HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   What to do when you see a black bear (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/334327-what-do-when-you-see-black-bear.html)

Christianthebuckmaster 11-16-2010 06:18 PM

What to do when you see a black bear

Well i live in Virginia and hunt Grayson county, pine mountain national forest alot. I have noticed alot of hunters telling me that their are alot of black bear.Ive never ran into a bear in the woods or while im hunting. Season isnt in on black bears here in Virginia at deer season time. So what do you do when you see you a black bear while hunting?

ADVWannabee 11-17-2010 03:59 AM

I have hunted in SW Virginia in bear country for almost 20 years and have yet to see one. Would love to see one but not up real close. :)

My younger brother has seen one and his ex-wife shot one with a crossbow. They were deer hunting together and a bear came in on his wife while she was in a ground blind. It paced around about 15 yds out and was working his way closer. She decided to make the first move and shot him. He ran about 20 yds and dropped. It was bear season though so I don't know what she would have done if it wasn't bear season. I have a pretty good guess though. ;)

bowhuntr09 11-17-2010 06:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8pRJ7jV94

Alex G. 11-19-2010 09:46 AM

Actually..........

Actually it is Bear season in Va during Deer season. Bear ends Nov 12 which is the last day of Deer muzzleloader season.
The bear that you will see though will be more warry of you than you will be of them. Most of the time you will never see one if you are walking thru the woods, but you have a good chance of seeing them if your in a stand, but once they get your scent... their gone!

huntnma 11-20-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by bowhuntr09 (Post 3723631)

awesome video.......don't know how you stayed calm....when this happened to me, I screamed as soon as that last foot came off the ground.......you're such a role model, lol.

bowhuntr09 11-20-2010 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by huntnma (Post 3725653)
awesome video.......don't know how you stayed calm....when this happened to me, I screamed as soon as that last foot came off the ground.......you're such a role model, lol.

That wasn't me, just a video I saw on another forum. I did walk up on a bear within 10 feet in the dark going to my stand one morning. I think he was bedded and as I approached he got up. He didn't run, he just kept looking at me so I started slowly backing up while telling him what a nice bear he was :)

oldshedhunter35 11-20-2010 05:39 PM

Consider yourself fortunate lots of folks go there entire life and never see 1...

hardwoodhank 11-20-2010 07:37 PM

First day of Black Powder this year I was about 30 ft up before the sun completely came up in Hanover, VA and saw 2 juveniles playing like kids. By the time I had enough light for my binoculars or scope they had moved on.

2 years ago while scouting and putting out trail cams I experienced one at about 30 yrds. I had a backpack full of corn, and actually had my video camera but it was drizzling pretty good and had it wrapped in my pack. I was crossing a dry creek bed (about 5 ft wide and 4 feet deep and slid in the mud on the way down. As I stood up I was eye level with about a foot above the other side ground level and he never saw me...luckily. I know I have a few on my lease and have put out peanut butter jars at camera sites but never have gotten one on film.

Dixon 11-28-2010 01:39 PM

Well, the first thing I do is hope that the big bulge in the back of my trousers is just my shirt all bunched up. :)

greenswampman34 11-28-2010 02:14 PM

tie some chicken around ur neck and run the other way to get him out of ur area lol