Early Urban Archery in VA >

Early Urban Archery in VA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Early Urban Archery in VA

Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Early Urban Archery in VA

Finally got out for the first time this year, and man it was great to be out in the woods again. I decided to sit on the ground behind on old Pizza oven (aka suburban ground blind) behind this womens house where i hunt in Northern Va to hopefully get a doe in the freezer and get my EAB. At first light wouldnt you know it i saw a nice 10 point at 30yards, then shortly after a 2.5 yr old 8 point walked in with in 5 yards of me, followed shortly by a forkhorn at about 5 yards too.. I was just so excited to see some deer and close, non of them got spooked too which is great. I saw a bunch of does, all out of range of course but i was just amped to be in the woods.

When i walked out i was talking to the neighbor where i hunt too, and his wife came out and told me a whole herd was in the backyard. Wouldnt you know it 12 does in their garden, they were encouraging me to get one, so i took a 53yard shot with my bow, and drilled a hearty doe, got lungs and heart. In the words of the landowner "perfect shot". thankfully i practice to 70 for when im out west and to push myself. I shoot about 2inch to 3 inch groups at 50. It was such a great morning, and it wasnt hot either which was nice.. Just felt good to be back in the woods.

Anyone else getting out for the early Archery Season? Hoping to see that 10pt in about 2 weeks if you catch my drift.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

I've been out for times already. Seen deer each time out. Majority does. Only two deer have presented good quality opportunities. Those two reside in my freezer now. I hope to burn my remaining bonus tags from last year before they expire. Like you, its been good to get back into the urban woods.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

Lost my urban archery area this year. Someone waived cash in the landowners face and he grabbed. Guess if I want to hunt it next year, I might have to do the same.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

I have been out twice so far and seen 4 slicks. None of them close by for a shot. Hopefully I will see something in range during the regular season and maybe something that's got some nice headgear. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Went out again this past weekend, set my friend up in a good spot, about an hour into the hunt he shot a nice doe. I sat up the road from him and saw 3 bucks and 3 does, 2 of the little bucks were sparring 10 yards from me, fun to watch them. But im screwed for the next 3 weekends!!! So no opening morning hunt for me. I have a wedding to go to every weekend. I wish you all luck that can get out there. I might have to take a day or two off of work so i dont get to ansy!