Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
youth day in va. >

youth day in va.

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

youth day in va.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Spike

Default youth day in va.

well im getting my stuff ready for tomorrow. takeing my little brother for his first whitetail hunt .we have a great set up with standing corn behind us ,oak dropping acorns like crazy to the left of us and an over grown field to the right with 5 or 6 shooting lanes cut in it .i hope all of the hard work pays off . hope everyone else that takes a youth hunting tomorrow has a sucessful day as well. good luck an i will be posting our results on monday .
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck to you and your brother. Teach him well.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

good luck to you & your brother and to all who goes out tomorrow. I will be taking my 6 1/2yr.old son out and he will be using a .410, hopefully the deer cooperate with this heat. will post tomorrow if we have any luck.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Good Luck! Hope he gets one!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

It was 94 degrees here in Richmond. Needless to say saw nothing. Hunted Henrico in the morning and Hanover in the afternoon.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 AM
Spike

Hope all went well.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

yep.. it was 94 in the afternoon.... but was in the low 70's in the morning... deer still move when its warm out...
Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Spike

well it was an exciting mornin ,got in to our box stand at 545 to hear all kinds noise in the oaks but couldnt see anything .Finally the sun come up but everything got quiet.there was nothing moving all mornin couldnt believe it. It was about 10am ands i look to my left and there he was at about 50 yrds) faceing away from us . We were waiting for him to turn broad side but he dicides he wants to lay down .After laying down i ask my brother if he could see his bodie but he said no ,all he could see was his head so i told him to just wait he will get up sooner or later, so we waited . After 30 to 45 min. i see another buck walking toward the buck laying down (he was smaller).The smaller 1 walked past the buck laying down and that made him get up , still no shot. So we watch as they spar a little (which was cool a first for me ) then they start to move to our right .I tell my brother when 1 of them hit the shooting lane to put the scope on him an pull the trigger. well when he pulled the trigger i thought he had hit him . The buck jumped about 3 ft in the air an mule kicked .I thought for sure he had gotten him but when we went to look there was nothing, no hair or blood . I think he was a little upset but i told him it happends . although we didnt get a deer it was probly the best hunting day ever. we will get him next time .I had to pick with him a little so i told him we will get a closer look at him when i put a bolt through him lol. well thats our story .ALL in all it was a GREAT DAY.thx bro for the memory
Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

Droptine8, you may want to go back and look some more. I don't know how long you looked or how far you went but last year I shot a nice buck and didn't find blood until over 100 yards away. I just about gave up when i didn't see any blood or hair where he was standing. I decided since i could see his tracks in the field i would track him by that. I followed those to the field edge then I saw my first signs of blood. I ended up hitting him too far back, barely clipped his liver by 3 inches. Once I got to the field edge he was only 40 yards into the woods. The things that made me want to look more was 1, he had some nice head gear (14 points) and 2, when i shot he took off like a rocket but when he got to the woods he hunched up just before he went out of sight. I know since it has rained now it will be harder but it may be worth your time to take a day and walk and search in the direction he ran. Grid search or circles or both and you may walk up on him. Either way it was a good story!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Spike

JERRR, We looked up and down , i even went back on sunday with a cpl friends.We walked the whole bottom where they ran and didnt find anything .I to have shot deer and not find any blood and then a cpl hrd yards later i find them laying on the ground but not this time i was hopeing to find him but i really think he missed .Ill be going back this next week to finish up some stands so ill be looking for buzzards just in case but we gave an honest effort to find him .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.