HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   VA: How to start at Ft. AP Hill (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/32366-va-how-start-ft-ap-hill.html)

Chubber 06-27-2003 10:20 AM

VA: How to start at Ft. AP Hill

My brother in law just found out that he is moving to a little town just south of Fredricksburg. So, I might be able to stay with him and hunt AP Hill this year. I want to make sure I get all of the paperwork out of the way as soon as possible.

Does anyone know of a good single source for all of the info I will need to get set up on AP Hill? Also, what about pre-season scouting and familiarization?

Please let me know.

Chubber

CAPT BRAD 06-27-2003 12:07 PM

RE: VA: How to start at Ft. AP Hill

chubby,

try
www.dgif.state.va.us/

they have a # for ap hill in there

also try quantico

ButchA 06-27-2003 12:58 PM

Hey there...

I have a few buddies that have hunted Ft. AP Hill. They say it' s really good, but you have to go through a safety course before they even think of letting a public hunter on their base. A minor P.I.T.A., but no big deal...

Butch

02bhntn 07-03-2003 07:53 AM

http://www.aphill.army.mil/

THis is the link to " THE HILL' S" website. I have been hunting this place for about 15 years now and have taken some mighty big deer out of there. Actually, when you go to the link and clidk on the recreation at the top of the page and then go to hunting you can see some pictures of some of the big deer of recent years. Mine is the top left.:D

To hunt there you must have a hunter ed certificate or proof of course completion and view a safety film (15 min). Pay your $30 and after that you are free to hunt. Scouting usually starts around Sept and continues up until gun season. Threre is only one thing that I would caution on. There are all kinds out there. Some know what they are doing and some don' t . Keep in mind that this is a public hunting facility and you know what happens on public land. I usually hunt ther heavily during bow and ML seasons. I ALWYAS skip opening week there. It is not worth it in my opinion. I don' t feel the need to get up at midnight to go get in line to get a spot to hunt. I usually hit " THE HILL" after the first week after all the opening weekers get the itch scratched. After opeining week it is wide open and there are plenty of deer running around.

I live exactly 20 minutes from the GCS on the post, so I spend a lot of time there. It will take you a while to figure out the base and the better hunting spots. All I can say is get there and get you feet wet. You can' t beat it $30.00 for 45,000 huntable acres.

Chubber 07-03-2003 08:33 AM

Thanks for all of the good advice. I did visit their site and read everything on the website and some other peoples comments.

I am used to hunting public land (about 80% of my hunting is on public land and I can relate to your comments about " those who know and those who don' t."

A couple of quick questions please, as it seems like you really know your stuff.

1) Can I watch the safety film early in the scouting season and get all of the preliminary stuff out of the way?

2) Can I expect to find trees worthy of treestands? In general, what kinds of ecosystems will I encounter?

3) I dont want you to give away all of your " secret spots" but, in general, where should I concentrate on while scouting? I can' t scout 45,000 acres, and if I have to take a spot that I am unfamiliar with, then what do I do?

4) Are there any maps that I can get a look at to match against topo maps and other stuff so I can do some " armchair scouting" in the summer? AP Hill is a big place and not all of it is huntable, so the topos that I have of the whole base don' t help me in focusing my research.

I have to help my bother in law move in early August and I want to take a gander around the place while I am down there. I have been up and down Route 17 a bunch of times, but I have not done any other looking around. Is the base open enough to go in and take a look and find the GCS and other stuff before I have to find it at 4:00 in the morning?

Thanks again,

Chubber

02bhntn 07-03-2003 10:30 AM

Actually to go scouting you have to have your base permit. So to answer your question, as soon as you want to get out there and scout you can get your permit and safety stuff out of the way.

There are trees well worthy of stands. 90% of the folks there hunt out of treestands. You will not have any problem finding a tree for your stands.

Most of the base is the same. Rolling hills mixed with ravines and valleys, swamps, food plots and power lines. I would concentrate on the oak flats for the scouting purposes. From the oak flats you can actually see the trails and such leading to and from the bedding areas. The base is borken up into 31 TA' s (Training Areas). Not all are open at the same time. I would make several scouting trips to the base and select two areas on each trip and go out and walk them. It took me 8 years to get a real handle on almost all of the areas on post. It takes a while but I would do two areas per trip. You will get a feel for the areas and you will be able to locate draws and flats, bedding areas and water sources.

There are all types of habitats for the deer from swamps to food plots. There are open oaks and pine/laurel choked thickets. I would start out on the NW side of 301. That is the side with the GCS, BTW, it is easy to find.

http://www.aphill.army.mil/hillmap.asp

This is a link to the basse that shows how the base is broken up into it' s 31 areas. The game check station is locate in area 23 right on the main strip, aptly named " AP hIll drive" . It is located about 1/2 mile beyond base housing.

There are tons of deer in all the areas, I would start scouting in 7,11,12,15,18, 20,21. They are all very productive areas and will give you a chance of harvesting good deer.

I get my aerial photos and topo maps from the following site

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...=1318&z=18&w=2

Chubber 07-03-2003 10:55 AM

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I hope to log some serious time out scouting this fall so I am ready for the season.

I hunt blackpower mostly, even during regular rifle season. How hard is it to get one of your first two choices during BP season? When should I show up there to have the best shot?

Chubber

02bhntn 07-03-2003 11:38 AM

I have never had a problem getting into any area I wanted to during bow, ML or regular gun season(after the first week). Just keep in mind that the area the you want to hunt in may not be open for hunting that particular day. It all depends on the training schedule for the troops. That decision is made sometime after 1400 on the day before. Meaning, if you hunt the evening before they will usually have the open areas for the next day posted by check out. If not call 1-804-633-8300 (recorded message) sometime the evening before you go.

BenfromVa 07-10-2003 06:38 PM

Chubber,
May I ask what you primarily hunt with? Gun, ML or Bow, Email me if you would like, I live in Stafford and hunt all over NOVA.

Chubber 07-14-2003 07:11 AM

I use my muzzleloader 90% of the time. It is a CVA Hunterbolt 50 Cal. This summer I am working on getting a scope on it, but I have been using the firesights the last two seasons.

When I am not using the ML, I use a Mauser, 8mm with iron sights. Also very accurate as far out as I can see a deer in the woods.

I have been hunting the GR Thompson WMA out near Linden off of I-66 for the last two years, but have been skunked. Never even saw a legal deer and I put in at least 10-15 days a year in the woods. So, I am thinking of new areas and new tactics. My brother in law just got a job in Bowling Green (but got an apartment 40 minutes down the road...) so I was thinking that would give me a place to crash and try hunting AP Hill. I live in Falls Church, so it would be a two hour drive for me otherwise.

Chubber

May I ask what you primarily hunt with? Gun, ML or Bow