Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Relocated to the South, Need Advice! >

Relocated to the South, Need Advice!

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Relocated to the South, Need Advice!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Relocated to the South, Need Advice!

Alright friends, this will be the first year I won't be able to go hunting in my home region. You see I'm a midwest boy born and raised in NW Ohio hunting the big corn fed deer. However the wife is a Lutheran School teacher and received a call to Central FL and we were off. So I need your help getting started in a new region, the new game opportunities excite me, I'll have a better chance at some turkeys, as well as deer. I'm excited to get out and shoot some hogs. So help me out here, what kind of gear do I need, specifically boots? I'm strictly a bow hunter, so any advice would be welcome. Thanks guys!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the south.

The first things your gonna want to get are a good pair of waterproof snake boots and a thermacell. Everything else is pretty much the same though. mosquitos ticks and chiggers are real bad down here so your goging to wanna take extra percausions. With all this water this year the snakes are also bad. I saw several cottonmouths this past weekend for the archery opener.

If your planning on hunting public land FL has alot of places to offer but the hutning pressure is extreme in most areas. Your going to have to scout you a good spot and stake it out because people will be quik to hunt your area. If your going to be down here for a while I recommned finding a local management area that is quota only so there is less pressure. Try the myfwc.com website for specifics...
Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

My advice...........................................I 'd go back to Ohio during bow season.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Wish I could afford to hop on back to Ohio for a quick hunt but sadly that isn't going to be possible.

Alpine, Thanks for the advice, luckily I already have a thermacell and pretty much knew moving down here required a good pair of snake boots; I've been researching and shopping for those already.

Until I find some private land to hunt on I'm looking at public only. Any thoughts on the Ocala National? I'm a 45 min drive south of there and I believe that is a management area. I've poked around on the fwc site some and it has a lot of useful info but there's nothing better than hearing it from a fellow hunter and I thank you.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I live about 15 minutes south of Ocala and would never recommmend hunting Ocala WMA. If your looking to get shot in the back by trigger happy idiots than thats a great place. Lots of stupid and unethical hunters out there. Overcrowding is definatley an issue also. There was a few "accidental" shootings out there a few years back and alot of other shady stuff going on in that area.

Where about do you live? I'm in citrus county shoot me a PM if your close and I'll let you in on a few spots that are public and not to bad for hunting... Most of the beter WMA's are going to be quota only so you'll need to wait till next year for the drawing or use someones buddy permit...
Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by daveyrock
Alright friends, this will be the first year I won't be able to go hunting in my home region. You see I'm a midwest boy born and raised in NW Ohio hunting the big corn fed deer. However the wife is a Lutheran School teacher and received a call to Central FL and we were off. So I need your help getting started in a new region, the new game opportunities excite me, I'll have a better chance at some turkeys, as well as deer. I'm excited to get out and shoot some hogs. So help me out here, what kind of gear do I need, specifically boots? I'm strictly a bow hunter, so any advice would be welcome. Thanks guys!

Forget hogs and turkey(not really) it's time to give that bow a transformation and go after stingray and gator. Bowfishing is very exciting and action packed and flordia is a great area for it.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Spike

I have had some good success hunting in Ocala WMA bow hunting. I would hunt there more if it was closer to me.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to HNI,
I've been hunting in central Florida since..about 6 years now..maybe 7.
BOOTS
From my research you really don't need "Snakeboots" I use the LaCrosse Burley boots. They are pretty thick rubber and we got about 60 inches of rain so far this year..water will be an issue..I saw a pretty good snake video in my classroom last year..and a man in a snake pit of diamond backs was striken by rattlers..they never pentetrated the rubber boots. I ordered the best snake boots made from Cabelas..I could tell they were going to wear blisters on my feet so I returned them..This of course is my opinion follow your conscience.I wear La Crosse Burly rubber boots. 69.00

Hunting...hunting in our WMA is flat out tough...Your best shot at scoring is during archery because then and only then can you take a doe. Our deer taste wonderful down here. You will need to scout , scout and scout to score..luck rarely works here. Turkey hunting is decent here as well. Obey the rules as you will be stopped by a gamewarden. Unlike the north hunting..you rarely hear the deer or hogs..they will just appear out of no where because our swamp floor is damp..so use your eyes alot.Most of our deer are in the 100-110 pound range but I've seen them as big as 190..There are some brutes in there with nice chocolate racks.

God bless ,
Chuck7
Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks for all the advice, I finally saw some deer on my drive through Deland close to the Seminole Forest this morning taking my wife to Daytona. First deer I've seen since leaving Ohio(Got me excited)

I'm not a hunter to shy away from a challenge, and am looking forward to it, I've been given some good spots to look at and can't wait till I can get out there and do some scouting and try and get a game plan drawn out.

I am excited in getting into some bowfishing as well, but one step at a time.