Bird hunting in S Fla >

Bird hunting in S Fla

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Bird hunting in S Fla

Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Spike

Default Bird hunting in S Fla

I'm in Palm Beach county and I'd love to start hunting birds with a dog. I'm not really looking to hunt waterfowl. I'm considering getting a Brittany as a pet/hunting companion/bird retriever. It's not going to be a really serious type of thing for me (not enough time to get serious. 4 girls 7 and under + 1 unknown coming in July), but I'd really like to get out there. The problem is that I don't have any idea where to go. Google makes it sound like I'd find as many birds on the moon as I would around here. Any ideas? Also, am I correct in believing that the dog would also have an interest in other small game? Obviously a dog bred for birds wouldn't be the best dog for squirrels or rabbits, but would she even be interested? I'd just like to have fun and have the dog be involved in the hunt, instead of along for the walk. What do you all think?
Thanks, Gas.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Spike

Anybody? How about small game? That's in season, now. I wouldn't mind getting something to share with my daughters. Too bad my wife won't eat wild game. Oh, well, at least my daughters want to try it.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gasnmyveins
Anybody? How about small game? That's in season, now. I wouldn't mind getting something to share with my daughters. Too bad my wife won't eat wild game. Oh, well, at least my daughters want to try it.
Hey, I'm not a bird hunter but may be able to connect you with a friend in miami that can probably help. Now, how far are you willing to drive? That is something you need to take into consideration when hunting public land in florida. PM me and I'll give you more information.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had Brittany's and they are great, but alot of Grooming.....We switched to German & Spanish short hairs!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I did the Britt thing in Texas....Give me a GSP any time...Plus the heat will be hard on a Britt...