HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Virginia Senate Bill 850 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/338585-virginia-senate-bill-850-a.html)

VAhuntr 01-18-2011 04:44 AM

Virginia Senate Bill 850

I urge all Virginia hunters to contact their representatives in support of SB 850 which would put an end to the ban on Sunday hunting.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?111+sum+SB850

Edited to add: There are a few 2nd amendment bills that need our attention. The link I provided is an excellent source for searching and tracking these bills.

Terasec 01-18-2011 05:24 AM

I am not from VA,
but this reminds me of a thread i start elseswhere,
concerning No Sunday Hunting,
being a mostly weekend hunter, obviously am against banning sunday hunting,
really limits alot of peoples hunting experiences,
ban on sunday hunting started when people were missing church to hunt,
well not everyone goes to church, and some go on other days other than sunday.
for states that have such bans i would like to see them at least make sunday a youth day,
that would force many parents to bring their kids hunting more often,
and would alleviate some of the pressure from saturday hunters,

VA5326 01-18-2011 06:38 AM

Fellow Hunters,

If you want to end the ban on Sunday hunting you have to make an effort and contact your representative. Let's get this over with once and for all.

VA

UFunny2 01-19-2011 05:25 AM

Oh boy...here we go again !!! I have in the past and will continue to contact my legislature on this subject. I work Mon-Sat and only have Sunday off. If it wasn't for sick leave and holidays, I probably wouldn't be able to hunt at all...

scottycoyote 01-19-2011 06:37 AM

ill do it today

Eyedr 01-20-2011 12:13 PM

Please get those emails to the State Senators. Here is a list of the Senators with their email addresses;

Member Name<> Email Address Party District
Barker, George L. [email protected] D 39
Blevins, Harry B. [email protected] R 14
Colgan, Charles J. [email protected] D 29
Deeds, R. Creigh [email protected] D 25
Edwards, John S. [email protected] D 21
Hanger, Emmett W., Jr. [email protected] R 24
Herring, Mark R. [email protected] D 33
Houck, R. Edward [email protected] D 17
Howell, Janet D. [email protected] D 32
Locke, Mamie E. [email protected] D 2
Lucas, L. Louise [email protected] D 18
Marsden, David W. [email protected] D 37
Marsh, Henry L., III [email protected] D 16
Martin, Stephen H. [email protected] R 11
McDougle, Ryan T. [email protected] R 4
McEachin, A. Donald [email protected] D 9
McWaters, Jeffrey L. [email protected] R 8
Miller, John C. [email protected] D 1
Miller, Yvonne B. [email protected] D 5
Newman, Stephen D. [email protected] R 23
Norment, Thomas K., Jr. [email protected] R 3
Northam, Ralph S. [email protected] D 6
Obenshain, Mark D. [email protected] R 26
Petersen, Chap [email protected] D 34
Puckett, Phillip P. [email protected] D 38
Puller, Toddy [email protected] D 36
Quayle, Frederick M. [email protected] R 13
Reynolds, Wm. Roscoe [email protected] D 20
Ruff, Frank M., Jr. [email protected] R 15
Saslaw, Richard L. [email protected] D 35
Smith, Ralph K. [email protected] R 22
Stanley, William M., Jr. [email protected] R 19
Stosch, Walter A. [email protected] R 12
Stuart, Richard H. [email protected] R 28
Ticer, Patricia S. [email protected] D 30
Vogel, Jill Holtzman [email protected] R 27
Wagner, Frank W. [email protected] R 7
Wampler, William C., Jr. [email protected] R 40
Watkins, John [email protected] R 10
Whipple, Mary Margaret [email protected] D 31

The following I got from another forum, but these 2 Senators need some special attention:
ok i finished. tell everyone to call and write:

From facebook: "It is looking like Monday January 31st is going to be the big day. The full committee is going to open to comment Senate Bill to 850 Sunday Hunting. I am being told that this is the day to fill the room with supporters. A good showing can make the difference and help with our effort to drown out the opposition. I have posted a discussion topic where you can post your intent to attend on that day.

We have already gotten word that the following are NO votes:
Senator Obenshain (804) 698-7526 representing Harrisonburg City, Page County, Rappahannock County Rockingham County, Shenandoah County, Warren County and Senator Hanger (804) 698-7524 representing Albemarle County, Augusta County, Greene County, Highland County, Lexington City, Rockbridge County, Rockingham County, Staunton City, Waynesboro City.

These Senators need to hear from you whether you live in their district or not. They are making decisions for the entire state and are representing us all not just their constituents. Let your voice be heard. "

VAhuntr 01-20-2011 03:15 PM

House Bill 2442 is would also allow hunting on Sunday.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...111+sum+HB2442

ButchA 01-20-2011 07:09 PM

Hey guys,

I wrote letters the other day and got these emails back in return...

