Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos >

2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos

Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Spike

My memory has been very faulty. In recent years, not sure what year 2,3 or 4 years ago the was a mild rut. The acorns were very patchy, but present in every area. This got just a few does to be trickling into heat all of the time. For 6 weeks it was a trickle rut. The result was little chasing, but many more bucks cruising the woods looking for a doe. They killed a lot of bucks that year because of that. They may have also got a lot of buck by setting up on the lone producing white oak. Does that answer your question?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd
13 has a ton of quality deer and not that much pressure becuase it's really thick and nasty but I find that great becuase I get the area to myself mostly
I like 13 (dalton pond) too when the range gates let you get there. I haven't hunted it for awhile though...seems those weeks I'm there the base is closed down. Only 17's and some archery areas...I'm still waiting to try and followup on some nice buck sign from 2 years ago ..area never opened in my 3 weeks

Sorry to hear about North 9D. That mean you can't access from the base..goto go to Garrisonville Rd West of the base to get into 9D?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Yes it does thank you. I will just hav to see how this year unfolds every year is alittle diffrent I'm getting excited for the season to start I plan to Quaifly for Mainside Saturday I'm after a buck that has out smarted me for two years ever since I missed him
Old 09-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Yes Grizzl, my uncle hunts Dalton Pond and he walks to the very end it always looks like big buck area but 13 seems to hold the big bucks but it seems hard to get them killed for some reason not sure probably becuase of the 9A impact area close by they can jsut run there and hide everytime I sit in 13 I'm always thinking dang a monster is going to show up i'm in 13 LOL
Old 09-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Spike

Access to 9D should be available from 7A road with in the base. We will have to wait and see if it can be accessed from the 9A/9D road from with in the base. Not sure why it was closed. It might be the bald eagle nesting area and I heard that they were doing 200 lbs bombs and that is why. I have no real idea.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Bike Man, Have you been able to do any preseason scouting and if so are the oaks on Quantico doing well or are they hit or miss. I was curious becuase I have not had a chance to sneak out but would like to know so I can come up with a game plan for opening day I do landscaping and I have seen some oaks producing so I'm thinking I should hike way back into a nice areas and get by a oak tree before the rut kicks in.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Spike

I scouted one of my Quantico areas and came up with no acorns. I scouted a Fairfax County park that I am going to hunt and came up with just a couple of trees that had a light crop of acorns and some one else has also found them. I walk for 3 hours yesterday in another park that I am going to hunt and I only came up with 4 spots where there were trees producing. It is sparse. I need to do a lot of walking. All of my good spots are going to be bad. I need to find that gold mine of one good white oak.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I defiantly need to get out on foot and do some scouting then might make it tuff but if we are able to find one good producing white oak then sounds like we will hit a gold mind
Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Bike man,

I was doing some research on hunting parks if fairfax country, and it looked like there were some pretty limiting requirements. If I remember right you couldn't even apply without a group of 10 hunters. Am I completely off base?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

It's raining acorns in parts of Central Va right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.