Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Hope on Sunday Hunting Ban >

Hope on Sunday Hunting Ban

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hope on Sunday Hunting Ban

Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Heck...guys can drink, smoke, have sex, smoke while having sex, drink while having sex, cuss, cuss/smoke/have sex simultaneoulsy .....and all on Sundays."

That's what chapps my behind.I can take my boat to the lake, drink beer,ski,go to a Nascar race ,golf tournament,Strip bar,regular bar ,shoot pool, just about any kind of recreation you can imagine.But I can't hunt. This should have went out with the "Blue Laws" I'll still fight for it but it is getting down right discouraging.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Virginia Mike.... you getting all this?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FLBandit
I lived up in VA during the late 70's and early 80's. You may well have a hard time getting the law changed. When I lived there stores could not be open unless they sold food. They finally allowed Auto parts stores to open on Sundays, but there was quite a resistance to it. I remember ads on TV against it and everything. I wish you luck.
Bandit I remember to. It got to the point that stores would just open on Sunday and pay the fine.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Virginia Mike
Hey Guys,

I have spoken to Rich Anderson, just elected as Delegate in the 51st District, and he is willing to move forward and help get rid of this ban. He is a retired Air Force Colonel and a great guy. I know that there are a bunch of you that have been involved for a long time with this. Are any of you willing to sit down with me and the Delegate and brainstorm on why this hasn't been defeated and how we can move forward? I would like to have some facts and figures in hand before I schedule a meeting. His office contacted me after the elections to get together and meet. Let me know what you guys think.
Mike my House Rep also supports SH and introduced a bill several years back. IMO a bill would pass the House and Senate, but that doesn't matter because it will be killed in committee. It's key to put pressure on these committees:
http://sov.state.va.us/SenatorDB.nsf...5?OpenDocument

http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios...a?OpenDocument

SH bills have passed in the past only to be killed in these committees.

It would also help for any VAFB members to put pressure on that org. My family and I discontinued our association(40+years) with them because of their position on SH.

The VHDA is another (well documented) problem, consider their past efforts to block SH if they ask for your help.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Flippinstk
Mike,

Here is a report from North Carolina that was used. You could glean some good info from it. http://www.nctws.org/pdf_docs/sunhunt.pdf

Also some great comments here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...g-inside_x.htm

But it sounds to me like one of the biggest agruements to allow Sunday hunting is because I believe it will help the economy and give working people, including myself, more time to enjoy the sport.

r/
Alex
You can guess who's trying to block the effort in NC to lift their SH ban.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

Another group here that will try to block it is the dog chasers org. or VAHDA. They claim religious and other reasons to oppose but it's the fear that 7 days of dog chasing and no break for weeks on end will push even more against their "sport". And they need Sundays to gather up lost dogs. They can't hunt Sundays having to work on Monday so they don't want you to hunt either. They don't even want Sunday bow hunting as they're afraid to let the camel stick it's nose under the tent.

Remember their support when they want you to support dog chasing.

Another aspect on the fight is why can people shoot game birds on a private game preserve on Sundays? You need a hunting license to do that so it's considered hunting by the state. Seems like some sort of preferential exemption in the law and that's not legal or fair. Birds shot with a shotgun are just as dead as a deer shot with one. Hunting is hunting and if one group gets to do it all should. Also coon hunters can hunt to 2AM Sundays. Sunday is Sunday no matter if it's only 2 hours. I'll would be real happy to get a couple of hours on a Sunday evening to bowhunt next October.

Last edited by Bigg~BirddVA; 01-10-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guys,

There is some real good information on this thread that I will use and I love the educated discussion. Sorry for the delay in replying for a while, I have been out of the country for work. I am going to try to get together with Delegate Anderson in the next 2 weeks and put together a game plan. keep the discussion going if you have time.

Mike
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Also Sundays will just about double the amount of $$$ hunters will spend in their favorite hunting county. More lunches, gas, supplies, overnight accommodations = more taxes for the counties. Everyone makes out better. In this time of cut backs and slow downs another day of customers might mean a lot to small mom & pop operations in rural areas.

And hunting is the last act in the whole state that's prohibited just because it's a certain day of the week.

http://www.ideas.virginia.gov/conten...sunday-hunting
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I also would like to see this stupid law done away with. I agree with all that this is not a good policy to further our sport.

I hopw all goes well and it gets to the point where it can be reviewed and hopefully passed.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Swampdog
"Heck...guys can drink, smoke, have sex, smoke while having sex, drink while having sex, cuss, cuss/smoke/have sex simultaneoulsy .....and all on Sundays."

That's what chapps my behind.I can take my boat to the lake, drink beer,ski,go to a Nascar race ,golf tournament,Strip bar,regular bar ,shoot pool, just about any kind of recreation you can imagine.But I can't hunt. This should have went out with the "Blue Laws" I'll still fight for it but it is getting down right discouraging.
maybe you should stop drinking, cussing, and smoking while having sex and your behind won't get chapped but on another note I could use a few more days during archery and muzzleloader seasons and I know them dog chasers aren't gonna give up any of their season oh yeah I'm one of them can I still go hunting on sundays

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.