Hope on Sunday Hunting Ban >

Hope on Sunday Hunting Ban

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hope on Sunday Hunting Ban

Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Hope on Sunday Hunting Ban

Hey Guys,

I have spoken to Rich Anderson, just elected as Delegate in the 51st District, and he is willing to move forward and help get rid of this ban. He is a retired Air Force Colonel and a great guy. I know that there are a bunch of you that have been involved for a long time with this. Are any of you willing to sit down with me and the Delegate and brainstorm on why this hasn't been defeated and how we can move forward? I would like to have some facts and figures in hand before I schedule a meeting. His office contacted me after the elections to get together and meet. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sunday hunting? Been there, done that....

Groups against Sunday hunting
PETA
VA Farm Bureau
Horseback Riders
Bible Thumpers
...and believe it or not
Fellow hunters!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Spike

I wish you the best of luck. I really want to be able to hunt on Sundays, but the Farm Bureau and the bible thumpers have a very strong lobby. Not to mention the left leaning northern virginians dont like us hunting any day. I know McDonnel said he would be in favor of hunting on private land on Sundays, but politicians will say whatever to get elected, but try not to do anything once elected.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I lived up in VA during the late 70's and early 80's. You may well have a hard time getting the law changed. When I lived there stores could not be open unless they sold food. They finally allowed Auto parts stores to open on Sundays, but there was quite a resistance to it. I remember ads on TV against it and everything. I wish you luck.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Farm Burea has its position because of the Bible Thumpers.

But some things have changed . . . . and there is hope, though I wouldn't bet on it till Ken Cuccinelli is governor.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Sunday hunting ban is a clear violation of the equal protection clause of our constitution. We have a lot of men and women who work their tails off each week, and yes even on Saturdays. If they work 5-6 days each week and are only afforded the ability to hunt on Sundays, what are their hunting options?.....none. So the blue collar worker specifically is not protected. Those guys that can take off work days and have Saturdays off can hunt. Those who cannot take days off or have family responsiblities during the work week cannot hunt at all. Where does that leave them? It leaves them not hunting.

Not only that, who is the state of Virginia to tell private property owners what they can and cannot do on their own land using legal hunting methods? It is disgraceful that people think they can control others and their happiness due to their OWN religious thoughts. There has not been one biological study that shows hunting on Sundays is hurtful to the wildlife of Virginia, not one. So that shows the Sunday hunting ban is an obvious case of religious bullying. I am not knocking religion. I am knocking the lack of understanding that we have separation of church and state. And a Sunday hunting ban should also be prohibited as not being a separation of church and state.

More on, it is embarassing that a small group of people can prevent people from enjoying life by curtailing their freedom via a Sunday hunting ban. And that includes hunting on public WMA's throughout the state on Sundays. Does the public and government not understand that sportsmen pay for those lands via their license fees and taxes on hunting and fishing supplies?

I was unable to hunt the entire month of December this year due to my wife's work schedule and the Sunday hunting ban. I could not find hardly any time to hit the woods at all, except on Sundays....but there is obviously no hunting on Sundays so I was SOL.

Last edited by virginiashadow; 01-06-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by virginiashadow
I think the Sunday hunting ban is a clear violation of the equal protection clause of our constitution. We have a lot of men and women who work their tails off each week, and yes even on Saturdays. If they work 5-6 days each week and are only afforded the ability to hunt on Sundays, what are their hunting options?.....none. So the blue collar worker specifically is not protected. Those guys that can take off work days and have Saturdays off can hunt. Those who cannot take days off or have family responsiblities during the work week cannot hunt at all. Where does that leave them? It leaves them not hunting.

Not only that, who is the state of Virginia to tell private property owners what they can and cannot do on their own land using legal hunting methods? It is disgraceful that people think they can control others and their happiness due to their OWN religious thoughts. There has not been one biological study that shows hunting on Sundays is hurtful to the wildlife of Virginia, not one. So that shows the Sunday hunting ban is an obvious case of religious bullying. I am not knocking religion. I am knocking the lack of understanding that we have separation of church and state. And a Sunday hunting ban should also be prohibited as not being a separation of church and state.

More on, it is embarassing that a small group of people can prevent people from enjoying life by curtailing their freedom via a Sunday hunting ban. And that includes hunting on public WMA's throughout the state on Sundays. Does the public and government not understand that sportsmen pay for those lands via their license fees and taxes on hunting and fishing supplies?

I was unable to hunt the entire month of December this year due to my wife's work schedule and the Sunday hunting ban. I could not find hardly any time to hit the woods at all, except on Sundays....but there is obviously no hunting on Sundays so I was SOL.

Very well said. I hope within McDonnell's term this can be accomplished, atleast on private land.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by virginiashadow
Don't feel bad... I didn't even get out AT ALL!! That's right... I ended up skipping this entire season, and never even bought a hunting license!!!

I got put on the graveyard shift at work a year and a half ago, and it really messed me up inside. I had no life, and hardly saw my family (wife worked days, daughters were in school, and I worked nights). So to be honest, I really didn't have much time to do anything and was always too tired and too cranky, to try and go hunting.

Thankfully, I just got re-assigned to the dayshift this past week after much begging and pleading with management. So, now I have to spend some time getting adjusted back to daylight hours and get back into the swing of things.

Even with working nights, I even worked a weekend night too, and ended up sleeping on Saturdays, so I couldn't hunt anyway. Now with my new work schedule, I work Sunday - Thursday, and have Friday & Saturday off. But, it's a little too late to get a license and try to go out hunting.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Butch, I work at a 24/7 facility as well. I am currently working 12 hours shifts so life is a lot better. I was stuck on the swing team where you work both mornings and afternoons, and the 3-11pm team for 2 years. It really messed my family life up. I am so happy to be back working 645am-645pm.

Best of luck to you. I am happy that you are back on days and can enjoy your home life and hunting.

Brett
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Virginia Mike
Hey Guys,

I have spoken to Rich Anderson, just elected as Delegate in the 51st District, and he is willing to move forward and help get rid of this ban. He is a retired Air Force Colonel and a great guy. I know that there are a bunch of you that have been involved for a long time with this. Are any of you willing to sit down with me and the Delegate and brainstorm on why this hasn't been defeated and how we can move forward? I would like to have some facts and figures in hand before I schedule a meeting. His office contacted me after the elections to get together and meet. Let me know what you guys think.
Wow... you've been handed a great oportunity! Good luck and I really hope that the members actually supply what you asked for: facts, figures, and recommendations for a way forward. I know that New Jersey just got their sunday hunting ban lifted for this past season, perhaps it would be a good idea to contact some members from NJ that were involved in their lobbying effort and get their perspective. Experience in a positive outcome will always pay dividends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.