South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Rut Watch

Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Stopped chasing on base early last week, with all the hunters, alot are gonna go nocturnal and move to less pressured areas.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out 5 full days between Oct 30 & Nov 10th, split between Chesterfield Co and Caroline Co, and I never saw a single buck. In fact, I only saw 3 does slinking together in Chesterfield (no shot), and two does dashing across the woods in Caroline with their flags flying. NO responses to grunts, bleats or rattling. I went to Craig Co Nov 12-13 and saw a doe with her tail out, looking for love, a spike that I took with his nose to the ground, and huge buck (when not hunting, of course!) cross a road in broad daylight and run clear across a filed and into the mountain forest.

I am hoping the rut was on in the more mountainous regions of VA but not yet in Central VA, 'cause if I missed it then I must have had some sorry luck!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

Finally got a deer last night! It was a young 7 pointer. His neck was swollen a little, but not much.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Finally got a deer last night! It was a young 7 pointer. His neck was swollen a little, but not much.
Congrats! The spike I took wasn't that swollen either, and his tarsals weren't all that black. How do we determine whether those bucks were in the beginning or ending phase of the rut? Like I said earlier, I hadn't seen jack as far as deer activity goes in Central VA from Oct 30 - Nov 10.

Then there's that moon phase prediction that says the rut won't get hot until next week. I don't know if I buy that.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Its hard to tell based on Necks and Tarsels.. Young Deer wont show as much of that sign as older deer most of the time, in some cases they will but usually deer 3yrs or older are the ones your gonna find swollen, and smelly. Now as far as the rut goes its a little tricky i find. One place where i was hunting the activity was out of this world, saw mutiple bucks chasing, and different bucks everytime. But only 30 mins down the road the bucks werent chasing at all...dont know what to think of that. My friend texted me from Roanoke said they were going crazy so far this week on his place, but my other buddy in Shenandoah County says its quiet...Its just weird and like i said i have places fairly close together and one place was going off last week, while the other was dead quiet in comparison and both are loaded with deer.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

Central Virginia was rockin last few days of October until about November 15th.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Spike

i went out this mornin in amelia wind was blowing pretty hard, at about 7or so had 2 does come in walked about 30 yrds from the stand then proceded to go on their mary way . at about 820 a really nice buck came down the same path . i chose not to shoot and now im kicking myself (REALLY HARD). im trying not to beat myself up over it but its hard not to. that is the first buck that i have seen any where near a doe, so im thinking its kickin in .well gl every1 i report more later i hope .
Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

I saw about 7 or 8 deer dead yesterday on 295 and 288. Thats usually a good indicator that things are heating up.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

I believe that between this wekend and just after Thanksgiving the second phase of estrous will be on. I have rattled in an 8 and a high basket 6 with a decoy but not the buck I have been pursuing since I harvested my 8 on opening BP. Stick to it this week and for sure the action will pick up for the remainder of the next week or so. Im seeing good sign, and with the hounds pressuring the club lands, my private land is holding alot more seeking sanctuary...until tomorrow morning! Ive found that by just tickling a set of antlers (rattling) for the first few minutes in stand, followed by a few bawls you will get the attention of any buck in hearing distance. Settle down for another 20 minutes and then let loose with grunts and rattling unless you already see him coming (just dont forget the lure of your choice), the mature bucks will be on the scout for the hot does as the younger ones may not be so visible with all the pressure from the last week or two. I have had great luck, at least where I hunt in Western Hanover.

I had my decoy out about 30 yrds fom my blind on a clover field on Wednesday doing some heavy rattling...nothing. I decided to sneak out for about 30 minutes to go move a climber I had on a tree and come back. When I came back my decoy was trashed and my trail cam got a really nice symetrical 8 on film putting a mike tyson on "bucky". Needless to say I was a bit heartboken. I bet the late morning, with the moonphase and barometric that the late morning on saturday has to offer is when you will see most of the activity. The second cycle of estrous is going on as we speak Im sure, and with the chilly mornings and late afternoons look at edges of fields.

After this, its gonna be a slow season for us that hunt in stands on private land. Im fortunate to be bordered on 2 sides by clubs. My north border is a 12' wide creek and if the dogs cross after the deer, I know the hunters wont, so I will be there for them!

Good luck, keep your chin up and an eye open. Its coming back around for the next week!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting since the bow opener and I haven't seen any indication the 1st rut has happened yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.