might be tuff once hunting starts pressure will keep the deer in certain spots where they dont have to move much
Old 09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

I forgot to ask is the deer hunting good when there is a oaks falling all over the woods ? I can't recall seeing the deer target the oaks like i've seen this year so far
Old 09-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Spike

I just recently moved up to the DC area after graduating from VT and have been looking at hunting Quantico this season. Ive hunted duck and dove almost my whole life but havent started getting into deer hunting until the last couple years down at school and Im hooked. Ive scouted a bunch of good areas down there and put a friend of mine on his first buck, but im still desperately trying to get mine. Hopefully this will be the year! Yall are obviously way more experienced than me at this so ill leave the trophy dear for yall, I just want something to put in the freezer and to call my first. I'll be down there this Saturday to buy my license and take the class and hopefully scout most of the afternoon. I would ask for some pointers but yall have already shared more than enough info for a rookie like me to get my feet wet. The only time on mornings I can hunt is weekends but I'm lucky that i have a job that I can take half days fairly easy, so I plan on hunting afternoon-evening a couple days a week once the season starts.

BTW - i only plan on hunting with slugs but I am really tempted to buy a bow, been wanting one for a while.

-HB
Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bike man
Yes that is correct. 10 hunters is the minimum. I am in two groups and each group has about 45 people. There a lot of regulation and hoops to jump through and the group leader signs to accept liability for any accidents and other liabilities. Dailey reports must be turned at the end of the week. Good news it that it is unlimited bucks and does. You have to shoot 2 does for every buck. So if I was capable and shot 10 does today then I could also shoot 5 bucks today. Last year I saw 26 deer in 1 ½ days of hunting and most were with in 20 yards. Only one was a buck and it was a small 8 pointer. I would rather be hunting Quantico.

What counties have all of the acorns in Virginia and are they white oaks?
You can only shoot 3 bucks total. Your tags you buy from the state are used for buck tags, the DPOP tags only cover the does. So just to clarify its not unlimited bucks. There is some gray are in the late season i believe but during the regular season buck tags arent provided, at least that was what was told to me.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Spike

About the unlimited bucks. It has been clearly (crystal clear) communicated to me and about 300 other hunters in the program that we can take unlimited bucks. During the regular season we must use our 3 buck tags. After the three buck tags are used, then we can use DPOP tags on the bucks. Out side of the regular season we can use DPOP tags to take bucks. There is some kind of special arrangement between the Fairfax County Police Department and the DGIF. These DPOP bucks are checked in using different procedures than with the DPOP doe. I want to let you know that very few bucks are being shot under this program. I am guessing here, but last year a group (50 hunters) took about 50 deer and only about 3 were bucks. And last year there was a 3 doe quota per buck. I am in two groups and I took 7 does and no bucks last year.

There are other situation where a hunter can shoot more than 3 bucks. As of 4 years ago I had a friend that had a nursery and had a damage control permit to shoot bucks. I could have taken a buck on his property at any time (except Sunday) during the spring or summer. Another situation where unlimited bucks can be taken is the police do sharp shooting at night.

In the park hunts the additional bucks can be taken because it is sanctioned by the police department just like sharp shooting is sanctioned by the police. We are hunting under the authority of the police to reduce the deer herd.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Bike Man, have you ever hunted Mason Neck State Park Quota Hunt ? I have hunted it the past 2 year's and it seems nice if you can draw the first day hunt but after that the deer just dissapear it seems. I decided to not hunt this year becuase they changed a rule to where u must take a doe before u can take a buck and honestly I'm hunting in a park to kill a big buck I've seen a few while scouting in previous years they let you shoot buck or doe and that was nice becuase alot of times the big bucks where grouped up with other deer just was curious since you do alot of fairfax county hunting it seems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.