Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia Deer Hound Training Season >

Virginia Deer Hound Training Season

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA
View Poll Results: Would you support this season?
yes
38.64%
no
61.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Virginia Deer Hound Training Season

Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Spike

Default Virginia Deer Hound Training Season

In the state of Va running fox with dogs 24/7 365 has been legal for probably over 50 years now and just recently a bear hound training season was passed We are long overdue for a deer hound training season my proposal would go like this: A Deer Hound Training season would run from the conclusion of the general firearms season until April 1st of each year. It would be legal to train hounds 24 hours a day, 7 days per week during this time. The training season would be closed from April 1st until Aug 15th. The training season would start again on Aug 15 and run until two weeks before archery season. This season would not interfere with the birthing and maturing of fawns and also would not interfere with Archery or muzzleloader seasons. If you would like to sign a petition for this check out my site.

http://rootemupkennel.yolasite.com
Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

Here we go again. The chasers want more. Now they want to legally upset the deer right before bow season. Taking all the studies aside who here feels that it takes more than 2 weeks for the deer to calm down after being chased? And for what? They've been doing fine for many years without a, uhum, "legal" training season. What real need is it for a training season? So they can hear hounds? Go run in the pens if you want to hear hounds.

But I'll be willing for a compromise. Get rid of RTR, dogs on prohibited lands and set a min acreage, a licensing and penalty system similar to what GA. and some other states have. Then you can train all you want - on your own lands.

Last edited by Bigg~BirddVA; 01-13-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, a deer getting jumped by a dog automatically has a nervous breakdown and will be impossible to kill two weeks later. That's why the deer harvest rates are just soooooo low in all the states where all sorts of doghunting seasons either directly precede deer season or coincide with it. The lack of logic and common sense never ends....
Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Spike

You let us have Sunday hunting and I will support your training of dogs.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Yep, a deer getting jumped by a dog automatically has a nervous breakdown and will be impossible to kill two weeks later. That's why the deer harvest rates are just soooooo low in all the states where all sorts of doghunting seasons either directly precede deer season or coincide with it. The lack of logic and common sense never ends....
LOL ! Years of trail cams and personal experience show that deer go nocturnal if chased by dogs. It takes some time, a month or so for them to start back to a normal (daylight) movement. Besides want to chase deer? That's fine with me but keep it on your own lands. I'm not for banning it, just not for allowing impact in any form on prohibited lands. That means no dogs across property lines and no RTR. Enough is enough and a change is long overdue.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Wow... this will just about eliminates the need to actually spend time in the woods and scout the property before bow/muzzleloader season. I might as well just put my climber in the church parking lot or just pick a spot... any spot. Also.... so much for the spring turkey season as well, the birds will just be roosting "all day long" with the dogs in the woods 24/7.

I propose Sunday hunting be allowed for all huntable game species and dogs only be allowed to run on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Here's some info from the MS DNR on running Deer hounds out of season.

http://home.mdwfp.com/wildlife/species/deer/articles.aspx?article=44

"Give 'Em a Break

In a research study conducted at Mississippi State University, Jake Bowman (1996) found that captive fawns on good nutrition could survive and grow normally if they became orphaned after they reached 60 days of age. This is partly due to the fact that fawns do not become functional ruminants until they are roughly 2 months of age. In other words, they are dependent upon their mother=s milk until this time. Depending on what part of the state you are in, the peak of the rut can occur from early December to late January. With an average gestation period of about 200 days, the majority of the fawns are born from July to September. In South Mississippi, the peak of the rut typically occurs the last of January. Research in this part of the state has shown that only 18% of the fawns have reached 60 days of age by October 1st. From the samples taken, 100% of the fawns reached 60 days of age by November 19. Because of the possibility of orphaning fawns less than 60 days of age, the MDWFP adopted regulations restricting antlerless harvest until the Saturday closest to November 1st.

Another activity which could potentially have a negative impact on the local deer herd is Atuning up@ dogs prior to deer season. Dog owners often get their dogs in shape by running deer before the opening of season. Although there is merit in this strategy, another recommendation would be to conduct this activity within the confines of a fox or coyote pen. Does can easily lose their fawn(s) if they are stressed excessively in the latter stages of pregnancy. Various observations have indicated that these does have been caught and killed outright, drowned while crossing rivers, or aborted their fetuses while being pursued by dogs. Also, all new-born fawns are vulnerable to a host of predators, including hunting dogs. Although fawns are born relatively scent free, this protective measure of nature only lasts for a short period of time.
The MDWFP has supported and continues to support the ethical use of dogs as a legitimate and traditional method of hunting white-tailed deer within the state. Ethical use means the harvesting of deer within the rules and regulations established by the MDWFP. Ethical use also entails that hunters using dogs hunt responsibly, have adequate acreage on which to run, control their dogs so no property damage occurs and do not infringe upon the rights of landowners and the general public. Is it ethical to tune dogs prior to hunting season? I guess that would depend on your own perspective. One thing is for certain, the key to any successful deer management program is recruiting fawns into the local population for future harvest. Fawns already face a multitude of adversities that threatens their survival; so why not give em a break? "
Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Spike

Well put! Give em a break!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bigg~BirddVA
Here we go again. The chasers want more. Now they want to legally upset the deer right before bow season. Taking all the studies aside who here feels that it takes more than 2 weeks for the deer to calm down after being chased? And for what? They've been doing fine for many years without a, uhum, "legal" training season. What real need is it for a training season? So they can hear hounds? Go run in the pens if you want to hear hounds.

But I'll be willing for a compromise. Get rid of RTR, dogs on prohibited lands and set a min acreage, a licensing and penalty system similar to what GA. and some other states have. Then you can train all you want - on your own lands.
what do you mean a compromise its not your decision besides who would take advice from someone that would stoop low enough to bait and catch a dog doing what it was trained to do in a coyote trap I'd be willing to bet that you don't even hunt close to many dog clubs I think your just out to stir up a bunch of controversy If you have problems with hunters in your area call the law enforcement harming peoples pets is not the answer thats just going to make things worse.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by fishinsoap
You let us have Sunday hunting and I will support your training of dogs.
I'm not stopping you or anyone from having sunday hunting I'd like to have sundays during archery and muzzle loader seasons but, you guys can have the rest of the sundays I'll be at home resting my legs from chasing after those dogs got to keep them where they belong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.