South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Rut Watch

Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hardwoodhank
Ive been out the last few days, solely to see what stage they are in. I grunted a 6 within 30 yrds and drew back on him but binoculars fell and spooked him before I could set my pin on him. I have rattled a few other bucks in, but Saturday morning I was in a prime bedding area before 5:30 am and decided to see how they responded to the tinks 69. The sun came up, I grunted twice and rattled a cadence for about 45 seconds and within 2 minutes had a nice 8 pt down. He was inches from tinks wick with nose in the air. His neck was as wide as his shoulders and I could smell he was in rut...for sure! I believe the cold weather has kicked it in a little early this year,at least on my leases in Hanover county and Louisa County.

NICE DEER!

Hopefully I can get one like that this year.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

about 2 weeks ago I pulled the memory chip from my game cam and had a nice wide 9 pointer on there mounting a doe a couple times.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

ruts in on quantico, bucks running everywhere
Old 11-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Hoyt, I hunted quantico all fri and sat and saw bucks both nights but they where small bucks how come the big bucks are not chasing hard yet ? are the bigger bucks going to start chasing alittle more as this week starts that meaning the 11/8-11/13
I have talked to guys down there and they said bucks are chasing but most of the big bucks that were killed they said where not chasing does they where just coming threw the woods seeking does so let me know bud would appriacte it kinda fustrating becuase been putting in hard time and just seeking small bucks chase to me seems that the wall hangers are just takign there time to chase and get started
Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Spike

I saw does, spikes, and 4's today, the little bucks were on the move and the does didn't want anything to do with them. I also had 2 does come by this evening with no bucks in trail. Next week should be good IMHO. Nov 10 thru Nov 13 is prime time.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

I was in the GWNF fri and sat and saw does but no bucks around them. My dad saw bucks and does together but not chasing or even interested? Good sign though but just no chasing? Im back in SE VA now so after this week maybe i can offer some good info on around here.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

I was out Thursday, Friday and Saturday and saw nothing. Saturday night I heard one shoot around 430pm and that was it. I really dont think the deer are that hot in the Westmorland area. I have seen a lot of rubs and plenty of fresh scrapes but not running around. seem like the rut is a little latter this year to me.

Last edited by bushanic; 11-08-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd
Hey Hoyt, I hunted quantico all fri and sat and saw bucks both nights but they where small bucks how come the big bucks are not chasing hard yet ? are the bigger bucks going to start chasing alittle more as this week starts that meaning the 11/8-11/13
I have talked to guys down there and they said bucks are chasing but most of the big bucks that were killed they said where not chasing does they where just coming threw the woods seeking does so let me know bud would appriacte it kinda fustrating becuase been putting in hard time and just seeking small bucks chase to me seems that the wall hangers are just takign there time to chase and get started
I dunno man, I've been experiencing the same thing. Just been seeing little bucks chasing, its highly frustrating. In hinesight, now i wish i would have shot one of em, I've got the fever real bad now! i just can't get out as much as i want. Drivin me nuts, and gun season starts this weekend too.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

I pulled out of my neighborhood this morning near Roanoke, VA and had a deer cross the road in front of me. He had his nose to the ground like a dog so I knew he was a buck. I put the headlights on him and he was a youngish 6 ptr. He stopped and looked a me a few seconds and then put his nose to the ground and continued on.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a medium sized seven pointer on Sat. morning. His neck was not that thick, but he sure smelled of the rut. His glands were leaking pretty good. He was definitely searching. My hunting partner saw a one antlered buck mount a doe and she stood and took it. They both ran off with a yearling in tow. He saw what he thought was a bigger buck on the outskirts and it went in the same direction as the others. About fifteen minutes later the one antlered buck came back looking like he just took an a$$ whoopin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.