Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

baking soda

Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default baking soda

I've heard that baking soda is good to cover your sent. Seems like it would work to me. What do you'll think?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

baking soda obsorbs odor I don't think it gets rid of it. So by using backing soda you will obsorb all the odors surrondings it but the backing soda itself will smell like everything around it.

It might work if you put it in your plastic tote your clothes or in but IMO its best to keep it in the fridge lol.

Fork over the $5 for a bottle of scent away instead of baking soda...
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Spike

I use it to wash my hunting clothes and it works
Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 AM
edb
Spike

I've used baking soda for about 20 years and it does help as much as anything on the market. The box that is made for the fridge with the fabric sides is by far the best and yes it does absorb scent. I don't advise putting it direct on your body as it is gritty and abrasive so it will cause chaffing and really dries your skin out, after all it is salt.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is this what you want?
Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

¼ cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo

Let sit for several days (milk jug works good with lid loose) This recipe is also good for removing blood from your hands in the field after dressing your critter.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Spike

Baking Soda is all I've ever really used to wash my clothes in and seems to work just fine! Plus I'm super cheap and don't feel like spending money on fancy detergent . . . Baking Soda and hunt the wind . . . . WAY Cheaper
Old 04-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking I went to baking soda and borax for cleaning "soap"

both are non scented unlike some detergents are and they do not emit any UV ultra-violet light.
Plus it's a lot cheaper than either commercial or hunting detergent and offers advantages to a hunter.

And I use baking soda as an ingredient in homemade scent killer.

Of course, the newbie country club hunters have to keep using the real expensive kind.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

my first form of scent control was baking soda sprinkled on my clothes in a rubbermaid tub. I didn't have to listen to the does blow everytime I walked into the woods when I started doing that. I will tell you though that when you wipe your mouth with clothes covered in baking soda... yucky tasting stuff! But it works.

rw
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Spike

Use it all the time. Wash clothes with it and hang them on the line. "Do Not" bring them inside. Put them in plastic bag with leaves and stuff if you want.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a great toothpaste also. Really cleans the teeth and gets the odors out of the mouth which supposedly deer can smell.