From Senator Mark Obenshain

Dear Butch,

Thank you for writing me about SB 850 regarding the repeal of the prohibition of hunting on Sunday. Hunting is an important activity in Shenandoah Valley and throughout the Commonwealth, and I have been a strong advocate of the rights of hunters, and of the right to bear arms more generally.

I have, however, decided to oppose allowing hunting on Sunday. Although the original rationale for the Sunday hunting ban is not as compelling as it may once have been, a day's rest from hunting has proven advantageous for other reasons, expanding opportunities for the enjoyment of public land for non-hunting outdoor activities, and as such, after consultation with hunters and outdoorsmen, I have decided to oppose ending the ban on Sunday hunting.

Thanks again for writing me, and please do not hesitate to contact me again if you have any further questions or concerns.

With best regards,
Mark D. Obenshain
Virginia State Senator

Senator Mark D. Obenshain
P.O. Box 396

Richmond, VA 23218

(w) www.markobenshain.com
(e) [email protected]

From Senator Emmett Hanger

Thank you for your contact regarding Senate Bill 850 that would permit Sunday hunting. Though I understand in this busy, workplace-orientated world it would be nice if hunters had an additional weekend day to hunt; I must stay true to my beliefs and honor Sunday as a day of rest for all God’s creatures.

I know so many hikers and bird and horse enthusiasts that use Sunday to enter our woods safely. I would be happy to work with our hunting enthusiasts to see if there are ways to extend the overall hunting seasons so they can have more time in the woods as well but just not on Sundays.

I will therefore continue to oppose Sunday hunting.

Thanks so much for your input!

Emmett Hanger

From Senator Chap Petersen

To: Carter "Butch" Ammon

Thank you for your email in support of SB 850. As the chief patron (and an active Virginia hunter), I am proud to support our constitutional rights regarding hunting and fishing in the Commonwealth.

Senator Chap Petersen

For what it's worth... I really vehemently disagree with Senator Hanger's opinion in his email that he sent me. I have not written a reply just yet either.

*sigh* We Virginians have our work cut out for us... :s13:

VAhuntr 01-21-2011 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by ButchA (Post 3761187)
Hey guys,

Dear Butch,

Thank you for writing me about SB 850 regarding the repeal of the prohibition of hunting on Sunday. Hunting is an important activity in Shenandoah Valley and throughout the Commonwealth, and I have been a strong advocate of the rights of hunters, and of the right to bear arms more generally.

I have, however, decided to oppose allowing hunting on Sunday. Although the original rationale for the Sunday hunting ban is not as compelling as it may once have been, a day's rest from hunting has proven advantageous for other reasons, expanding opportunities for the enjoyment of public land for non-hunting outdoor activities, and as such, after consultation with hunters and outdoorsmen, I have decided to oppose ending the ban on Sunday hunting.

Thanks again for writing me, and please do not hesitate to contact me again if you have any further questions or concerns.

With best regards,
Mark D. Obenshain
Virginia State Senator

P.O. Box 396

Richmond, VA 23218

(e) [email protected]

Thank you for your contact regarding Senate Bill 850 that would permit Sunday hunting. Though I understand in this busy, workplace-orientated world it would be nice if hunters had an additional weekend day to hunt; I must stay true to my beliefs and honor Sunday as a day of rest for all God’s creatures.

I know so many hikers and bird and horse enthusiasts that use Sunday to enter our woods safely. I would be happy to work with our hunting enthusiasts to see if there are ways to extend the overall hunting seasons so they can have more time in the woods as well but just not on Sundays.

Emmett Hanger

Thank you for your email in support of SB 850. As the chief patron (and an active Virginia hunter), I am proud to support our constitutional rights regarding hunting and fishing in the Commonwealth.

Senator Chap Petersen

For what it's worth... I really vehemently disagree with Senator Hanger's opinion in his email that he sent me. I have not written a reply just yet either.

I plan to email my my Senator shortly.

Eyedr 01-21-2011 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by ButchA (Post 3761187)
Hey guys,

Dear Butch,

With best regards,
Mark D. Obenshain
Virginia State Senator

P.O. Box 396

Richmond, VA 23218

(e) [email protected]

Emmett Hanger

Senator Chap Petersen

I too recieved the same email responses in return.

I also recieved an email from Sen. Frank Wagner and he is FOR Sunday hunting. We need to keep up with the emails and phone calls. If we are never heard, the laws will never change.

Thanks to everyone who has written a letter/email or called.